Apr 14, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
NBCSN IndyCar analyst and open-wheel racing veteran Townsend Bell will once again take on the Indianapolis 500.
The American will seek to make his eighth career start at the Brickyard in a third car, the No. 6 Chevrolet, for KV Racing Technology alongside team regulars Sebastien Bourdais and Sebastian Saavedra.
Bell’s car will be sponsored by high-end clothier Robert Graham, whose hats Bell often wore when he was out of his Panther Racing car in last year’s ‘500.’
His best career finish at Indy was achieved in a KVRT machine, a fourth in 2009.
“In 2001, [team co-owner] Jimmy [Vasser] was my teammate in my first Champ Car event and in 2009, I had my best finish at Indy racing with KVRT, so coming back to the defending Indy 500 champions is special,” Bell said in a statement. “I will be working with one of my favorite engineers, Gerald Tyler, so that is also a big plus.
“Finally, I want to express my gratitude to Robert Graham for their support. Without them, this would not be possible. I wear Robert Graham clothing, as most of your know from last year’s fedora, and I am proud to represent the company.”
In both of their statements, Vasser and fellow team co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven mentioned Bell’s sizable experience as the Speedway as an important asset for their Indy program.
“Townsend has a lot of experience at the Speedway and did a great job the last time he drove there for us,” Vasser noted. “I think the entire team will benefit from his knowledge as we go through our program in preparation for the Indy 500.”
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0
- Report: Roger Penske intends to keep his ‘four aces’ in IndyCar 0
- Mario Andretti gets Jay Leno up to speed — and then some 1
- NHRA: Antron Brown looks to make Top Fuel fireworks this weekend 1
- MAVTV 500: Despite being nerve-racking to crazy, drivers glad safety won out 2
- WATCH: IndyCar’s frantic, thrilling MAVTV 500 to re-air at midnight ET on NBCSN 6
- Nelson Piquet Jr crowned first ever FIA Formula E champion in thrilling London finale 1