Apr 12, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
A pit road mistake earlier actually paid off for Kasey Kahne, who held the lead at the halfway mark (184 of the scheduled 367 laps) of Saturday night’s Bojangles’ Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway.
On Kahne’s previous pit stop, his gas man didn’t fill the tank on Kahne’s Chevrolet fully, forcing Kahne to pit early on Lap 174.
But that proved fortuitous as the rest of the Sprint Cup field was forced to make green flag pit stops just before the halfway mark, allowing Kahne to move to the front of the field.
Speaking of the younger Busch, he had led each of the last three prior races at Darlington, but failed to win each time.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 0
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 10
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1