Apr 13, 2014, 12:38 PM EST
Josef Newgarden continues his Long Beach weekend prowess in the No. 67 Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing Honda, after setting the fastest time in the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach morning warm-up.
The Tennessee native clocked a flier of 1:08.3447; he’ll roll off from fourth this afternoon (race Sunday, 4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra).
Sebastien Bourdais, who starts third, was second (1:08.7762 in No. 11 Mistic Electronic Cigarettes KVSH Racing Chevrolet) with pole sitter Ryan Hunter-Reay third (1:08.9968 in No. 28 DHL Andretti Autosport Honda).
Hunter-Reay had a near disaster in the morning when rookie Mikhail Aleshin spun in front of him, exiting Turn 6, and RHR took evasive action to the outside of the left-handed, uphill corner to avoid the SMP Racing-backed driver.
Will Power and Scott Dixon rounded out the top five. Justin Wilson only completed one lap in the No. 19 Dale Coyne Racing entry as he reported he did not have full power.
One red flag interrupted the 30-minute session, when an orange cone was offline in-between Turns 9 and 10.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 14
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1