In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EST

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it

Dec 21, 2014, 2:54 PM EST

(Photo courtesy MotorAuthority.com) (Photo courtesy MotorAuthority.com)

With just 40 less horsepower than a 2015 Sprint Cup car, the new Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat is VERY powerful. One new Hellcat owner, who bought it just one hour earlier, found out the hard way about all that power.

2. Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 10 – Kurt Busch and “The Double”

Dec 21, 2014, 2:30 PM EST

Kurt Busch AP

The Outlaw takes on the Indianapolis 500 and the Coca-Cola 600 in the same day.

3. NASCAR: Top drivers of 2014 – No. 22 Brian Vickers

Dec 21, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

FedEx 400 Benefiting Autism Speaks - Practice Getty Images

Vickers made his full-time return to Sprint Cup action in 2014, which in itself was a victory.

4. NASCAR: Top drivers of 2014 – No. 21 Paul Menard

Dec 21, 2014, 12:26 PM EST

(Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images) Getty Images

Paul Menard had a decent season at times in 2014, but fell short of making the Chase in the final qualifying race.

5. Empire Racing grabs 3 fastest spots in Daytona ARCA test

Dec 20, 2014, 11:42 PM EST

Sean Corr was the fastest driver in the two-day ARCA test at Daytona International Speedway. (Todd Warshaw/Getty Images) Getty Images

New York State’s Empire Racing took the three fastest spots as ARCA completed a two-day open test at Daytona International Speedway.

6. John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video)

Dec 20, 2014, 9:11 PM EST

John force with grandsons 2014

See NHRA great John Force like you’ve never seen him in this video, shot mainly through the eyes of his grandsons Jacob and Noah.

7. Dick Berggren to be inducted into Maine Motorsports Hall of Fame

Dec 20, 2014, 8:16 PM EST

(Photo courtesy Fox Sports) (Photo courtesy Fox Sports)

Dr. Dick Berggren will receive yet another prestigious honor in his career. He’ll be inducted into the Maine Motorsports Hall of Fame in April 2015.

8. New Hampshire Motor Speedway staff gives great holiday gift: NASCAR-themed carols

Dec 20, 2014, 7:00 PM EST

(Robert Laberge/Getty Images) Getty Images

The staff at New Hampshire Motor Speedway got into the holiday spirit, caroling with a unique NASCAR twist in a newly-released video.

9. NASCAR late model driver helps brighten holiday for needy Wisconsin family

Dec 20, 2014, 6:29 PM EST

nascar logo 2014 Getty Images

Matt Henderson, Henderson Motorsports, and local businesses deliver presents and gifts to family in La Crosse, Wisconsin.

10. IndyCar that will be ‘dropped’ to usher in New Year in Indianapolis to be unveiled Monday

Dec 20, 2014, 5:29 PM EST

verizon indycar series logo 2014

Times Square’s ‘ball drop’ will have nothing on Indianapolis as it lowers an Indy Car as the final seconds of 2014 tick off.

11. Dover International Speedway names new track president

Dec 20, 2014, 4:30 PM EST

Credit: Dover Motorsports Credit: Dover Motorsports

Michael Tatoian has been able to help bring additional events to the Monster Mile beyond its two NASCAR weekends.

12. Top NASCAR Stories of 2014: No. 11 – Carl Edwards leaves Roush Fenway Racing for Joe Gibbs Racing

Dec 20, 2014, 4:00 PM EST

Carl Edwards (left) and Matt Kenseth, former teammates at Roush Fenway Racing, will be reunited in 2015 at Joe Gibbs Racing. (Sean Gardner/Getty Images) Getty Images

Carl Edwards was the most sought-after Sprint Cup free agent in 2014. After more than a decade with Roush Fenway Racing, Edwards announced he will be driving for Joe Gibbs Racing in 2015.

13. WATCH: James Stewart, Travis Pastrana compete at Red Bull Straight Rhythm (NBC, 4 p.m. ET)

Dec 20, 2014, 3:35 PM EST

Photo credit: Shawn Smith Photo credit: Shawn Smith

Red Bull Straight Rhythm is a one-of-a-kind event, featuring an “unwound” supercross track and head-to-head racing. Tune in to NBC to see how it all played out.

14. Report: Bernie Ecclestone, German bank sue each other over sale of F1 stake

Dec 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Formula One Chief Executive Bernie Ecclestone arrives at the High Court in central London in this file photo Reuters

BayernLB sues Ecclestone and his family holding for 345 million Euros.

15. NASCAR: Top drivers of 2014 – No. 20 Austin Dillon

Dec 20, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

NASCAR Sprint Cup Sylvania 300 At NH Motor Speedway Getty Images

Dillon made a big first impression and then quietly learned the ropes in Sprint Cup.

16. NASCAR: Top drivers of 2014 – No. 19 Clint Bowyer

Dec 20, 2014, 12:00 PM EST

(Patrick Smith/Getty Images) Getty Images

Clint Bowyer endured the worst season of his Sprint Cup career in 2014. He hasn’t won a race since 2012, but 2015 could be a comeback year for him.

17. NHRA: Brittany Force set for 2015 to be her year in Top Fuel

Dec 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EST

Brittany Force. (Photos courtesy of Ron Lewis Photography) Brittany Force. (Photos courtesy of Ron Lewis Photography)

Daughter of legendary Funny Car champ John Force, Brittany Force is out to prove that 2015 will be her year in NHRA Top Fuel racing.

18. Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test

Dec 19, 2014, 6:55 PM EST

mick schumacher jr.

Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., spent a recent testing day in a Formula 4 car, a possible prelude to following in his famous father’s footsteps.

Video from NASCAR America