In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Keselowski: ‘I’m not (Dale Earnhardt Sr.) … I’m just trying to do things my own way’

Oct 22, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT

(Jared C. Tilton/NASCAR via Getty Images) Getty Images

Brad Keselowski is flattered people might compare him with the late Dale Earnhardt, but he’ll be the first to say he’s not the new Intimidator in NASCAR.

2. Greatest collection of Indy 500 pace cars to be displayed soon

Oct 22, 2014, 8:18 PM EDT

(Photo courtesy Indianapolis Motor Speedway) (Photo courtesy Indianapolis Motor Speedway)

Perhaps the greatest collection of original Indianapolis 500 pace cars will soon be on display at an upcoming car show in suburban Chicago.

3. IndyCar driver James Hinchcliffe being toasted for fast-selling beer

Oct 22, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT

(Photo courtesy Hinchtown.com) (Photo courtesy Hinchtown.com)

For most Canadians, their homebrewed beer choice is typically Labatts or Molson. But countryman and IndyCar driver James Hinchcliffe is starting to get some traction with his own beer brand, Hinchtown Hammer Down (HHD).

4. NASCAR America: Take a spin around Martinsville Speedway

Oct 22, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT

NASCAR America

On Wednesday’s edition of NASCAR America, Parker Kligerman took a spin around Martinsville Speedway in the NBC race simulator to show why the paper-clip shaped track can be extremely difficult.

5. NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief

Oct 22, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT

Jimmy Prock, now former crew chief for John Force. (Photo courtesy John Force Racing) Jimmy Prock, now former crew chief for John Force. (Photo courtesy John Force Racing)

In a stunning move that could potentially threaten his bid for a record-extending 17th NHRA Funny Car championship, John Force announced Wednesday that veteran crew chief Jimmy Prock has resigned, effective immediately.

6. Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED)

Oct 22, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT

KurtDanica Getty Images

Crew chiefs, road crews for Nos. 10 and 41 Stewart-Haas Racing cars will swap starting at Texas.

7. Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED)

Oct 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-JPN-F1 Getty Images

More murky messaging from Leafield as Caterham’s future hangs in the balance.

8. Drag racer Ron Capps doesn’t let hurricane stop Hawaii appearance

Oct 22, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT

(AP Photo/NHRA, Teresa Long) AP

When you drive a car that produces nearly 10,000 horsepower and reaches speeds approaching 330 mph, a hurricane with wind speeds over 100 mph is nothing. That was the case Sunday for NHRA Funny Car driver Ron Capps.

9. Ken Block, Matthew Wilson to return to WRC in Spain this weekend

Oct 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

FIA World Rally Championship Mexico - Day Two Getty Images

Ken Block, Matthew Wilson make WRC returns for this weekend’s Rally Spain.

10. UPDATED: Will NHRA Funny Car legend John Force reveal new sponsor and manufacturer today?

Oct 22, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT

(AP Photo/NHRA) AP

Sixteen-time NHRA Funny Car champion John Force is expected to make a major announcement concerning John Force Racing later Tuesday afternoon.

11. NASCAR: Kurt Busch’s new 2015 paint scheme unveiled

Oct 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

Crown Royal Presents The John Wayne Walding 400 - Practice Getty Images

Kurt Busch’s 2015 paint scheme adds more red.

12. Lotus begins deal with jewelry company called Endless

Oct 22, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Japan - Qualifying Getty Images

Lotus will have a new sponsor for Austin that’s beginning, but called Endless.

13. Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO)

Oct 22, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT

DaleJrDega AP

Dale Earnhardt Jr. will be featured for UPMC campaign that seeks to change the conversation about concussions.

14. Sam Michael to leave McLaren at year’s end

Oct 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT

Sam-Michael-McL Getty Images

Sam Michael to leave McLaren at year’s end, the team confirms.

15. Here to stay: Keselowski vows that he won’t be run out of the sport

Oct 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

Geico 500 Getty Images

The championship contender talks about his reputation during a Monday night appearance at Texas Motor Speedway.

16. NASCAR AMERICA: Pressure mounts with four races to go in Chase (VIDEO)

Oct 21, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

(Streeter Lecka/Getty Images) Getty Images

As NASCAR AMERICA’s Kyle Petty explains, the new Chase format has created something that NASCAR hasn’t seen before.

17. NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO)

Oct 21, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

GEICO 500 - Practice Getty Images

A ninth Martinsville win on Sunday would put Gordon into the Championship Race at Homestead. Check out his interview with NASCAR AMERICA’s Jason Weigandt about his success at M’Ville and more.

18. Joey Logano says he’s made peace with Danica Patrick over Charlotte wreck

Oct 21, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT

GEICO 500 - Qualifying Getty Images

Logano admits he should’ve given Patrick more space on the race track two weekends ago.

19. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA talks with “Eliminator 8″ at 5 p.m. ET

Oct 21, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT

Credit: NASCAR Credit: NASCAR

Extended interviews with Kevin Harvick, Jeff Gordon, Brad Keselowski, and Carl Edwards also coming up on today’s episode of NASCAR AMERICA.

Video from NASCAR America