Apr 18, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
With NASCAR indicating that it will make engine modifications for the Sprint Cup Series sometime in the future – which could involve a reduction in horsepower – one of the series’ most prominent team owners has an idea on how the sanctioning body should do it.
Jack Roush, owner of Roush Fenway Racing, told NASCAR.com that the modifications should include “a restriction on the intake side” that doesn’t involve restrictor plates, such as a reduction of the throttle bore size.
“[It is] straightforward and it is easily reversible if you decided that the quality of the racing was hurt by it,” Roush said. “If they want to take 100 horsepower off, reduce horsepower significantly, the least expensive and most palatable way to do that is with a restriction on the intake side.”
Roush also hoped that NASCAR would take the costs incurred upon the teams into account as they go about making the changes, saying that his and other teams can only afford to change so much at a time.
However, Roush feels like the sanctioning body could ultimately wind up simply reducing the RPM on the engine and add a requirement that engines must be used for two races apiece.
“By reducing the RPM, you reduce the power available for the car without changing its restriction or changing its displacement,” he said. “By making the requirement that an engine be run twice before it was subject to rebuild, we would have that opportunity to reduce costs to the teams.”
NASCAR CEO Brian France first indicated earlier this month that engine changes would come sometime within the next two seasons.
Video from NASCAR America
- Brad Keselowski wins pole for Sunday’s Chase race at New Hampshire 0
- F1 Friday Analysis: Is Lewis the man to beat? 0
- Hamilton tops FP2 as night falls in Singapore 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Singapore Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Singapore GP 0
- Michael Waltrip challenges Dale Jr. to go Dancing With The Stars 1
- Report: Why Mark Martin couldn’t be Danica Patrick’s driving coach 6