Apr 3, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
We all know parking can be a real challenge in downtown Manhattan – if not downright impossible.
But according to MotorAuthority.com, Ford is taking parking a new brand new 2015 Mustang convertible to a whole other level – like 86 levels up, you might say.
To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first time it pulled off the same PR stunt when it introduced the Mustang convertible at the 1964 World’s Fair, Ford will once again reenact it by parking a brand new 2015 model atop the Empire State Building observatory on April 16-17.
Now, admit it, one of the first things you thought when you read that was, “How the heck did they get it up there?”
Did they put it on an elevator? Did they drive it up 86 flights of stairs (with some admittedly really tight turns)? Did they lift it up there by helicopter? Or how about a crane?
The answer to all four of those questions is one and the same: nope, nope, nope and nope.
The Mustang is being cut into relatively tiny pieces – for a car, that is – and will then be reassembled atop the New York City landmark.
Ford has even made a kind of race out of taking the Mustang from ground level to the top level: after getting all the cut-up parts up to the 86th floor, company engineers will have just six hours to reassemble it.
And then, two days later, those same engineers have to do it all over again, but in reverse.
Let’s hope they make a couple of extra copies of the blueprints, just in case one gets picked up and blown away by the notorious winds atop the ESB.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 1
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 2
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 10
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 53