Apr 16, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
Scott Bloomquist just keeps motoring along in the National Dirt Racing League.
Bloomquist is coming off a strong weekend performance where he was runnerup Saturday at Virginia Motor Speedway, and then for an encore won Sunday’s main event at Winchester (Tenn.) Speedway.
Powered by Roush Yates Engines’ newly designed RY45 motor, Bloomquist set a track record while earning the top qualifying spot at VMS with a lap time of 16.509 seconds on Saturday. He just barely lost the race to winner Jonathan Davenport.
The following night, in his first trip to Winchester in nearly three years, Bloomquist swept pretty much everything there was to sweep at the 3/8-mile oval.
He won the heat race and then took over the lead 11 laps from the finish and never looked back in the Gunter’s Honey 50 event, finshing nearly three seconds ahead of runner-up Kent Robinson.
“I’ll tell you what, it turned into a slick Tennessee racetrack and the RY45 was awesome,” Scott said. “Everyone said there was a specific tire you had to run here and to not run anything else, but I don’t like to listen.”
Bloomquist now has three wins and a runner-up in the NDRL thus far this season. His Team Zero races this weekend (April 17-19) for the NDRL Kings of Dirt Super Late Model Series Special at Magnolia Motor Speedway in Columbus, Miss.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52