In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Road America adds new video boards, makes further track investments

May 4, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT

Photo: Road America Photo: Road America

Road America invests millions into some track upgrades for 2015.

2. Olympic gold medalist Nastia Liukin named grand marshal for 2015 Indianapolis 500

May 4, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT

Photo: IMS Photo: IMS

Nastia Liukin named grand marshal for this year’s Indianapolis 500.

3. Tequila Patron ESM makes its Ligier JS P2 Honda race debut in Spa (VIDEOS)

May 4, 2015, 1:33 PM EDT

Photo: Tequila Patron ESM Photo: Tequila Patron ESM

Videos from the debut of the new Ligier JS P2 Hondas for Tequila Patron ESM at Spa-Francorchamps this weekend.

4. Andretti, Honda open strongly on Indy 500 opening day

May 4, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT

Photo: Honda Photo: Honda

Early days yet, but seems as though Andretti Autosport is starting the month of May out on the right foot.

5. Westbrook, Valiante score TUDOR win in Monterey

May 4, 2015, 11:24 AM EDT

TUDORmrlswin Getty Images

The No. 90 Corvette DP pairing ends on top in Monterey.

6. Montoya fastest on opening day of Indianapolis 500 practice

May 3, 2015, 8:42 PM EDT

Photo: IMS Photography Photo: IMS Photography

Day one of the month of May is in the books at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

7. Iranian government planning to build Formula 1 circuit

May 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-BHR-F1 Getty Images

Could we see the Iranian Grand Prix join the F1 calendar in years to come?

8. Chester confident Lotus can compete with Red Bull

May 3, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Bahrain Getty Images

Lotus technical director Nick Chester expresses his confidence in the upcoming upgrade package for the E23 Hybrid car.

9. A handful of new drivers, liveries make first outing for Indy 500 practice (PHOTOS)

May 3, 2015, 2:11 PM EDT

Mann and Daly. Photo: INDYCAR Mann and Daly. Photo: INDYCAR

A run through of new driver firesuits and liveries thus far on the first day of practice for the Indianapolis 500.

10. Di Resta, Wehrlein score podiums in opening DTM weekend

May 3, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

DTM German Touring Car Hockenheim - Qualifying Getty Images

Ex-Force India driver di Resta picks up his first podium finish since returning to DTM in 2014.

11. MotoGP: Lorenzo claims first win of 2015 at Spanish GP

May 3, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT

Spain Motorcycle Grand Prix AP

Spanish rider wins on home soil as Valentino Rossi scores his 200th podium finish.

12. Conor Daly’s Smithfield Foods “Fueled by Bacon” special revealed at IMS

May 3, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT

Photo: Schmidt Peterson Motorsports Photo: Schmidt Peterson Motorsports

Conor Daly’s “Fueled by Bacon” No. 43 Smithfield Foods Honda is revealed.

13. WEC: Hulkenberg impresses on debut, finishing sixth