Apr 6, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
On Friday at Texas Motor Speedway, Jimmie Johnson said he hadn’t had time to figure out how best to honor brother-in-law Jordan Janway, who lost his life last weekend in a skydiving accident near San Diego.
But ahead of today’s Duck Commander 500, Johnson has revealed his tribute on Instagram – a black, white, and blue sticker that crosses the visor of his racing helmet.
27-year-old Janway, the brother of Johnson’s wife, Chandra, collided in mid-air with another skydiver during a training session. His parachute failed to open.
Johnson has thanked the NASCAR community for their messages of support and that “the healing process has definitely started” for the family.
“He was a very warm and caring young man and he’s definitely going to be missed,” Johnson said of his brother-in-law.
Video from NASCAR America
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 0
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 3
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 6
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0