Apr 13, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Kurt Busch has said that Gene Haas is determined to get his Formula 1 team on the grid in 2015, and although he feels that he is too old to race, he would certainly be up for a test drive.
The FIA confirmed on Friday that Haas had been given the green light to put together a team for 2015, setting the wheels in motion for an American outfit to join the grid. A technical partnership with Ferrari is thought to be on the table, and the likes of Alexander Rossi and Conor Daly have already been linked with a seat.
Busch – who drives the #41 for Stewart-Haas Racing in NASCAR – was really enthusiastic about the possibility of an American team joining the grid.
“It will be an incredible challenge. He knows that,” Busch told the Associated Press. “He’s serious. You just don’t drop $40 million on a wind tunnel and not think that you’re serious about racing.
“It’s a matter of the fans getting behind it, supporting Gene and trying to give F1 another chance,” he said. “We’ve had Michael Andretti, before him was his dad. We had Scott Speed as a driver. Now we have an owner. It will be interesting to see how the driver line-up shapes up.”
At 35, Busch feels that he is too old to race for the team, but he would not say no to a test outing.
“My time has passed to be a competitive driver in F1,” he said. “But a test session? I’d jump on that every time. They’re going to have hard time keeping me out of the shop, from hanging out.”
Following the announcement, there has been a mix of delight and skepticism from the Formula 1 world. However, with a racing team and automotive company behind the American bid this time around, Haas’ project appears to have far more going for it than USF1 did back in 2009.
Predictably, a number of other NASCAR and IndyCar drivers will be linked to the seats with Haas in Formula 1, but should he be looking for American drivers that are already on the sport’s ladder, both Rossi and Daly would be good picks. However, they might need to be complemented by a more experienced Formula 1 driver given that neither has started a grand prix yet.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT
Stefan Wilson recalls his favorite racing moments of brother Justin.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:17 AM EDT
Hulkenberg reveals he held talks with Haas F1 Team about a seat for 2016 before opting to remain with Force India.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
Sato improved four spots in the driver standings over his 2014 result.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Substituting for James Hinchcliffe, Briscoe ended his abridged 2015 with his first top-five finish of the year.
Sep 1, 2015, 4:07 PM EDT
Walker spoke with racing journalist Gordon Kirby about his two years in charge of competition and operations.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
A look at the festivities held in San Francisco on Monday night.
Sep 1, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Track president George Bruggenthies provided details on what to expect at the track next June.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:09 PM EDT
Justin Wilson won the fan vote for favorite driver.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT
Hulkenberg announces two-year extension with Force India F1.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
NBCSN’s Townsend Bell checks in for the final IndyCar installment of “Ten with Townsend” for 2015, after Sonoma.
Aug 31, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
MotorSportsTalk’s Tony DiZinno reflects on the latest championship achieved by Scott Dixon and the Target Chip Ganassi Racing team.
Aug 31, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT
Damien Power hits Sonoma to meet up with brother Will. Hilarity ensues.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
Rosberg is now a dad.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT
Chaves first driver in nearly a decade to win both Indy 500, IndyCar top rookie honors in same season.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
IndyCar’s biggest underdog driver, team has their day at Sonoma.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The rest of the stories of note, to cap off the IndyCar season at Sonoma.
Aug 30, 2015, 10:39 PM EDT
It wasn’t the result, but the strength, of Oriol Servia in Justin Wilson’s car this weekend that shown through.
Aug 30, 2015, 10:34 PM EDT
A look at how the championship hopes for the three drivers ended in the GoPro GP of Sonoma.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:49 PM EDT
Dixon pulls off a shocker in Sonoma.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Juan Pablo Montoya blamed the double-points awarded in the season finale for missing out on the IndyCar championship.
- Watkins Glen, Baltimore stand out for Stefan Wilson’s favorite race memories of brother Justin 1
- Report: Derrick Walker reflects on IndyCar tenure and future 0
- Scott Dixon awarded $1 million for fourth championship at IndyCar banquet 1
- Hulkenberg extends contract with Force India for two more years 1
- Ten with Townsend: Sonoma and 2015 IndyCar debrief 1
- Dixon’s latest title a story of consistency, comeback, typical “Ice Man” cool 1
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 18