Apr 3, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
This was a bit lost in the shuffle this past week, but good on the Verizon IndyCar Series for providing a 411 primer on how the new Manufacturer’s Championship points standings work after the opening round of the season, the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.
A simplified 9-6 points system was in play each of the last two years, for the top eligible driver from either Chevrolet or Honda earning the manufacturer points. Chevrolet has taken both of the last two championships.
Now, with the manufacturer points awarded to the top five drivers overall, there is a chance for greater fluctuation race-to-race.
Here’s why: After St. Petersburg, Chevrolet leads Honda 122-72. Via IndyCar.com, here’s the breakdown:
50 – Points to race winner Will Power, No. 12 Verizon Team Penske
35 – Points to third-place Helio Castroneves, No. 3 Hitachi Team Penske
32 – Points to fourth-place Scott Dixon, No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing
2 – Bonus points to Power for leading the most race laps (74 of 110)
1 – Bonus point to Power, Castroneves and Mike Conway in No. 20 Fuzzy’s Ultra Premium Vodka car for Ed Carpenter Racing for leading a lap
40 – Points to runner-up Ryan Hunter-Reay, No. 28 DHL Andretti Autosport
30 – Points to fifth-place Simon Pagenaud, No. 77 Schmidt Peterson Hamilton Motorsports
1 – Bonus point to Takuma Sato, No. 14 ABC Supply car for A.J. Foyt Racing, for earning Verizon P1 Award
1 – Bonus point to Sato for leading a lap
More points will come both at the Indianapolis 500 qualifying rounds and the three 500-miler race weekends, where double points will be awarded.
Video from NASCAR America
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 0
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 3
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1