Apr 4, 2014, 2:53 PM EDT
It’s no secret that NASCAR is doing everything it can to attract new fans, especially young ones.
You know the scenario: hook ’em young and you have ’em hooked for life.
Sprint Cup driver Martin Truex Jr. is certainly doing his part in promoting the youth movement.
According to Motor Racing Network’s Dustin Long, a group of Canadian first graders has adopted Truex as their favorite driver.
And in so doing, the kids from Front of Yonge School in Ontario province hope to change the miserable luck Truex has had thus far in his first season with Furniture Row Racing.
Truex quipped on his Facebook page after a crash in practice at Fontana two weeks ago, “Does anyone have a good luck charm I can use for…oh I don’t know, the rest of the season??”
Carla Bangma’s students picked up on that and sent Truex a video serenade of “Bring It All Back,” which includes lyrics such as “Your time is coming around, so don’t you stop trying” and “Don’t stop, never give up, hold your head high and reach for the top.” (See the video below)
The class also sent him a book it put together called “Awesome Truex” that touted Truex’s humanitarian efforts, his love of hunting and fishing, and even his dog Boden.
With a group of cheerleaders like that, maybe Truex’s luck will indeed finally change this Sunday at Texas Motor Speedway.
He sure needs any luck he can get: he’s currently 28th in the Sprint Cup standings, 122 points – essentially the equivalent of three full wins – behind series leader Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 0
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 6
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 2
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 6
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0
- Hinchcliffe released from hospital, expected to make full recovery (VIDEO) 5