Apr 6, 2014, 1:25 PM EST
Esteban Gutierrez has been sent to hospital for a routine check-up after walking away from a horror crash during today’s Bahrain Grand Prix that saw his Sauber flipped by Pastor Maldonado.
Maldonado tried to overtake the Sauber with a clumsy move at turn one on lap 40 of today’s race, causing Gutierrez to flip onto his roll cage. Thankfully, the car soon righted itself and landed on its wheels. After a few seconds, Gutierrez managed to hoist himself out of the car before being taken to the medical centre for a check up.
“According to first checks in the medical center, Esteban is ok,” the team tweeted. “Precautionary examinations will follow in the local hospital.”
Maldonado was given a 10-second stop/go penalty during the race, and eventually crossed the line in 14th place.
The Venezuelan driver has been handed a five-place grid penalty for the Chinese Grand Prix in two weeks’ time and three penalty points on his FIA superlicense.
After such a horrifying crash, it is proof of just how far safety standards in Formula 1 have come that Gutierrez managed to walk away unharmed from the incident.
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 1