In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Joys of travel: Most of IndyCar community has to take red eyes back after Long Beach

Apr 20, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

LAXredeye Getty Images

The joys of return flights home from the West Coast for the IndyCar community..

2. IndyCar notes: Andretti leads Honda contingent; Coletti quick but unlucky and more from Long Beach

Apr 20, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT

MA27lb Getty Images

Another tough day at office for Honda, Newgarden comes up short of top-five and other tidbits from Long Beach.

3. IndyCar: Saavedra cracks top-10 on debut with Ganassi at Long Beach

Apr 20, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

LBw2w4 Getty Images

Sebastian Saavedra has a clean, quiet, consistent weekend and ended P10 on debut for Ganassi.

4. The saga of Coyne’s No. 18 at Long Beach: Moran’s lost debut leads to Daly’s long overdue chance

Apr 20, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT

Photo: INDYCAR Photo: INDYCAR

It was a bizarre weekend for Dale Coyne’s No. 18, which saw one driver replaced before the weekend began, one injured before getting the chance to debut, and one finally getting a long overdue shot.

5. Sir Patrick Stewart gave an awesome start command at Long Beach (VIDEO)

Apr 20, 2015, 11:38 AM EDT

Sir Patrick Stewart command AP

Long Beach got off to a great start, courtesy of Patrick Stewart’s enthusiastic command to start engines.

6. Hamilton may have won again, but it was Raikkonen and Rosberg who stood out in Bahrain

Apr 20, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT

Mideast Bahrain F1 GP Auto Racing AP

It may have been a routine victory for Lewis Hamilton in Bahrain, but both Nico Rosberg and Kimi Raikkonen showed some of the fight that has been lacking in recent months.

7. Arrivabene: Vettel cost Ferrari double podium in Bahrain

Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Bahrain - Qualifying Getty Images

Ferrari team principal believes two mistakes from the four-time world champion cost him a place on the podium in Bahrain.

8. Bottas pleased to hang on for fourth place in Bahrain

Apr 20, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Bahrain Getty Images

A mistake by Sebastian Vettel allows Bottas to take fourth place on Sunday in Bahrain.

9. Montoya, Castroneves riff on Penske quartet’s nationalities post-race at Long Beach

Apr 19, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT

JPMhelioLB Getty Images

JPM, Helio laugh about the four nationalities represented at Team Penske.

10. Dixon passes Bobby Unser for fifth on all-time list with 36th IndyCar win

Apr 19, 2015, 7:41 PM EDT

DixonBobby36 Getty Images

Bobby Unser praises Scott Dixon, while Dixon himself downplays the accomplishment.

11. MotoGP: Rossi wins in Argentina after Marquez clash

Apr 19, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT

MotoGp of Argentina - Qualifying Getty Images

The nine-time world champion extends his lead at the top of the riders’ championship in MotoGP.

12. Engine issue costs Maldonado shot at points finish

Apr 19, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-BHR-F1 Getty Images

Romain Grosjean manages to salvage some points for Lotus in Bahrain, finishing seventh.

13. Jones makes it an Indy Lights hat trick with win in Long Beach

Apr 19, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT

Photo: Carlin Media Photo: Carlin Media

Ed Jones survives streets of Long Beach to win Round 3 for Indy Lights.

14. Ricciardo finishes sixth in Bahrain despite suffering engine failure at the final turn

Apr 19, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Bahrain Getty Images

Ricciardo finishes the race in a blaze of glory, but holds on to sixth place for Red Bull.

15. WATCH LIVE: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach at 4 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra

Apr 19, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

LBwatchlive Getty Images

Watch the third round of the IndyCar season, from the streets of Long Beach, at 4 p.m. ET on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.

16. Vettel takes blame for causing front wing damage

Apr 19, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Bahrain Getty Images

German driver was forced to make an unscheduled pit stop towards the end of the race in Bahrain after running over the kerbs at the final corner.

17. Button fails to start Bahrain GP, live tweets the race instead

Apr 19, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-BHR-F1 Getty Images

Another electrical problem for McLaren meant that Button was unable to line up on the grid for the race in Bahrain.

18. WATCH: Indy Lights at Long Beach, 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN

Apr 19, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT

IndyLights

Watch the third round of the Indy Lights season today at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN.