Apr 12, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Romain Grosjean will celebrate his 28th birthday in five days’ time ahead of the Chinese Grand Prix, and he is hoping that he can do so in style by securing Lotus’ first points finish of the 2014 season.
A difficult winter marred by financial problems left Lotus on the back foot, and the E22 car was behind schedule thus causing the team to miss the first test in Jerez. At the first round of the season in Australia, completing just over 40 laps was seen as an achievement, but now the team is on the cusp of breaking into the points, and Grosjean hopes that he can do so next weekend.
“Shanghai is not my favourite race of the year, but I will be spending my 28th birthday there so let’s make it good!” he said in Lotus’ GP preview. “It’s quite a particular circuit where it is not always easy to find the right setup and the temperature can also be cold. You never know what to expect, except that there will be a monster traffic jam to get to the circuit!
“I scored my first Formula 1 points at Shanghai in 2012 and scored points again last year when Kimi finished second for the team. So let’s hope that’s a good omen and we can add to the good memories next weekend.”
The Frenchman enjoyed a good race in Malaysia three weeks ago where he finished in 11th place and very nearly picked up a point, but in Bahrain the team once again hit trouble as he finished 12th following a late safety car period.
Although it is a far cry from the regular podium finishes of 2013, reaching the top 10 will be an important achievement for all at Lotus after such a difficult period in the history of the Enstone team.
- Derrick Walker reflects on IndyCar tenure and future 0
- Social Roundup: IndyCar season-ending banquet 0
- Scott Dixon awarded $1 million for fourth championship at IndyCar banquet 1
- Hulkenberg extends contract with Force India for two more years 1
- Ten with Townsend: Sonoma and 2015 IndyCar debrief 1
- Dixon’s latest title a story of consistency, comeback, typical “Ice Man” cool 0
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 18