Apr 14, 2014, 7:37 PM EDT
After confirming earlier this month that seven-time Formula One World Champion Michael Schumacher was showing “moments of consciousness and awakening,” his manager has further discussed the matter with a German broadcasting network.
According to the UK’s Independent newspaper, Sabine Kehm said that the F1 legend – who’s being brought out of a medically-induced coma that he’s been in since late December – is “showing small signs of progress.”
“There are moments when he is awake and moments when he is conscious,” Kehm told network ARD. “Of course, I am not a doctor, but medically, there is a distinction between being awake and being conscious – the latter meaning, there is an ability to interact with his surroundings.
“I don’t want to disclose details out of respect for the family, but we have no doubt at all in the abilities of the doctors treating Michael. They are experts in their field.”
However, she also added that due to the severity of Schumacher’s injury, a medical prognosis was still “not possible” at this time and that any sort of interaction with him is on “a very limited basis.”
Kehm also touched on his family’s frustration over media reports that quote doctors who aren’t working directly on the attempt to bring Schumacher out of his coma at University Hospital in Grenoble, France.
“It has been a problem when outsiders comment and it means we have to set the record straight, even when we don’t want to,” said Kehm about what she and the family see as the “untruths” in these particular reports.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52