Apr 11, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
Scott Pruett (P, overall) and Jan Magnussen (GTLM) have taken the poles for Saturday’s Patron Showcase in Long Beach, the third round of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship season.
Pruett’s best time of 1:15.325 edged Ozz Negri in the similar Ford EcoBoost Riley; Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates held the edge on Michael Shank Racing in this session. Christian Fittipaldi was best of the Corvette DPs in third for Action Express Racing.
“Thats one of the things about Long Beach, you get faster and faster the longer you go around the track,” said Pruett, who last raced at Long Beach in the 2006 GRAND-AM Rolex race. “You get a little braver, a little braver, until you start scraping the walls. It took a time for us to get going this season, Daytona was a bit disastrous, then we went to Sebring and got the win, and now the pole.”
In GTLM, Magnussen threw down a flier to secure Corvette Racing’s first pole for its new C7.R, edging the pair of expected pace setters, the BMW Team RLL BMW Z4 GTEs.
“I found a good gap, but I had to back off once to find myself a better gap, and after that it was a matter of trying to work a little bit to find a corner,” he said. “At one point we were p3, at this point I was eight tenths faster than when we did the qualifying simulation, I didn’t know if there was any more to come. I pushed hard and it stuck and didn’t hit any of the walls and that was the pole position.”
The 100-minute race goes green just past 3:00 p.m. PDT/6:00 p.m. EDT on Saturday.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 12
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 47
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2