Apr 12, 2014, 6:45 AM EDT
Sauber test driver Giedo van der Garde is set to get his second practice run-out of the season at next weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix when he replaces Adrian Sutil during the first Friday session.
The Dutchman joined Sauber at the beginning of the season after being dropped by Caterham, and has set his sights on a full-time drive with the team in 2015. He first got behind the wheel of the Sauber C33 during practice at the last race in Bahrain, where he replaced Esteban Gutierrez for FP1 and finished just three-tenths of a second behind Adrian Sutil.
Next week, van der Garde will replace Sutil for the session, having also ran at the in-season test in Bahrain earlier this week.
The team is also set to bring a number of upgrades to the race in Shanghai after a disastrous start to the season that has yielded zero points and a number of DNFs.
“The team keeps working relentlessly to get on top of the performance limitations that so far have not allowed us to race where we want to,” head of track engineering Giampaolo Dall’Ara explained. “We look forward to the Chinese Grand Prix as the next step, thanks to a number of updates we’ll be introducing and more track experience we gathered during the Bahrain test.”
After such a poor start to 2014, the pressure will undoubtedly be on Gutierrez and Sutil as three drivers are already eyeing up their seats for next season. van der Garde has a strong case after an impressive debut season with Caterham, but Russian youngster Sergey Sirotkin is also keen on claiming a seat after finally securing his FIA superlicense in Bahrain earlier this week.
Finally, former IndyCar driver Simona de Silvestro is also in the running for a seat after having a fitting earlier this week. She is set to test Sauber’s 2012 car at Fiorano in the coming weeks as part of her preparation for a full-time drive.
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1