Apr 6, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
On Friday at Texas Motor Speedway, Jimmie Johnson said he hadn’t had time to figure out how best to honor brother-in-law Jordan Janway, who lost his life last weekend in a skydiving accident near San Diego.
But ahead of today’s Duck Commander 500, Johnson has revealed his tribute on Instagram – a black, white, and blue sticker that crosses the visor of his racing helmet.
27-year-old Janway, the brother of Johnson’s wife, Chandra, collided in mid-air with another skydiver during a training session. His parachute failed to open.
Johnson has thanked the NASCAR community for their messages of support and that “the healing process has definitely started” for the family.
“He was a very warm and caring young man and he’s definitely going to be missed,” Johnson said of his brother-in-law.
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1