Apr 17, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
NASCAR chairman Brian France’s unwavering stance to bring parity to the sport during his 10-year tenure is finally paying dividends.
While most of the sport is off this week for the Easter holiday and spring break, NASCAR’s PR staff sent out a media release Thursday that shows just how close the racing has gotten thus far in 2014.
Through this season’s first eight races:
* Although the Sprint Cup Series saw its first repeat winner at Darlington with Kevin Harvick‘s win after different winners in the first seven races, the streak of eight different Coors Light Pole winners remains intact. That streak is tied for the series’ longest season-opening streak of different pole winners.
* All three manufacturers have won races thus far: Chevrolet leads with four wins, Ford has three and Toyota has one.
* There have been an average of 12 different leaders per race, compared to 8.6 at this point last year.
* There have been an average of 25.6 lead changes per race, compared to 17.4 in 2013.
* There have been 29,541 green flag passes, compared to 23,178 in 2013.
* There have been 346 green flag passes for the lead, compared to 181 in 2013.
* The average margin of victory in the first eight races has been just 0.588 seconds, the smallest since 2008.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Apr 20, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The joys of return flights home from the West Coast for the IndyCar community..
Apr 20, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Another tough day at office for Honda, Newgarden comes up short of top-five and other tidbits from Long Beach.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Sebastian Saavedra has a clean, quiet, consistent weekend and ended P10 on debut for Ganassi.
Apr 20, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
It was a bizarre weekend for Dale Coyne’s No. 18, which saw one driver replaced before the weekend began, one injured before getting the chance to debut, and one finally getting a long overdue shot.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:38 AM EDT
Long Beach got off to a great start, courtesy of Patrick Stewart’s enthusiastic command to start engines.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
It may have been a routine victory for Lewis Hamilton in Bahrain, but both Nico Rosberg and Kimi Raikkonen showed some of the fight that has been lacking in recent months.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Ferrari team principal believes two mistakes from the four-time world champion cost him a place on the podium in Bahrain.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
A mistake by Sebastian Vettel allows Bottas to take fourth place on Sunday in Bahrain.
Apr 19, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
JPM, Helio laugh about the four nationalities represented at Team Penske.
Apr 19, 2015, 7:41 PM EDT
Bobby Unser praises Scott Dixon, while Dixon himself downplays the accomplishment.
Apr 19, 2015, 6:18 PM EDT
Scott Dixon finally wins in Long Beach.
Apr 19, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
The nine-time world champion extends his lead at the top of the riders’ championship in MotoGP.
Apr 19, 2015, 5:32 PM EDT
Dixon leads halfway at Long Beach.
Apr 19, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Romain Grosjean manages to salvage some points for Lotus in Bahrain, finishing seventh.
Apr 19, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Ed Jones survives streets of Long Beach to win Round 3 for Indy Lights.
Apr 19, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Ricciardo finishes the race in a blaze of glory, but holds on to sixth place for Red Bull.
Apr 19, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Watch the third round of the IndyCar season, from the streets of Long Beach, at 4 p.m. ET on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.
Apr 19, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
German driver was forced to make an unscheduled pit stop towards the end of the race in Bahrain after running over the kerbs at the final corner.
Apr 19, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Watch the third round of the Indy Lights season today at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
- Hamilton may have won again, but it was Raikkonen and Rosberg who stood out in Bahrain 5
- Scott Dixon breaks through for elusive Long Beach win 2
- Hamilton pleased to fend off Ferrari in Bahrain despite last lap brake scare 1
- Hamilton puts on a show under the lights to win Bahrain GP 6
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0