In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EST

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. F1′s fears are allayed as double points has no say in title fight

Nov 24, 2014, 10:00 AM EST

Mideast Emirates F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Felipe Massa and Sergio Perez the only drivers to benefit from double points in Abu Dhabi.

2. Caterham’s return in Abu Dhabi fails to produce a big result

Nov 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi - Qualifying Getty Images

However, simply getting to the race must go down as an achievement for the backmarkers.

3. Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal

Nov 24, 2014, 8:13 AM EST

Arrivabene AP

Mattiacci out, Arrivabene in as Ferrari team principal.

4. Marussia remains ninth in constructors as Sauber fails to score in Abu Dhabi

Nov 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

AUTO-PRIX-F1-ABU-DHABI-PRACTICE Getty Images

Gutierrez finishes as the lead Sauber in a lowly 15th place on Sunday.

5. (Updated) Remembering iconic motorsports PR great Denny Darnell

Nov 23, 2014, 6:10 PM EST

Denny Darnell (far left), with wife Jean, and Cyndee and Jerry Bonkowski. Denny Darnell (far left), with wife Jean, and Cyndee and Jerry Bonkowski.

The world of motorsports — particularly NASCAR and NHRA — is mourning arguably the best public relations person it has ever seen, Denny Darnell, who passed away Saturday.

6. Post-race fights in NASCAR Chase joked about during Eagles-Titans skirmish

Nov 23, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Brad Keselowsk AP

The Charlotte and Texas brawls from this year’s Chase are still resonating weeks after they occurred.

7. Marcos Ambrose wasting no time gearing up for V8 Supercars return in Australia

Nov 23, 2014, 5:17 PM EST

Marcos Ambrose is back home in Australia and already back in a V8 Supercar, preparing for his first race in two weeks. (Robert Cianflone/Getty Images) Getty Images

Marcos Ambrose is wasting little time in his return to racing V8 Supercars in his native Australia.

8. Virtual insanity: Meet the Chevy Chaparral 2X Vision Gran Turismo

Nov 23, 2014, 4:30 PM EST

Los Angeles Hosts Annual Auto Show Getty Images

A wild concept collaboration for Gran Turismo 6 between the Bowtie and famous race car builder Chaparral.

9. Petty’s 1988 Daytona wreck sold as prelude to upcoming auction of NASCAR Hall of Famer Cotton Owens estate

Nov 23, 2014, 3:53 PM EST

(Photo courtesy Greenville News) (Photo courtesy Greenville News)

The remains of Richard Petty’s crashed 1988 Pontiac Grand Prix from the 1988 Daytona 500 sold Saturday, a prelude of an even larger auction of late NASCAR Hall of Famer Cotton Owens’ estate on Dec. 6.

10. After thrilling title finale, NASCAR withdrawal now setting in

Nov 23, 2014, 2:30 PM EST

Ford EcoBoost 400 Getty Images

This weekend is the first without a NASCAR race since mid-July.

11. Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday

Nov 23, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Lewis Hamilton AP

For the last time in 2014, we round up all of the action in the paddock as Lewis Hamilton became Formula 1 world champion for the second time.

12. Force India rallies to double points score in Abu Dhabi

Nov 23, 2014, 1:30 PM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi - Qualifying Getty Images

It’s not enough to beat McLaren in the constructors’, but a great result nevertheless for Hulkenberg and Perez in Abu Dhabi.

13. Lotus’ Twitter hilarity powers through a challenging Renault sendoff

Nov 23, 2014, 1:15 PM EST

MaldonadoAD Getty Images

Lotus laughs rather than cries after a fitting end to its challenging 2014 season.

14. Button top-five caps off end of what could be several eras at McLaren

Nov 23, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

ButtonSignoff Getty Images

We know McLaren and Mercedes are done. But what of Jenson Button and/or Kevin Magnussen?

15. Ricciardo stars once more, from pit lane to fourth in Abu Dhabi

Nov 23, 2014, 12:45 PM EST

RicciardoAD Getty Images

Quite a drive from Daniel Ricciardo, primarily aided by start on primes.

16. Vettel thanks Red Bull for “incredible journey”

Nov 23, 2014, 12:15 PM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi Getty Images

After winning four world titles with Red Bull, Vettel is bound for Ferrari in 2015.

17. Prince Harry and David Cameron congratulate Hamilton on F1 title

Nov 23, 2014, 11:45 AM EST

Mideast Emirates F1 GP Auto Racing AP

On a great day for British motorsport, Prince Harry and British Prime Minister David Cameron send their congratulations to Hamilton.

18. Alonso rates time with Ferrari as 9/10, finishes P9 in final race for the Scuderia

Nov 23, 2014, 11:30 AM EST

Mideast Emirates F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Alonso is set to join McLaren in 2015 after five years with Ferrari.

19. Rosberg gracious in title defeat, says Hamilton deserved championship

Nov 23, 2014, 11:15 AM EST

Mideast Emirates F1 GP Auto Racing AP

An engine failure cost Rosberg the chance to emulate his father and become F1 world champion.

20. Williams double podium caps phenomenal comeback season

Nov 23, 2014, 10:56 AM EST

ADpodium Getty Images

Second and third for Massa and Bottas caps an incredible 2014 season for Williams.

Video from NASCAR America

Most unexpected event of 2014?
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches