Apr 9, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
One of Matt Kenseth‘s biggest fans will miss watching and cheering him on at Saturday night’s Sprint Cup race at Darlington Raceway.
But son Ross Kenseth has a good reason why he’ll be MIA: he’s taking a weekend break from his mechanical engineering studies at Clemson University, and while his dad is racing at Darlington, Ross will be racing himself in the 7-UP 150 ARCA race at Toledo (Ohio) Speedway.
Kenseth isn’t the only son of a famous racing father that will be competing in Saturday’s race in Toledo. Stephen Wallace, son of NASCAR Hall of Famer and ESPN analyst Rusty Wallace, will also be in the field.
The race will be the season opener at the half-mile, high-banked paved oval, and is aptly named “Border Wars,” with a field of 40-plus drivers from 11 states and Canada.
“It means a lot to have racers like Stephen Wallace and Ross Kenseth compete in the 7-Up 150,” said ARCA/CRA series president Glenn Luckett. “Not only are they good racers, their names will be ones that fans will recognize and hopefully want to come out and see compete against the best of the ARCA/CRA Super Series and ARCA Midwest Tour.”
The younger Kenseth is now 20. He recently became half-brother to the latest addition to the Kenseth family two weeks ago, Clara May Kenseth.
Wallace, 26, has previously raced in all three NASCAR pro series and is coming off a win two months ago in the World Series of Asphalt Racing championship in Florida.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 0
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 2
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 5
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 14