In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Roczen, Dungey will settle championship fight at Motocross season finale today

Aug 23, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

Photo credit: ProMotocross.com/Matt Rice Photo credit: ProMotocross.com/Matt Rice

The 450 Class championship battle between Ryan Dungey and Ken Roczen has come down to the final race of the season. Who will leave Utah with a title in hand?

2. Alonso matches best 2014 qualifying result at Spa

Aug 23, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

Ferando Alonso AP

Fourth place a welcome surprise for Fernando Alonso and Ferrari.

3. WATCH LIVE: Utah National qualifying and pre-show at 1 p.m. ET; Tomac, Martin currently top the charts

Aug 23, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT

The final round of the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship has arrived. Watch the second qualifying session at 1 p.m. ET and the pre-show at 2:15 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Live Extra.

4. Bianchi impresses once again to make Q2 for Marussia

Aug 23, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Jules Bianchi AP

For the second year in a row, Bianchi managed to upset some of the bigger names during qualifying at Spa.

5. McLaren not planning to leave driver decision until off-season

Aug 23, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Great Britain - Practice Getty Images

Racing director Eric Boullier says that a decision will be made before the season is out.

6. Report: Darlington returning to Labor Day weekend on 2015 NASCAR schedule

Aug 23, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

Jeff Gordon, Kyle Busch, Jimmie Johnson AP

The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series had raced at the track “Too Tough To Tame” on Labor Day weekend from 1950-2003.

7. Mistakes from Hulkenberg result in Q1 elimination

Aug 23, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Belgium - Qualifying Getty Images

P18 on the grid goes down as the Hulk’s second-worst qualifying result in F1.

8. Vettel: Third the best Red Bull could achieve today

Aug 23, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Belgium - Qualifying Getty Images

Defending world champion qualifies a distant third behind the two Mercedes cars on Saturday at Spa.

9. Brake problem hinders Hamilton in Q3, but he is pleased with P2

Aug 23, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

Belgium F1 GP Auto Racing AP

2008 world champion secures his first top five qualifying result since the Canadian Grand Prix back in June.

10. Rosberg delighted with “awesome” pole position at Spa

Aug 23, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Belgium - Qualifying Getty Images

Mercedes locks out the front row of the grid for the first time since the Canadian Grand Prix back in June, with Rosberg claiming pole at one of the sport’s most famous circuits.

11. Hamilton: Beating Rosberg when he’s at his best “more painful”

Aug 23, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Belgium F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Lewis wants to beat Rosberg when the German is at the peak of his powers, as the two drivers fight for this year’s F1 world title.

12. Rosberg tames wet conditions to claim Belgian GP pole

Aug 23, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT

Belgium F1 GP Auto Racing AP

German driver takes pole at a damp Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps on Saturday afternoon.

13. Alonso accepts Ice Bucket Challenge, nominates Montezemolo and Briatore (VIDEO)

Aug 23, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

Monaco F1 GP Auto Racing AP

The Ferrari driver took the plunge after being nominated by Felipe Massa and soccer player Juan Manuel Mata.

14. WATCH LIVE: Belgian GP qualifying – can anyone stop Mercedes?

Aug 23, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT

Nico Rosberg AP

You can watch qualifying from Spa-Francorchamps live on CNBC and Live Extra from 8am ET.

15. Red Bull GRC: Daytona race and course preview (VIDEO)

Aug 23, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT

Coke Zero 400 - Practice Getty Images

The Daytona round of the Red Bull Global Rallycross is a key one and kicks off the second half of the 2014 season. Here’s more from Kristen Kenney heading into the weekend.

16. Alonso backs Sainz to reach F1 despite Toro Rosso snub

Aug 23, 2014, 7:15 AM EDT

F1 Young Driver Tests - Silverstone: Day Three Getty Images

Sainz was expected to get the Toro Rosso drive, but was rejected in favor of 16-year-old Max Verstappen.

17. Newey: Belgium about damage limitation for Red Bull

Aug 23, 2014, 6:30 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Qualifying Getty Images

Red Bull’s chief technical officer isn’t getting his hopes up for this weekend’s race at Spa.

18. Bottas breaks Mercedes’ stranglehold at Spa by topping FP3

Aug 23, 2014, 6:03 AM EDT

Valtteri Bottas AP

Williams finishes practice for the Belgian GP with a flourish.

19. WATCH LIVE: FP3 for the Belgian Grand Prix

Aug 23, 2014, 4:45 AM EDT

Fernando Alonso AP

One final chance for the drivers and teams to get to grips with Spa ahead of qualifying later today.

20. MRTI: Title battles to reach crescendo after intriguing Friday at Sonoma

Aug 23, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT

Photo: Pro Mazda AP

Dramatic day for Pro Mazda, USF2000 Friday in Sonoma.

Video from NASCAR America

Why Bristol is such a unique track
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches