Apr 3, 2014, 5:08 PM EDT
With word coming that Texas Motor Speedway’s new “Big Hoss” video board will receive certification Sunday as the biggest of its kind in the world from the Guinness Book of World Records, we thought we’d pass along another record-setter.
For all of you who hate cutting grass, and particularly those who’ve resorted to doing it in style by buying a riding mower, no matter how fast or classy yours is, it’s no match to the Honda Mean Mower.
And this is on a motorsports blog, why? Well, you might say this is grassroots racing at its most unique.
After all, while you crank around your yard at maybe three to five mph, wouldn’t you like to be riding something that is so tricked out that it can hit a top speed of just over 116 mph?
You read that right, over 116 mph. Ergo, it’s the fastest riding grass mower in the world.
So says Guinness … courtesy of our friends at MotorAuthority.com.
The Mean Mower set the record a month ago at the Idiada Proving Ground in Tarragona, Spain, with a record-setting top speed of 116.57, nearly 30 mph faster than the previous mark of 87.83, set in 2010, according to MotorAuthority.com.
Admittedly, this isn’t exactly a stock riding mower you can pick up at, say, Home Depot or Lowe’s. It’s got a 1,000-cc motorcycle engine that allows the four-wheel mower to reach 62 mph in four seconds.
Oh, and the MM may have only scratched the surface of how fast it can go. It reportedly was built to eventually hit 130 mph.
Oh yes, and one more thing: it can still cut grass quite nicely – at about 15 mph, roughly three times faster than your riding mower. Something tells me you might want to add this to your “gotta have” list.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0
- Report: Roger Penske intends to keep his ‘four aces’ in IndyCar 0
- Mario Andretti gets Jay Leno up to speed — and then some 1
- NHRA: Antron Brown looks to make Top Fuel fireworks this weekend 1
- MAVTV 500: Despite being nerve-racking to crazy, drivers glad safety won out 2
- WATCH: IndyCar’s frantic, thrilling MAVTV 500 to re-air at midnight ET on NBCSN 6
- Nelson Piquet Jr crowned first ever FIA Formula E champion in thrilling London finale 1