Apr 17, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
NASCAR chairman Brian France’s unwavering stance to bring parity to the sport during his 10-year tenure is finally paying dividends.
While most of the sport is off this week for the Easter holiday and spring break, NASCAR’s PR staff sent out a media release Thursday that shows just how close the racing has gotten thus far in 2014.
Through this season’s first eight races:
* Although the Sprint Cup Series saw its first repeat winner at Darlington with Kevin Harvick‘s win after different winners in the first seven races, the streak of eight different Coors Light Pole winners remains intact. That streak is tied for the series’ longest season-opening streak of different pole winners.
* All three manufacturers have won races thus far: Chevrolet leads with four wins, Ford has three and Toyota has one.
* There have been an average of 12 different leaders per race, compared to 8.6 at this point last year.
* There have been an average of 25.6 lead changes per race, compared to 17.4 in 2013.
* There have been 29,541 green flag passes, compared to 23,178 in 2013.
* There have been 346 green flag passes for the lead, compared to 181 in 2013.
* The average margin of victory in the first eight races has been just 0.588 seconds, the smallest since 2008.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Aug 2, 2015, 9:47 PM EDT
Sunday’s win fulfilled a lifelong dream for Ohio-native Graham Rahal.
Aug 2, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
Montoyas 42-point lead over Rahal all but disappears in one race.
Aug 2, 2015, 5:56 PM EDT
Sage Karam in the crosshairs again after controversial Lap 66 spin at Mid-Ohio.
Aug 2, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT
Wilson earns first podium finish since Houston in 2013.
Aug 2, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT
Quick thinking from Rahal’s strategists allows the Ohio native to storm to his second win of the 2015 season and slice the gap to Montoya in the championship race.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
Castroneves led at halfway due to off-setting pit strategy.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Alex Lynn has made an impression during his rookie GP2 season, but can he make the step up to F1 in 2016?
Aug 2, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
McLaren’s CEO feels the reasons behind limiting in-season testing offer a “false economy”.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Watch live from Mid-Ohio ahead of the 14th round of the Verizon IndyCar Series season.
Aug 2, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Latvala wins on home soil for the second time in the WRC with a record-breaking display.
Aug 2, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT
Big drama in second Indy Lights race of the weekend at Mid-Ohio.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
What to watch for ahead of Round 14 of the Verizon IndyCar Series season, the Honda Indy 200 from the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
Hunter-Reay finishes on top ahead of Helio Castroneves and Jack Hawksworth despite crashing his car.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT
The Italian Grand Prix looks set to remain at Monza beyond 2016 thanks to a tax-free investment from the Italian government.
Aug 1, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Mazda Road to Indy and Pirelli World Challenge race updates from Mid-Ohio as they happen on one of the busiest road racing days of the year.
Aug 1, 2015, 6:48 PM EDT
Enerson finally breaks through for overdue first Indy Lights win.
Aug 1, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Mercedes F1 reserve driver finishes second at the Red Bull Ring to move into the lead of the DTM championship.
Aug 1, 2015, 4:46 PM EDT
In his third career start in the ARCA Racing Series, Cole Custer breezed to victory in Saturday’s ModSpace 125 at Pocono Raceway.
Aug 1, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
Dixon blisters previous mark for the track record at Mid-Ohio.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
At 17, Verstappen is still too young to get a road driver’s licence in Belgium.
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 0
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 1
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 2
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0
- Hunter-Reay fastest in final Mid-Ohio warm up despite spinning out 0