Apr 17, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
NASCAR chairman Brian France’s unwavering stance to bring parity to the sport during his 10-year tenure is finally paying dividends.
While most of the sport is off this week for the Easter holiday and spring break, NASCAR’s PR staff sent out a media release Thursday that shows just how close the racing has gotten thus far in 2014.
Through this season’s first eight races:
* Although the Sprint Cup Series saw its first repeat winner at Darlington with Kevin Harvick‘s win after different winners in the first seven races, the streak of eight different Coors Light Pole winners remains intact. That streak is tied for the series’ longest season-opening streak of different pole winners.
* All three manufacturers have won races thus far: Chevrolet leads with four wins, Ford has three and Toyota has one.
* There have been an average of 12 different leaders per race, compared to 8.6 at this point last year.
* There have been an average of 25.6 lead changes per race, compared to 17.4 in 2013.
* There have been 29,541 green flag passes, compared to 23,178 in 2013.
* There have been 346 green flag passes for the lead, compared to 181 in 2013.
* The average margin of victory in the first eight races has been just 0.588 seconds, the smallest since 2008.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Jul 4, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Watch latest INDYCAR Chronicles with Josef Newgarden.
Jul 4, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
The coinage of a new term took place at Silverstone on Thursday thanks for Force India’s owner.
Jul 4, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Both Ferraris will start behind Williams for the first time in 2015 on Sunday.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
The Red Bull driver will start tomorrow’s British Grand Prix from tenth place on the grid.
Jul 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
A lively GP2 race sees Sirotkin claim his first win in the series ahead of Rossi and championship leader Stoffel Vandoorne.
Jul 4, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Dutchman admits to NBCSN that he thought he would easily make it through to Q3 in British GP qualifying.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Massa will start tomorrow’s British Grand Prix from third place on the grid ahead of Williams teammate Valtteri Bottas.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:47 AM EDT
Hamilton thanks fans for support as over 100,000 come out for qualifying on Saturday at Silverstone.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
Hamilton edges out Rosberg for top spot in Q3 on Saturday at Silverstone.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
Can Lewis Hamilton storm to his eighth pole position of the 2015 Formula 1 season on Saturday at Silverstone?
Jul 4, 2015, 6:02 AM EDT
British driver back on top at Silverstone as Rosberg suffers another gearbox problem.
Jul 4, 2015, 4:45 AM EDT
Rosberg looks to make it a clean sweep of practice sessions on Saturday morning.
Jul 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Sirotkin claims his first pole in the GP2 Series on Friday ahead of Stoffel Vandoorne and Richie Stanaway.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Foust seeks another win, Speed looks for bounce back from tough Daytona at MCAS.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
The street and road course specialist gets his first taste of an oval in Iowa this week.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Wolff finishes eight-tenths of a second behind regular Williams driver Felipe Massa in FP1 on Friday.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT
British driver switches back to the old setting on his Mercedes after struggling in the past four races.
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0
- NHRA: New president Peter Clifford full of ideas to get drag racing back on-track 10
- Ryan Briscoe making most of filling in for James Hinchcliffe 1