Apr 6, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
On Friday at Texas Motor Speedway, Jimmie Johnson said he hadn’t had time to figure out how best to honor brother-in-law Jordan Janway, who lost his life last weekend in a skydiving accident near San Diego.
But ahead of today’s Duck Commander 500, Johnson has revealed his tribute on Instagram – a black, white, and blue sticker that crosses the visor of his racing helmet.
27-year-old Janway, the brother of Johnson’s wife, Chandra, collided in mid-air with another skydiver during a training session. His parachute failed to open.
Johnson has thanked the NASCAR community for their messages of support and that “the healing process has definitely started” for the family.
“He was a very warm and caring young man and he’s definitely going to be missed,” Johnson said of his brother-in-law.
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 0
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 4
- WATCH LIVE: Malaysian GP live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 2:30a ET 0
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 3