Apr 15, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
The outcomes of each of the last three NASCAR national series races have been impacted by late rounds of pit stops going into the final dash to the finish.
During the Sprint Cup race at Texas, the caution came out with two laps remaining and leader Joey Logano lost the point by taking four tires, while Jeff Gordon and Brian Vickers were able to get ahead of him by taking two tires.
However, Logano’s car had been the strongest throughout the second half of the race, and it showed again when it needed to.
Each were able to rally past those who took two tires for track position and claim wins. Today on NASCAR AMERICA, Kyle Petty discussed these scenarios.
Also, NBCSN contributor and USA Today writer Nate Ryan discussed today’s Goodyear tire test at Kansas Speedway. Instead of going through multiple options, Ryan reports that Goodyear wanted the 16 teams involved to give feedback and ultimately validate the tire they’ve already chosen for the Kansas race on Saturday, May 10.
Video from NASCAR America
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 1
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 8
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1