Apr 8, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT
This is something we haven’t written much about in recent years – actual, legal in-season testing in Formula One. But this year it’s back and happening in Bahrain, where two of the three 2014 preseason tests were held (Test one recap, test two recap linked here).
Some of F1’s rookies are getting a chance to run. Caterham’s Robin Frijns ran this morning for 63 laps before his day ended early due to a hydraulic system leak.
— Caterham F1 Team (@CaterhamF1) April 8, 2014
Meanwhile Sauber took the opportunity to move on from its dreadful Grand Prix weekend (for both Adrian Sutil and Esteban Gutierrez) and install test driver Sergey Sirotkin in the C33-Ferrari on Tuesday. This would give the Russian enough mileage to gain his FIA Superlicense, and participate in FP1 sessions on Grand Prix weekends later this year.
McLaren was due to have its reserve driver, rookie Stoffel Vandoorne, a late change was decided by the team to keep its race drivers in the car. Vandoorne won the GP2 Series season opener over the weekend in his series debut.
Nico Rosberg has handled Mercedes’ duties for the day, and after the team’s perfect weekend on track, they continue pounding and gathering even more data with the German having completed more than 100 laps on Tuesday.
— MERCEDES AMG F1 (@MercedesAMGF1) April 8, 2014
Ferrari also has Fernando Alonso running today, as the team looks to iron out its issues after a challenging race weekend.
— Scuderia Ferrari (@InsideFerrari) April 8, 2014
Red Bull has Daniel Ricciardo running, while Toro Rosso has rookie Daniil Kvyat on board today, having completed at least 67 laps. Williams has been running with Valtteri Bottas, Force India with Nico Hulkenberg, Romain Grosjean for Lotus and Max Chilton for Marussia.
More to follow later today.
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 3
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 4
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 15