In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Jeff Gordon fastest in first Martinsville Sprint Cup practice

Oct 24, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT

Goody's Headache Relief Shot 500 - Practice Getty Images

Gordon leads group of four Chasers in Top 5 speeds; all 8 remaining Chasers within Top 15.

2. Lotus to evaluate new nose design in Austin

Oct 24, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Italy Getty Images

Formula 1’s new technical regulations prompted Lotus to use a twin-tusk nose for 2014, but this could be scrapped for next season.

3. Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil

Oct 24, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT

Caterham Getty Images

Bernie Ecclestone allows the team to miss the next two races as it searches for a buyer.

4. Lotus close to confirming Romain Grosjean for 2015

Oct 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Canadian F1 Grand Prix - Practice Getty Images

Deputy team boss Federico Gastaldi says the team is close to finalizing its drive line-up, with Grosjean in pole position for the seat.

5. Matt Kenseth looking for “career highlight” win this weekend at Martinsville

Oct 24, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT

GEICO 500 - Qualifying Getty Images

A win for Kenseth this Sunday would also put him into the Sprint Cup Championship Race at Homestead next month.

6. Emerson Fittipaldi to be in attendance at Austin for fan event

Oct 24, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

2013 Laureus World Sports Awards Nominations Getty Images

Two-time Formula One World Champion Emerson Fittipaldi will make an appearance at Austin’s Circuit of the Americas next week as part of a COTA fan experience.

7. Ricciardo: United States GP my favorite race of the season

Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Russia - Previews Getty Images

Ricciardo full of praise for Austin and the Circuit of the Americas ahead of next weekend’s race.

8. The man behind the sculptures: William Behrends’ presence endures for Borg-Warner Trophy, and Giants legends

Oct 24, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT

Photos courtesy Steve Shunck Photos courtesy Steve Shunck

Statues outside AT&T Park and the faces on the Borg-Warner Trophy share a common thread, in sculptor William Behrends.

9. Schumacher’s doctor notes progress, but calls for patience

Oct 24, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

File photo of Schumacher looking on during the qualifying session for the Italian F1 Grand Prix race at the Monza racetrack in Monza Reuters

Dr. Jean-Francois Payen says that he has noticed some progress in Schumacher’s recovery.

10. Esteban Ocon enjoys ‘exceptional’ F1 test for Lotus

Oct 24, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

© Lotus F1 Team © Lotus F1 Team

Sauber also complete a test in Spain with Adderly Fong and Roy Nissany.

11. Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’

Oct 24, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

Spanish Formula One Grand Prix: Qualifying Getty Images

Just like Arrows and Super Aguri before it, Caterham is on its last legs. However, it is going out in far less dignified fashion.

12. Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team

Oct 24, 2014, 7:26 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-F1-BELGIUM-SPA-PRACTICE Getty Images

Finnbarr O’Connell is now in charge at Leafield as the team prepares for a race against time to make the United States GP in Austin next weekend.

13. Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday

Oct 23, 2014, 11:02 PM EDT

(Image courtesy Hendrick Motorsports) (Image courtesy Hendrick Motorsports)

This is a column that should never have been written, about an event that never should have happened.

14. Kentucky native Jack Roush to be inducted into state’s Motorsports Hall of Fame

Oct 23, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT

(Doug Pensinger/Getty Images) Getty Images

Legendary motorsports team owner and innovator — and Kentucky native — Jack Roush will be inducted this Saturday into the Kentucky Motorsports Hall of Fame. Roush was born in Covington, Ky.

15. NASCAR America: Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports plane crash

Oct 23, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT

(Courtesy Hendrick Motorsports) (Courtesy Hendrick Motorsports)

On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR America, Kyle Petty joined Dave Briggs to mark the 10-year anniversary of the Hendrick Motorsports plane crash and how the team recovered from it.

16. Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months

Oct 23, 2014, 7:37 PM EDT

(Photo courtesy Lincoln, Ala. Police Department) (Photo courtesy Lincoln, Ala. Police Department)

For the second time in 18 months, police in the area of Talladega Superspeedway are investigating the disappearance of a race fan who had intended to go to the Sprint Cup race at the 2.66-mile racetrack.

17. Enrique Contreras III, nephew of Carlos Contreras, to make first NASCAR truck race start at Martinsville

Oct 23, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT

(Photo credit: Enrique Contreras III) (Photo credit: Enrique Contreras III)

Enrique Contreras III, nephew of veteran Mexican racer Carlos Contreras, will make his NASCAR debut in Saturday’s Camping World Truck Race at Martinsville Speedway.

18. PWC: GTSport to continue two-car Cayman GTS effort

Oct 23, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Photo: GTSport Racing Photo: GTSport Racing

GTSport Racing returns with Jack Baldwin and Buz McCall.

19. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook

Oct 23, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT

141023-nascar-america

Martinsville preview on tap in Thursday’s NASCAR AMERICA.

Video from NASCAR America