Apr 16, 2014, 8:48 AM EDT
Two years ago at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Satoshi Motoyama tried in vain to fix his broken Nissan DeltaWing, after it was shoved off the road by a Toyota LMP1 car.
In 2014, he’ll have a chance to complete that bit of unfinished business in Nissan’s newest Garage 56 entrant: the ZEOD RC electric prototype.
The veteran Japanese driver was confirmed alongside previously announced drivers Lucas Ordonez and Wolfgang Reip.
“This is the world first with Nissan using electric power in this way at Le Mans and I am very happy to be a part of it,” Motoyama said in a release.
“For me I have a bit of unfinished business at Le Mans. The accident two years ago was very unlucky, but most racing accidents are. Just to finish the race at Le Mans is very difficult and that is our main goal. I am really looking forward to the race.”
Added Darren Cox, Global Head of Brand, Marketing & Sales, NISMO: “That ‘never say die’ attitude really him a cult figure and real favorite with the fans. He was extremely quick the last time he was in the car at Le Mans and we are thrilled to have him back.
“After what happened at Le Mans two years, I promised him we’d get him back to Le Mans – he fully deserves the opportunity.”
Motoyama and Ordonez will test extensively between now and June 1 but will miss the Le Mans test day due to an existing Super GT commitment. Brazilian Tommy Erdos fills in at the test day alongside Reip.
See the 2012 Motoyama video here and a video of his return below that.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Brad Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 19
- Renault’s Taffin: Fuel consumption could well be an issue in Singapore 1
- Jeff Gordon makes strong ‘Drive For Five’ start, also has high praise for Kyle Larson in Chase opener 2
- Keselowski surges between Harvick, Larson to win Chase opener at Chicagoland 0
- For 16 Sprint Cup drivers, the time is here: ready, set, Chase 0