In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EST

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. NASCAR Canadian Tire Series 2015 schedule released

Dec 18, 2014, 9:51 PM EST

Canadian tire series logo

It lasts only four months, but there’ll be lots of action on the schedule for the 2015 NASCAR Canadian Tire Series.

2. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. to do a little pre-Christmas dirt tracking Saturday in Illinois

Dec 18, 2014, 9:26 PM EST

(Tom Pennington/Getty Images) Getty Images

Ricky Stenhouse Jr. will be slinging some pre-Christmas dirt this Saturday in an all-star sprint car race in DuQuoin, Ill.

3. Kurt Busch sponsor supports him ‘110 percent’ in dispute with ex-girlfriend

Dec 18, 2014, 8:50 PM EST

(Jerry Markland/Getty Images) Getty Images

One of Kurt Busch’s sponsors has joined team owner Gene Haas in backing the driver in his ongoing dispute with ex-girlfriend Patricia Driscoll.

4. Have a good laugh: Check out NASCAR America’s 2014 blooper reel (video)

Dec 18, 2014, 6:31 PM EST

NASCAR America

Want to have a good laugh or two? Check out all of the bloopers and behind-the-scenes fun from NASCAR America over this past year.

5. NASCAR suspends Camping World Truck Series crew member

Dec 18, 2014, 6:18 PM EST

nascar logo 2014

NASCAR announced that a Camping World Truck Series crew member has been suspended for violating the sanctioning body’s substance abuse policy.

6. WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN

Dec 18, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

ROA_Twitter_Promo

RoC, Mecum, and two F1 “Road To:” specials make for motors block on NBCSN tonight starting at 7 p.m. ET.

7. IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing

Dec 18, 2014, 4:15 PM EST

penske file power montoya 2014

Will Power is a closet breakdancer? Who knew? Find out in the latest edition of The Penske Files.

8. Sauber’s new C34 chassis has passed crash test

Dec 18, 2014, 4:00 PM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Brazil Getty Images

Sauber’s 2015 car is the second to pass crash test.

9. Ganassi’s IndyCar, NASCAR stars set for another Rolex 24

Dec 18, 2014, 3:28 PM EST

PruettCOTAWin Getty Images

No Franchitti in 2015 as CGR announces Rolex 24 lineup.

10. Team Penske’s Simon Pagenaud will head to Super Bowl with Verizon

Dec 18, 2014, 2:30 PM EST

Pagenaud AP

Penske’s newest star to head to NFL’s biggest game.

11. Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age

Dec 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

(Chris Graythen/Getty Images) Getty Images

In less than one year, Chase Elliott went from the driver of a start-up team to the youngest champion in NASCAR history.

12. NASCAR: Top drivers of 2014 – No. 16 Aric Almirola

Dec 18, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

Oral-B USA 500 - Qualifying Getty Images

Almirola broke into the Chase for the Sprint Cup with a rain-shortened win at Daytona in the summer.

13. F1: Hamilton, Alonso engineers on the move

Dec 18, 2014, 12:45 PM EST

Alonso and Hamilton were teammates at McLaren back in 2007 (© Getty Images) Getty Images

The engineer market is busy in F1, as well.

14. NASCAR: Top drivers of 2014 – No. 15 Kasey Kahne

Dec 18, 2014, 12:00 PM EST

(Ethan Miller/Getty Images) Getty Images

Kasey Kahne struggled at times in 2014, but there’s great promise for 2015 with a new contract, new crew chief and an extension from his primary sponsor.

15. CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on

Dec 18, 2014, 11:46 AM EST

MontezemoloBoard AP

Di Montezemolo and Walsh now part of F1’s controlling shareholder Board of Directors.

16. Menards stays on as NASCAR XFINITY sponsor for RCR

Dec 18, 2014, 11:11 AM EST

MenardsNXS Getty Images

Menards stays with RCR’s XFINITY program.

17. Flying Lizards head to PWC with McLaren

Dec 18, 2014, 9:56 AM EST

Photo: McLaren Photo: McLaren

New cars, series for sports car stalwart team.

18. NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour and Southern Modified Tour release expanded 2015 schedules

Dec 17, 2014, 8:47 PM EST

nbc whelen modified tour logo

NASCAR revealed the 2015 schedules for the Whelen Modified Tour and its Southwest Modified Tour, including a first-time visit at the legendary Hickory (NC) Motor Speedway.

Video from NASCAR America