Apr 15, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
The outcomes of each of the last three NASCAR national series races have been impacted by late rounds of pit stops going into the final dash to the finish.
During the Sprint Cup race at Texas, the caution came out with two laps remaining and leader Joey Logano lost the point by taking four tires, while Jeff Gordon and Brian Vickers were able to get ahead of him by taking two tires.
However, Logano’s car had been the strongest throughout the second half of the race, and it showed again when it needed to.
Each were able to rally past those who took two tires for track position and claim wins. Today on NASCAR AMERICA, Kyle Petty discussed these scenarios.
Also, NBCSN contributor and USA Today writer Nate Ryan discussed today’s Goodyear tire test at Kansas Speedway. Instead of going through multiple options, Ryan reports that Goodyear wanted the 16 teams involved to give feedback and ultimately validate the tire they’ve already chosen for the Kansas race on Saturday, May 10.
Video from NASCAR America
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 2
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0