In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Danica Patrick finishes career-best 6th after G-W-C craziness in Atlanta

Sep 1, 2014, 1:25 AM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 - Qualifying Getty Images

The result beats her previous high water mark of seventh this past May at Kansas.

2. Kevin Harvick far from being happy after Paul Menard wrecks him, costing a chance for win

Sep 1, 2014, 1:10 AM EDT

(Photo: Jonathan Moore/Getty Images) Getty Images

HAMPTON, Ga. — It was a rough night for a number of drivers in Sunday’s Oral-B USA 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Atlanta, including Kevin Harvick, Clint Bowyer and Marcos Ambrose.

3. Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go

Sep 1, 2014, 12:43 AM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 Getty Images

Matt Kenseth enters the post-season with a second place result, while Clint Bowyer finds himself outside the Chase Grid going into next Saturday’s regular season finale.

4. Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase

Sep 1, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT

Kahne wins at Atl 2014 Getty Images

HAMPTON, Ga. – Kasey Kahne’s 17th career Sprint Cup win couldn’t have been any larger.

5. Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta

Aug 31, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT

stewart atlanta 2014 Getty Images

HAMPTON, Ga. – It was not the comeback that Tony Stewart had hoped for.

6. NASCAR Atlanta Update: Stewart falls back after contact with Kyle Busch; Kenseth leads

Aug 31, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 Getty Images

Tony Stewart’s return to competition tonight at Atlanta Motor Speedway has encountered some trouble after a restart run-in with “Rowdy.”

7. Schumacher (TF), Hagan (FC), Line (PS), Krawiec (PSM) ones to beat in Monday’s NHRA U.S. Nationals finals

Aug 31, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT

2014 NHRA U.S. Nationals LOGO

Following Sunday’s final round of qualifying, Tony Schumacher (Top Fuel), Matt Hagan (Funny Car), Jason Line (Pro Stock) and Eddie Krawiec (Pro Stock Motorcycle) will lead their respective classes as No. 1 qualifiers for Monday’s final eliminations of the 60th annual Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals.

8. Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta

Aug 31, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT

ATL fans pre-race 2014 Getty Images

HAMPTON, Ga. — There was no question which driver received the most applause and cheers during driver introductions prior to the start of Sunday night’s Oral-B USA 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

9. Another major sponsor reaffirms backing of Tony Stewart

Aug 31, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

Quaker State 400 presented by Advance Auto Parts - Practice Getty Images

Rush Truck Centers’ CEO: “We stand with Tony.”

10. How many Chase spots will still be in play after Atlanta?

Aug 31, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT

Pure Michigan 400 - Practice Getty Images

Matt Kenseth can clinch a spot in the post-season with a finish of seventh or better in tonight’s race at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

11. Atlanta Motor Speedway honors longtime motorsports reporter ‘Capt. Herb’ Emory

Aug 31, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT

herb emory AMS media center

HAMPTON, Ga. — Atlanta Motor Speedway will honor longtime Atlanta-area broadcaster and motorsports reporter “Capt. Herb” Emory, who passed away in April at the age of 61, prior to Sunday’s Oral-B USA 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup race.

12. Ryan Blaney takes last-lap duel, wins NASCAR Trucks at CTMP (VIDEO)

Aug 31, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT

14th Annual Michigan National Guard 200 - Practice Getty Images

Ryan Blaney uses a cross-over move on German Quiroga in the final corner and then beats him to the stripe, winning the Chevrolet Silverado 250.

13. NHRA: Tony Schumacher claims $100K Top Fuel bonus at U.S. Nationals

Aug 31, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT

NHRA Auto Racing AP

The 9-time U.S. Nationals champion dispatches Richie Crampton in the final of the Traxxas Shootout with a track-record speed of 328.54 mph.

14. Former Caterham staff begin legal action against team

Aug 31, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Great Britain - Practice Getty Images

The legal wranglings following the sale of the team look set to continue.

15. Mosley: Mercedes shouldn’t publicly chastise Rosberg

Aug 31, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

BRITAIN-MEDIA-POLITICS-LEVESON Getty Images

Former FIA president believes Mercedes made a mistake hanging its dirty laundry out for all to see.

16. VIDEO: Max Verstappen crashes during Rotterdam show run

Aug 31, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Belgium - Previews Getty Images

Not the best start to life with Red Bull for the young Dutchman.

17. Moto GP: Marquez a winner again, beating Lorenzo at Silverstone

Aug 31, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

MotoGp Of Great Britain - Qualifying Getty Images

Marquez claims win number 11 of his remarkable sophomore year in Moto GP.

18. COTA and V8 Supercars mutually terminate contract

Aug 31, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT

V8 Supercars - Austin 400: Qualifying And Race Getty Images

Australian touring car series will not be returning to Austin in 2015 as originally planned.

19. Will Power’s brother Damien live tweets Will’s IndyCar title run; hilarity ensues

Aug 31, 2014, 4:00 AM EDT

WillChamp2 Getty Images

Will Power’s brother Damien provides raucous, hilarious commentary as Will drove towards the Verizon IndyCar Series title.

Video from NASCAR America