Apr 16, 2014, 8:09 PM EST
Sunday’s win in the Four-Wide Nationals at zMAX Dragway held special significance for NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle rider Andrew Hines.
The three-time NHRA PSM champion earned his 33rd national event win, tying him for third in Pro Stock Motorcycle’s wins list with the late John Myers.
Hines, son of legendary PSM engine builder, tuner and crew chief Byron Hines, had a close friendship with Myers, who died at the age of 40, tragically killed in a highway motorcycle accident near Birmingham, Ala., at the height of his success and popularity in 1998.
“It is cool to be tied with John Myers,” Hines said. “I grew up around drag racing and around these drag racing tracks.
“I remember running around as an eight, nine, ten year old kid having rubber band wars with John Myers, shooting rubber bands at each other whenever we could.
“So that is really cool to tie his stat and be associated in that elite group.”
Hines is now tied for third on the all-time NHRA PSM wins list. Dave Schultz leads the category with 45, followed by Angelle Sampey’s 41 wins.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Check out the video below from the 1997 NHRA U.S. Nationals PSM Finals at Indianapolis that features the late John Myers against Andrew Hines’ older brother, Matt Hines, who won 30 national event races in the category before retiring from active competition.
Video from NASCAR America
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 2
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 10
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0