Apr 12, 2014, 2:20 PM EST
Team Penske’s Will Power was the fastest driver in the final practice session before qualifying later today on the streets of Long Beach, California.
Power, who won the Verizon IndyCar Series season opener two weeks ago at St. Petersburg and is your early championship leader, turned in a lap of 1:08.1696 at 103.929 miles per hour in the No. 12 Verizon Chevrolet.
That was just ahead of Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing’s Josef Newgarden and his best lap of 1:08.1718 at 103.926 mph. Driving the No. 67 Honda, the American driver has been steady so far this weekend with showings of fifth and sixth in the previous two practice sessions.
Andretti Autosport’s James Hinchcliffe, fastest in the opening practice yesterday, was third this afternoon in his No. 27 United Fiber and Data Honda, posting a time of 1:08.4309 at 103.532 mph.
Sebastien Bourdais also appears to be finding his stride at Long Beach, where he won three consecutive times (2005-2007) in Champ Car. The KVSH Racing pilot was fourth-fastest in today’s practice (1:08.446 at 103.511 mph) with his No. 11 Mistic Electronic Cigarettes/Circle K Chevrolet.
Completing the Top 5 was another Andretti man in Ryan Hunter-Reay. He logged a 1:08.5296 at 103.383 mph in his No. 28 DHL Honda.
Justin Wilson, Simon Pagenaud (who topped yesterday’s second practice), Juan Pablo Montoya, rookie Jack Hawksworth and Mike Conway rounded out the Top 10 times, which were separated by less than half a second. Conway ran the most laps this session with 24 trips around the 1.9-mile course.
Today’s qualifying session will be shown this evening on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra at 6 p.m. ET.
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 0
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1