Apr 6, 2014, 4:56 PM EST
UPDATE (4:56 p.m. ET): After Bernie Ecclestone’s proclamation that Gene Haas’ Formula 1 application had been accepted, the NASCAR team owner has said that he has not yet been notified by the FIA of an official decision.
Haas also told the Associated Press that he’d need to know within the month to be ready to field an F1 program for next year.
“We’ve actually done quite a bit of planning,” he said to the AP. “We’ve actually got a lot of things in the works. But you really can’t sign any contracts until we have a license, and that’s issued by the FIA.
“I have no doubt that even if Mr. Ecclestone says that he’s OK with it, there’s probably still another few weeks of legal paperwork going back and forth before they would actually issue you one.”
Ecclestone has said that two new teams have been accepted into Formula 1 by the FIA for the 2015 season, and one of the berths has gone to the American project led by Haas.
Earlier this week, it was revealed that Haas’ project had been given the nod on the condition that the funding was in place for the team to run in the next four seasons of Formula 1.
The FIA’s initial tender suggested that just one team was required, but now Ecclestone has said that a second team will also be welcomed into the fold.
“They will be accepted,” Ecclestone explained to the media in Bahrain when asked about the Haas project. “We’ve also accepted another team as well. Whether they make it or not is another story.
“We’re happy to have another couple of teams. I’ve spoken to Jean Todt about it. We agreed yesterday, if two teams want to come in, we’ll let them in.”
The second team is thought to be a Romanian entry led by former team principal Colin Kolles. The third and final proposed project, led by Serbian businessman Zoran Stefanovic, is expected to be rejected due to a lack of resources in place unlike the Haas and Kolles projects. Interestingly, this would mark the fourth occasion that Stefan GP has been denied entry into Formula 1.
Although the FIA is yet to release an official statement regarding the new teams, Ecclestone’s comments certainly make for good reading for those at Haas, and also Formula 1’s standing in the United States.
Should both teams get accepted and make the grid, we would have 26 cars and drivers racing in Formula 1, but it remains to be seen if some of the pre-existing teams will remain in the sport.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 0
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 0
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0