Apr 12, 2014, 8:03 PM EST
Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas have gone back-to-back in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. The pair took their No. 01 Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates Ford EcoBoost Riley to a controlled but dominant victory in the Patron Showcase at Long Beach, Round 3 of the season.
Pruett, Rojas and Marino Franchitti took the first win for the new engine last time out in the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring. This 100-minute race, the pole sitting car was the class of the field.
Despite a late rally, Jordan Taylor was unable to close the gap in the newly sponsored Konica Minolta No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing Corvette DP. He and older brother Ricky finished second.
In third was the Action Express Racing Corvette DP, the No. 5 co-driven by Christian Fittipaldi and Joao Barbosa.
In GTLM, Corvette Racing took the win for the new C7.R, the pole sitting No. 3 entry co-driven by Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia. Garcia started after Magnussen stuck the thing on pole on Friday, and got out to a big lead as the No. 2 Extreme Speed Motorsports HPD ARX-03b was in-between it and the rest of the GTLM field.
There was a great battle for second behind them, with the No. 56 BMW Team RLL BMW Z4 GTE of John Edwards and Dirk Mueller holding off the second Corvette C7.R, the No, 4 of Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner.
The race ran caution-free, although there were still several retirements due to mechanical issues. The No. 60 Michael Shank Racing Ford EcoBoost Riley, which started second, had two instances where it had nowhere else to go.
In three weeks, all four TUDOR Championship classes return to action at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in May. The P/GTLM and returning PC/GTD classes will run separate two-hour races.
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 0
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0
- Ferrari reveals SF15-T for 2015 Formula 1 season 5