Apr 10, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
There’s new regulations to get used to in the worldwide LMP1 world in 2014. Come 2015, the regulation shift goes to LMP2, and manufacturers and teams are getting ready by building new cars.
The Ligier JS P2 coupe has already come out and on Wednesday, Honda Performance Development (HPD) took the image wraps off its new ARX-04b coupe. As with past HPD prototype designs, the car is a collaboration between the Santa Clarita, Calif.-based company and Wirth Research in the U.K.
The cost-capped chassis will feature a 2.8-liter twin-turbo, direct injection, production-based Honda HR28TT V6 power plant, which now includes a regulation compliant drive-by-wire throttle system and fresh air valve system, eliminating turbo lag and providing improved reliability and performance.
“We are very excited for our new HPD ARX-04b LMP2 Coupe to see the light of day, combining all of our successes in international sportscar racing with the very latest regulations for closed-cockpit prototypes,” said Steve Eriksen, HPD vice president and COO.
Added Wirth Research President Nick Wirth, “Not only is it a stunning-looking race car, we are confident that our revolutionary all-digital design approach will ensure that HPD’s 2015 LMP2 Coupe customers will benefit from fielding the most aero-efficient, balanced and competitive LMP2 car on the 2015 grid.”
More technical nuggets and details here, via the HPD website.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 0
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 30
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0