Apr 4, 2014, 6:45 AM EDT
Michael Schumacher is having “moments of consciousness and awakening” according to spokesperson Sabine Kehm, as doctors continue to try and wake him from his medically-induced coma.
The seven time Formula 1 world champion suffered a severe head injury in a skiing accident at the end of last year, and has been in hospital at Grenoble ever since under close scrutiny from a team of doctors and neurosurgeons.
Following many conflicting reports from unofficial sources, Schumacher’s management has now released the following statement:
“Michael is making progress. He shows moments of consciousness and awakening. We are at his side during his long and difficult fight, together with the team at the hospital in Grenoble, and we keep remaining confident.
“We would like to thank you all for the continuing sympathies. At the same time we again ask for understanding that we do not intend to disclose details. This is necessary to protect the privacy of Michael and his family, and to enable the medical team to work in full calmness.”
As with any head injury, it is incredibly difficult to make assumptions or cast a judgement without being directly involved with the case, meaning that official statements such as the one issued today are very valuable.
In a touching gesture, the Bahrain International Circuit has named its first corner after Schumacher ahead of this weekend’s grand prix. This encouraging news from Grenoble is only set to lift spirits in the paddock as the F1 community continues to lend its support to Schumacher and his family.
- Hunter-Reay leads as times plunge in second practice at Sonoma 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6