Apr 12, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
A pit road mistake earlier actually paid off for Kasey Kahne, who held the lead at the halfway mark (184 of the scheduled 367 laps) of Saturday night’s Bojangles’ Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway.
On Kahne’s previous pit stop, his gas man didn’t fill the tank on Kahne’s Chevrolet fully, forcing Kahne to pit early on Lap 174.
But that proved fortuitous as the rest of the Sprint Cup field was forced to make green flag pit stops just before the halfway mark, allowing Kahne to move to the front of the field.
Speaking of the younger Busch, he had led each of the last three prior races at Darlington, but failed to win each time.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- For Dixon, it’s likely Mid-Ohio or bust in terms of 2015 IndyCar title hopes 0
- Race Recap: Vettel draws level with Senna on all-time win list with victory in Hungary 1
- NHRA Mile-High Nationals winners: Torrence, Beckman, Morgan, Krawiec 2
- F1 grid unites to pay tribute to Jules Bianchi (VIDEO) 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Hungarian GP post-race (VIDEO) 1
- Vettel dedicates Hungarian GP win to Jules Bianchi 2
- Vettel storms to victory in Hungary as Hamilton and Rosberg hit trouble 9