Apr 17, 2014, 3:59 PM EST
NASCAR chairman Brian France’s unwavering stance to bring parity to the sport during his 10-year tenure is finally paying dividends.
While most of the sport is off this week for the Easter holiday and spring break, NASCAR’s PR staff sent out a media release Thursday that shows just how close the racing has gotten thus far in 2014.
Through this season’s first eight races:
* Although the Sprint Cup Series saw its first repeat winner at Darlington with Kevin Harvick‘s win after different winners in the first seven races, the streak of eight different Coors Light Pole winners remains intact. That streak is tied for the series’ longest season-opening streak of different pole winners.
* All three manufacturers have won races thus far: Chevrolet leads with four wins, Ford has three and Toyota has one.
* There have been an average of 12 different leaders per race, compared to 8.6 at this point last year.
* There have been an average of 25.6 lead changes per race, compared to 17.4 in 2013.
* There have been 29,541 green flag passes, compared to 23,178 in 2013.
* There have been 346 green flag passes for the lead, compared to 181 in 2013.
* The average margin of victory in the first eight races has been just 0.588 seconds, the smallest since 2008.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Mar 6, 2015, 12:05 PM EST
Frenchman hopes to make up for a difficult 2014 campaign that yielded just eight points in total.
Mar 6, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
A revolution has taken place at Maranello over the winter following Ferrari’s worst F1 performance in over 20 years.
Mar 6, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Gene Haas may not be alone in bringing a new team into F1 in the near future.
Mar 6, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
After its remarkable comeback, the team is yet to confirm who its second driver will be in Australia.
Mar 5, 2015, 6:44 PM EST
“The Giz” heads to V8SC’s biggest team in a three-year deal as the team’s third car.
Mar 5, 2015, 6:13 PM EST
“RHR 2.0″ enters world on March 5, 2015.
Mar 5, 2015, 5:23 PM EST
“SK$” turns 20. Sage Karam will make his second IndyCar start at season-opening race in St. Petersburg.
Mar 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
JEV wants to clinch Andretti a home win when Formula E hits U.S. shores in Miami later this month.
Mar 5, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
All of the latest news from some of F1’s most prominent junior championships.
Mar 5, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Filipino-Swiss driver moves from Formula Renault 3.5 for 2015.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
British driver sends out an ominous statement of intent ahead of the first race of the year in Australia on March 15.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Can Massa and Bottas pick up where they left off at the end of 2014?
Mar 5, 2015, 12:07 PM EST
Team now all set to race in Australia on March 15 after passing the FIA crash tests.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
Add another American to the Formula E roster for 2015 as Speed replaces Marco Andretti for the first of two home races.
Mar 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Dutch driver reportedly seeking an urgent court order that would get him on the grid for the upcoming Australian Grand Prix.
Mar 5, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Big night of F1 programming upcoming tonight on NBCSN.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
With neither Hockenheim nor the Nurburgring prepared to host the race in 2015, the outlook is bleak for a German Grand Prix.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
New sponsor, new number (again) for Hinchcliffe’s 2015 IndyCar campaign.
Mar 4, 2015, 5:14 PM EST
Honda hints at more about its aero kits, while tossing out two dates of note.
Mar 4, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Look through the Pirelli World Challenge field continues with a look at GTS.
- Manor passes final crash tests ahead of Australian GP 1
- WATCH: Mercedes F1: Road to Repeat at 8 p.m. ET highlights F1 block on NBCSN 0
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 3
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1