Apr 3, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
This was a bit lost in the shuffle this past week, but good on the Verizon IndyCar Series for providing a 411 primer on how the new Manufacturer’s Championship points standings work after the opening round of the season, the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.
A simplified 9-6 points system was in play each of the last two years, for the top eligible driver from either Chevrolet or Honda earning the manufacturer points. Chevrolet has taken both of the last two championships.
Now, with the manufacturer points awarded to the top five drivers overall, there is a chance for greater fluctuation race-to-race.
Here’s why: After St. Petersburg, Chevrolet leads Honda 122-72. Via IndyCar.com, here’s the breakdown:
50 – Points to race winner Will Power, No. 12 Verizon Team Penske
35 – Points to third-place Helio Castroneves, No. 3 Hitachi Team Penske
32 – Points to fourth-place Scott Dixon, No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing
2 – Bonus points to Power for leading the most race laps (74 of 110)
1 – Bonus point to Power, Castroneves and Mike Conway in No. 20 Fuzzy’s Ultra Premium Vodka car for Ed Carpenter Racing for leading a lap
40 – Points to runner-up Ryan Hunter-Reay, No. 28 DHL Andretti Autosport
30 – Points to fifth-place Simon Pagenaud, No. 77 Schmidt Peterson Hamilton Motorsports
1 – Bonus point to Takuma Sato, No. 14 ABC Supply car for A.J. Foyt Racing, for earning Verizon P1 Award
1 – Bonus point to Sato for leading a lap
More points will come both at the Indianapolis 500 qualifying rounds and the three 500-miler race weekends, where double points will be awarded.
- WATCH LIVE: British GP Race Day on CNBC and Live Extra from 7:30am ET 0
- What to watch for: British Grand Prix (7:30am ET on CNBC and Live Extra) 0
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0