In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. IndyCar drivers break down Belle Isle Park street course

May 27, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT

Chevrolet Indy Dual In Detroit - Dual II Getty Images

The last seven races held in Detroit have been won by a different driver.

2. INDYCAR announces post-Indy 500 penalties; Coyne, Herta pit penalties among them

May 27, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT

Photo: INDYCAR Photo: INDYCAR

Penalties doled out after the Indy 500, most notably to the No. 19 and 98 teams for pit incidents.

3. Tristan Vautier, Rodolfo Gonzalez to race for Dale Coyne Racing in Detroit Duals

May 27, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT

Tristan Vautier Tristan Vautier

Gonzalez returns to No. 18 car after running it in the Grand Prix of Alabama.

4. Graham Rahal feels ‘really good’ about Detroit Dual

May 27, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT

Graham Rahal Graham Rahal

After three straight top-five finishes, Graham Rahal returns to the site of his only 2014 podium.

5. Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency

May 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT

Photo: Red Bull Content Pool Photo: Red Bull Content Pool

Ahead of the Red Bull GRC season, Tanner Foust and Scott Speed look for better luck in the pair of Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetles.

6. Charlie Kimball looks to capitalize on Indianapolis performance in Detroit Dual

May 27, 2015, 12:28 PM EDT

Charlie Kimball Charlie Kimball

Charlie Kimball says his team has hit its stride after two straight top-five finishes.

7. Wilson adds Andretti FE to his diverse racing portfolio, racing at Moscow

May 27, 2015, 10:41 AM EDT

Justin Wilson AP

Wilson and Andretti continue relationship at FE race in Moscow.

8. Racing for Cancer, DeBoer partner ahead of Le Mans Festival

May 27, 2015, 9:23 AM EDT

deboer_3D_rendering_lemans

Racing for Cancer to make trip to this year’s Le Mans, with Derek DeBoer in an Aston Martin Vantage GT4.

9. Red Bull GRC course layout for Ft. Lauderdale opener revealed

May 27, 2015, 8:16 AM EDT

FtLauderdaleMain Getty Images

The Red Bull GRC season kicks off in Fort Lauderdale this weekend.

10. Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit

May 27, 2015, 7:44 AM EDT

IndyCar Detroit Auto Racing AP

Fast facts heading into this weekend’s Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit, courtesy of IndyCar PR staff.

11. Chaves wins Indy 500 Rookie of the Year honors

May 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Chaves best of two first-year drivers in 99th Indianapolis 500.

12. Nelson Piquet, SH Rallycross look for big second year in Red Bull GRC

May 26, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

Photo: Red Bull Content Pool Photo: Red Bull Content Pool

Look out for Nelson Piquet Jr. and SH Rallycross to have a big year in 2015.

13. Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500

May 25, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT

Juan Pablo Montoya, Will Power Juan Pablo Montoya, Will Power

Runner-up Will Power said it’s as simple as making the cars slower.

14. Juan Pablo Montoya feted by peers worldwide for Indy win

May 25, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT

Juan Pablo Montoya Juan Pablo Montoya

After his second triumph in the Greatest Spectacle in Racing, he is ovewhelmed by congratulatory messages.

15. Montoya’s Indianapolis 500 win adds another storied chapter to the Roger Penske-Chip Ganassi rivalry

May 25, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT

Chip Ganassi, Roger Penske Chip Ganassi, Roger Penske

They are the only car owners to win the Daytona 500 and Indianapolis 500 in the same season.

16. WSR: Jaafar seizes championship lead with Monaco win