Apr 13, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
The Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach is a very special place for Ryan Hunter-Reay, both in and out of the race car.
The former Verizon IndyCar Series champion won at Long Beach in 2010 to bolster his career, which was then in part-time status. But the famous circuit was also where he met his wife for the first time.
Additionally, Long Beach was also a favorite for his late mother, who died of colon cancer in the fall of 2009. Five months after her passing, Hunter-Reay dedicated his Long Beach win to her, saying that “she was definitely there with me.”
Now, he will look to add another Long Beach memory today by winning the 40th anniversary running of North America’s most prestigious street race.
You can watch the second round of the 2014 IndyCar championship LIVE at 4 p.m. ET on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra on your online and mobile device.
Hunter-Reay will be on the pole position after taking it from Andretti Autosport teammate James Hinchcliffe in the waning moments of a wild qualifying session that saw Team Penske and Chip Ganassi Racing fail to make the Firestone Fast Six final round for the first time ever.
Sebastien Bourdais and Josef Newgarden will roll off from Row 2, while rookie Jack Hawksworth and Simon Pagenaud make up Row 3.
CLICK HERE at 4 p.m. ET to see who will join the list of famous drivers to win on the streets of Long Beach.
- Off The Grid: Silverstone preview (premieres 9/6 on NBCSN) 0
- Hamilton eases to Italian GP pole at Monza 0
- Hamilton completes practice clean sweep at Monza 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Italian Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton quickest again in second Italian GP practice 2
- Hamilton leads Mercedes one-two in Italian GP FP1 1
- NHRA: All you need to know about the 61st U.S. Nationals 1