Apr 12, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Yesterday at Long Beach, NBCSN contributor and former Sprint Cup driver Kyle Petty provided an update on his father, seven-time Cup champion Richard Petty, who is still mourning the recent loss of his wife, Lynda.
Mrs. Petty, known for her gentle spirit and for being the rock of one of NASCAR’s most important families, died March 25 at her home in Level Cross, North Carolina. She was 72 years old.
Her passing brought about an outpouring of condolences from the NASCAR world, and Richard has stayed away from the race track in order to grieve.
He and Lynda were married for over half a century, and together, they raised four children – son Kyle and daughters Sharon, Lisa, and Rebecca.
“He’s doing pretty good, he’s used to going to the racetracks and being at the racetracks alone, but he’s not used to being at home and being alone,” Kyle said according to the Associated Press. “So I’ve stayed with him some, and my sisters have stayed some.
“It’s just going to take time. They were together 57 years and even though he spent 50 of those 57 years on the road, according to him, at race tracks, it’s been a lot harder and a lot tougher [than he thought].”
Multiple drivers, including the Richard Petty Motorsports duo of Marcos Ambrose and Aric Almirola, honored Mrs. Petty during the Martinsville race weekend in late March with a memorial decal on their cars.
At the time, NBCSN contributor and USA Today writer Nate Ryan tweeted that Richard was expected to return for the Toyota Owners’ 400 at Richmond International Raceway later this month.
Video from NASCAR America
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 0
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1