Apr 7, 2014, 6:49 PM EDT
It was worth a shot.
Brian Vickers and his No. 55 Michael Waltrip Racing Toyota crew decided to roll the dice and go for two tires in a bid for track position heading into the green-white-checkered finish of today’s Duck Commander 500 at Texas Motor Speedway.
“We really did [give it everything] — that was a great call by [crew chief] Billy [Scott] and the whole crew,” Vickers said after his first Top-5 result of the season and first since last August at Bristol. “The pit guys did a great job all day and they did a good job on that last stop, obviously when it mattered most.”
“[I’m] really proud of everyone on this Aaron’s Dream Machine team…We probably didn’t have a car to win, but we made the most of it. We’ll learn from this and we’ll move on to the next race and we gave it our best there at the end.”
Vickers also earned his third Top-10 in the last four races, continuing what has been a steady effort from him over the last month or so. While yet to win a race, he has now moved into the Top 10 of the points standings in ninth place.
After starting 23rd, Vickers moved gradually into the 10th-15th place range, where he would be for most of the afternoon. He was ninth after the final wave of green flag stops with roughly 30 laps remaining, setting up his crew’s decision heading into the G-W-C.
His teammate, Clint Bowyer, was also competitive today at Texas but his potential bid for a win was stymied by a penalty for a missing lug nut after a stop under yellow with 76 laps left.
That forced him to pit an extra time, but Bowyer was able to make up some ground in the final stages and finished eighth.
- IndyCar: Graham Rahal is halfway leader at Barber 0
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 3
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0