Apr 6, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
UPDATE (12:15 a.m. ET): More good news to report on Arie Luyendyk Jr., who was taken to a Las Vegas hospital after a breath-taking crash during the opening round of the 2014 TORC championship at Primm, Nevada.
A short time ago, Luyendyk tweeted that while he may have to have surgery on his collarbone, his neck and back are alright.
Going to be okay.. Possible surgery to fix my clavicle but my neck and back are okay. Be back soon, everyone loves a good comeback story.—
Arie Luyendyk Jr. (@ariejr) April 06, 2014
The incident occurred during the Pro 2 class race and just after the green flag had come out following a competition caution. Luyendyk had been running in fifth place when he made contact with Mike Jenkins in mid-air.
His truck then skidded briefly on two wheels before going into a barrel roll that took him off the race track. After rolling multiple times, the truck came to rest right-side up.
The crash can be seen in the video below and takes place just after the 2 hour, 48 minute mark.
Medical personnel were immediately on the scene and the race was red-flagged. Thankfully, Luyendyk was reported by TORC to be alert before he was taken to the hospital.
His father, two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Arie Sr., later tweeted that Arie Jr. had broken his collarbone but was otherwise alright:
Arie Jr. also posted a Tweet of himself in the ambulance giving a ‘thumbs up’ gesture, along with a word of thanks to the TORC medical team for their help:
Arie Jr. was a long-time competitor in the Indy Lights championship and raced in the 2006 Indianapolis 500. He also gained some notoriety outside of racing after taking part in the eighth season of reality show “The Bachelorette.”
This weekend’s TORC season-opening event will be broadcast April 25 at 11 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: FP3 for the Belgian Grand Prix 0
- Ryan Blaney passes Kyle Busch on final restart, hangs on to win Nationwide race at Bristol 1
- Kevin Harvick edges Jeff Gordon for Bristol Sprint Cup pole 1
- Will A.J. Allmendinger seek payback for Brad Daugherty’s practical joke? 1
- 2015 NASCAR Schedule to be Revealed Tuesday, 5 p.m. ET, on special NASCAR AMERICA 0
- Rossi disappointed, but diplomatic, after Marussia no-go 1
- Hamilton strikes back to top FP2 ahead of Rosberg in Belgium 0