Apr 17, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
NASCAR chairman Brian France’s unwavering stance to bring parity to the sport during his 10-year tenure is finally paying dividends.
While most of the sport is off this week for the Easter holiday and spring break, NASCAR’s PR staff sent out a media release Thursday that shows just how close the racing has gotten thus far in 2014.
Through this season’s first eight races:
* Although the Sprint Cup Series saw its first repeat winner at Darlington with Kevin Harvick‘s win after different winners in the first seven races, the streak of eight different Coors Light Pole winners remains intact. That streak is tied for the series’ longest season-opening streak of different pole winners.
* All three manufacturers have won races thus far: Chevrolet leads with four wins, Ford has three and Toyota has one.
* There have been an average of 12 different leaders per race, compared to 8.6 at this point last year.
* There have been an average of 25.6 lead changes per race, compared to 17.4 in 2013.
* There have been 29,541 green flag passes, compared to 23,178 in 2013.
* There have been 346 green flag passes for the lead, compared to 181 in 2013.
* The average margin of victory in the first eight races has been just 0.588 seconds, the smallest since 2008.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Aug 22, 2014, 7:37 PM EDT
Track drying has begun following a short, pre-race shower that’s held up the start of the Food City 300.
Aug 22, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
The Bowtie has won the IndyCar manufacturer’s title in all three seasons since returning to North American open-wheel racing in 2012.
Aug 22, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT
Jeff Gordon looked like he had the pole for Saturday’s Irwin Tools Night Race at Bristol Motor Speedway. But Kevin Harvick had other ideas.
Aug 22, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
At 7-feet tall, ESPN NASCAR analyst, team co-owner and former NBA star Brad Daugherty is a formidable presence. He’s also known to play a practical joke every now and then.
Aug 22, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
Unpredictable weather conditions have impacted the Food City 500 in its March spot, which the event has had since the 2005 season.
Aug 22, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
The 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series schedule will be officially presented on Tuesday, August 26 at 5 p.m. ET on a special 60-minute edition of NASCAR AMERICA.
Aug 22, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
“Rowdy” earns the pole for tonight’s Food City 300 with a lap of 125.142 miles per hour in the No. 54 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota.
Aug 22, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Former NASCAR Nationwide Series team owner Ed Whitaker passed away Friday at his home in Bristol, Va., business associate Peter Laura told the Bristol Herald Courier.
Aug 22, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
In statement, Alexander Rossi takes the high road after missing out on Grand Prix debut with Marussia in Spa.
Aug 22, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
Late in the 50-minute session, the Roush Fenway Racing driver zipped around the half-mile oval at 131.048 mph in the No. 17 Ford Fusion.
Aug 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Here’s today’s round-up from the paddock at Spa-Francorchamps.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
In the year of the power unit, Spa is rewarding the Mercedes-powered teams.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
Russian GP3 debutante Konstantin Tereschenko goes for a wild ride at Spa, but mercifully emerges unscathed.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
The Chip Ganassi Racing driver turns a lap of 131.083 mph around the high-banked half-mile to lead Friday’s first practice session.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
As good as he may be, is Max Verstappen too young to be racing up against drivers twice his age?
Aug 22, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Son of ex-racer Jos set to become the youngest ever F1 driver next season at the age of 17.
Aug 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
At 13th on the Chase Grid with three regular season races left, the former Sprint Cup champion isn’t feeling the need to choose between going for a win or having a good points day.
Aug 22, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Mercedes once again dominated practice, finishing first and second in both sessions on Friday at Spa.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Lotus being punished by Spa’s high-speed nature.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
Without IndyCar on track on Friday, Friday will be an abnormal day on track at Sonoma Raceway.
Video from NASCAR America
- Kevin Harvick edges Jeff Gordon for Bristol Sprint Cup pole 0
- Will A.J. Allmendinger seek payback for Brad Daugherty’s practical joke? 0
- 2015 NASCAR Schedule to be Revealed Tuesday, 5 p.m. ET, on special NASCAR AMERICA 0
- Rossi disappointed, but diplomatic, after Marussia no-go 0
- Hamilton strikes back to top FP2 ahead of Rosberg in Belgium 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Belgian Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Rosberg leads Hamilton in first Belgian GP practice 0