Apr 9, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT
There’s fast, and then there’s Michigan International Speedway fast … uh, err, make that F-A-S-T!
In the final day of a two-day Goodyear tire test at MIS, Clint Bowyer‘s Toyota Camry hit an eye-popping 217 mph Wednesday.
“That’s white-of-your-eyes-fast,” Bowyer said.
According to a media release issued by the track, Earnhardt consistently hit speeds of 212 to 215 mph on the straightaways on the racing surface, which was resurfaced in 2012, making it the fastest non-restrictor plate track in the sport.
“This is one of our better tracks, and our fans will probably say the same,” said Earnhardt, who has two wins, two other top-five and a top-10 at MIS in the last six seasons. “Having the success here over the last four or five years has given us a lot of confidence when we come here, and I think that’s why Goodyear brings us to test.
“I enjoy racing here. It’s a fun track. The asphalt is really aging well and it’s just going to keep getting better and better over the next couple of years.”
Joey Logano holds the official speed record at MIS at 203.949 mph, set during qualifying there last August.
During a tire test at MIS last May, Kurt Busch and Bayne both topped 211 mph.
The Sprint Cup Series returns to MIS for the Quicken Loans 400 weekend on June 13-15.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 0
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 0
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 0
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 1
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1
- Will Power claims 2014 IndyCar title as Tony Kanaan ties season win record in Fontana 1
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Tony Stewart’s return to racing: ‘I’m sure that’s where he wants to be’ 0