Apr 6, 2014, 8:26 PM EDT
Chris Forsberg took home top honors this weekend in the season-opening Formula DRIFT Round 1: Streets of Long Beach event.
Forsberg and his Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z paced the field, earning a stout 104.0 points.
“It feels amazing to be on top of the podium, especially here at the first round of the eleventh season of Formula DRIFT,” Forsberg said. “We will try to keep the momentum with our new changes and take the championship home.”
Norway’s Kenneth Moen was second in his Bridges Racing Nissan 240SX.
Top qualifier and 2013 series champion Michael Essa was third in his Essa Autosport/Yokohama BMW M3.
The event, held Friday and Saturday, kicked off the seven-round series, which is now in its 11th season. Race organizers said a sellout crowd of more than 20,000 attended.
Formula DRIFT will once again have all of its races televised on the NBC Sports Network. Airing time for this weekend’s event will be July 27 (2:30 pm ET), July 29 (4:30 pm), August 3 (1 pm) and August 5 (4:30). For the full NBCSN telecast of Formula DRIFT events, click here.
Round 2: Road to the Championship takes place in Braselton, Ga., on May 9 and 10.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Round 1: Streets of Long Beach Event Results
1. Chris Forsberg, Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z Winner
2. Kenneth Moen, Bridges Racing Nissan 240SX 2nd Place
3. Michael Essa, Essa Autosport / Yokohama BMW M3 3rd Place
Formula DRIFT Professional Championship Presented by GoPro 2014 Standings After One Round
1. Chris Forsberg, Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z 104.50 Points
2. Kenneth Moen, Bridges Racing Nissan 240SX 84.50 Points
3. Michael Essa, Essa Autosport/Yokohama BMW M3 74.00 Points
4. Justin Pawlak, Falken Tire Ford Mustang 68.50 Points
5. Fredric Aasbo, Hankook Tire Scion Racing tC 52.50 Points
6. Forrest Wang, Get Nuts Lab / Hankook Tire / STR Racing Nissan S14 51.00 Points
7. Aurimas Bakchis, Feal Suspension / Nitto Tire Nissan 240SX 51.00 Points
8. Darren McNamara, Falken Tire Nissan S14 51.00 Points
9. Vaughn Gittin Jr., Monster Energy / Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR 39.50 Points
10. Tyler McQuarrie, GoPro Mobil 1Chevrolet Camaro 38.00 Points
11. Pat Goodin, Enjuku Racing Nissan 240SX 35.00 Points
12. Ryan Tuerck, Retaks Maxxis Tires Air Force PSI Scion FR-S 35.00 Points
12. Conrad Grunewald, Megan Racing / Top 1 Oil / BRE Chevrolet Camaro 35.00 Points
13. Kyle Mohan, GT Radial Energy-X Mazdatrix RX-8 35.00 Points
15. Mats Baribeau, Gold in the Net Toyota Mark II 33.50 Points
16. Dennis Mertzanis, Hyundai Genesis Legato AR1 33.50 Points
Manufacturers Championship Standings After One Round
1. Nissan 122.00 Points
2. Ford 108.00 Points
3. BMW 94.50 Points
4. Scion 87.50 Points
5. Chevrolet 73.00 Points
6. Lexus 35.00 Points
6. Mazda 35.00 Points
8. Toyota 33.50 Points
9. Hyundai 19.00 Points
10. Dodge 17.50 Points
Tire Championship Standings After One Round
1. Hankook 157.00 Points
2. Falken 119.50 Points
3. Achilles 102.00 Points
4. Nitto 90.50 Points
5. Yokohama 74.00 Points
6. Kenda 52.50 Points
7. GT Radial 35.00 Points
7. Maxxis 35.00 Points
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 8
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1
- It’s “never-say-die” for Graham Rahal with three races left 1
- Paralyzed driver Michael Johnson returning to track in Pro Mazda 0
- Simon Pagenaud ‘agonizingly close’ to wins at Mid-Ohio, not to success in 2015 0
- With three races left, who could still win in IndyCar, season 2015? 1