Apr 4, 2014, 6:45 AM EDT
Michael Schumacher is having “moments of consciousness and awakening” according to spokesperson Sabine Kehm, as doctors continue to try and wake him from his medically-induced coma.
The seven time Formula 1 world champion suffered a severe head injury in a skiing accident at the end of last year, and has been in hospital at Grenoble ever since under close scrutiny from a team of doctors and neurosurgeons.
Following many conflicting reports from unofficial sources, Schumacher’s management has now released the following statement:
“Michael is making progress. He shows moments of consciousness and awakening. We are at his side during his long and difficult fight, together with the team at the hospital in Grenoble, and we keep remaining confident.
“We would like to thank you all for the continuing sympathies. At the same time we again ask for understanding that we do not intend to disclose details. This is necessary to protect the privacy of Michael and his family, and to enable the medical team to work in full calmness.”
As with any head injury, it is incredibly difficult to make assumptions or cast a judgement without being directly involved with the case, meaning that official statements such as the one issued today are very valuable.
In a touching gesture, the Bahrain International Circuit has named its first corner after Schumacher ahead of this weekend’s grand prix. This encouraging news from Grenoble is only set to lift spirits in the paddock as the F1 community continues to lend its support to Schumacher and his family.
- Hamilton may have won again, but it was Raikkonen and Rosberg who stood out in Bahrain 5
- Scott Dixon breaks through for elusive Long Beach win 2
- Hamilton pleased to fend off Ferrari in Bahrain despite last lap brake scare 1
- Hamilton puts on a show under the lights to win Bahrain GP 6
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0