Apr 6, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
UPDATE (12:15 a.m. ET): More good news to report on Arie Luyendyk Jr., who was taken to a Las Vegas hospital after a breath-taking crash during the opening round of the 2014 TORC championship at Primm, Nevada.
A short time ago, Luyendyk tweeted that while he may have to have surgery on his collarbone, his neck and back are alright.
The incident occurred during the Pro 2 class race and just after the green flag had come out following a competition caution. Luyendyk had been running in fifth place when he made contact with Mike Jenkins in mid-air.
His truck then skidded briefly on two wheels before going into a barrel roll that took him off the race track. After rolling multiple times, the truck came to rest right-side up.
The crash can be seen in the video below and takes place just after the 2 hour, 48 minute mark.
Medical personnel were immediately on the scene and the race was red-flagged. Thankfully, Luyendyk was reported by TORC to be alert before he was taken to the hospital.
His father, two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Arie Sr., later tweeted that Arie Jr. had broken his collarbone but was otherwise alright:
Arie Jr. also posted a Tweet of himself in the ambulance giving a ‘thumbs up’ gesture, along with a word of thanks to the TORC medical team for their help:
Arie Jr. was a long-time competitor in the Indy Lights championship and raced in the 2006 Indianapolis 500. He also gained some notoriety outside of racing after taking part in the eighth season of reality show “The Bachelorette.”
This weekend’s TORC season-opening event will be broadcast April 25 at 11 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
Video from NASCAR America
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 0
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 3
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 6
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0