Apr 17, 2014, 3:59 PM EST
NASCAR chairman Brian France’s unwavering stance to bring parity to the sport during his 10-year tenure is finally paying dividends.
While most of the sport is off this week for the Easter holiday and spring break, NASCAR’s PR staff sent out a media release Thursday that shows just how close the racing has gotten thus far in 2014.
Through this season’s first eight races:
* Although the Sprint Cup Series saw its first repeat winner at Darlington with Kevin Harvick‘s win after different winners in the first seven races, the streak of eight different Coors Light Pole winners remains intact. That streak is tied for the series’ longest season-opening streak of different pole winners.
* All three manufacturers have won races thus far: Chevrolet leads with four wins, Ford has three and Toyota has one.
* There have been an average of 12 different leaders per race, compared to 8.6 at this point last year.
* There have been an average of 25.6 lead changes per race, compared to 17.4 in 2013.
* There have been 29,541 green flag passes, compared to 23,178 in 2013.
* There have been 346 green flag passes for the lead, compared to 181 in 2013.
* The average margin of victory in the first eight races has been just 0.588 seconds, the smallest since 2008.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Nov 25, 2014, 8:07 PM EST
A post-season exit survey provides some very interesting fan data on NASCAR’s latest version of its post-season format.
Nov 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
The outgoing crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr. also talks about his successor needing to make his own mark.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:45 PM EST
The Delaware family court hearing is a separate matter from the ongoing police investigation into allegations of assault against Busch by his ex-girlfriend.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Brian Scott gets a new crew chief for 2015’s XFINITY campaign.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:44 PM EST
It may be Thanksgiving week but NASCAR AMERICA is still on tonight at 5 p.m. ET.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
The ex-Caterham pilot runs 95 laps in the Sauber C33 at Yas Marina Circuit.
Jay Mohr back to host this year’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Awards; Aloe Blacc, Lady Antebellum among performers
Nov 25, 2014, 3:48 PM EST
A star-studded affair to come for NASCAR in Las Vegas.
Nov 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
Palmer logs only 37 laps for Force India in Abu Dhabi, but places fourth on the time sheets.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
Caterham not only stays for test, but banks 100-plus laps on Tuesday in Abu Dhabi.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Carlos Sainz Jr. has a good day with Red Bull, as he stakes claim for Toro Rosso seat in 2015.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Rosberg pounds out 114 laps – the most of any driver – in Day 1 of testing in Abu Dhabi.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
IndyCar’s available pool of talent, as always, is larger than the number of remaining seats.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
The Ford squad enters this week’s World RX finale down four points in their fight for the team championship.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
McLaren-Honda gets out, with ideally more to come on Wednesday.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:36 AM EST
One Mercedes team on top, one former Mercedes team gets install laps only.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Go inside the numbers of this year’s final F1 points standings.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
GP3 champ to have first F1 run.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:40 AM EST
Ex-Lotus reserve will have his first IndyCar test in December.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:03 PM EST
The two drivers answer the call of the open road.
Nov 24, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
The future NASCAR on NBC analyst talks about how Rick Hendrick and his partnerships with Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt Jr. have impacted his life.
Video from NASCAR America
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 2
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 4
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 4
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 11