In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Vettel: Pole position not possible today

Jul 26, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Qualifying Getty Images

Defending world champion matches his best qualifying result of the season in Hungary.

2. Alonso: P5 much better than what we expect

Jul 26, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

Hungary F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Ferrari driver delighted to qualify so well at the Hungaroring, and is now focusing on a good start in tomorrow’s race.

3. Sprint Cup final practice underway, running until 11 a.m. ET (UPDATED)

Jul 26, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT

Crown Royal Presents The John Wayne Walding 400 - Practice Getty Images

Track-drying procedures are ongoing but NASCAR is aiming to get cars on the track around 10:15-10:20 a.m. ET for an abbreviated final Sprint Cup practice session.

4. Rosberg nails final Q3 lap to take fifth pole in six races

Jul 26, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Nico Rosberg AP

German driver would have preferred a straight fight with Lewis Hamilton, but delighted all the same to bag pole in Hungary.

5. Rosberg beats rain, red flags and Vettel for Hungary pole

Jul 26, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT

Hungary F1 GP Auto Racing

Crazy qualifying session in Hungary ends with Rosberg at the front once again.

6. VIDEO: Hamilton’s qualifying goes up in flames after engine fire

Jul 26, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Qualifying Getty Images

An engine fire sees Hamilton’s hopes of a first pole since the Spanish Grand Prix go up in flames.

7. WATCH LIVE: Hungarian GP Qualifying; Hamilton seeks first pole since Spain

Jul 26, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT

Hungary F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Can Hamilton secure his first pole position since the Spanish Grand Prix today?

8. Sebastian Vettel “absolutely committed” to Red Bull

Jul 26, 2014, 7:15 AM EDT

Hungary F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Red Bull boss Christian Horner has no doubts about the future of his star driver.

9. F1 teams to follow FIA’s lead for Russian Grand Prix

Jul 26, 2014, 6:30 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Practice Getty Images

Boycott of the race in Sochi this October seems unlikely.

10. Hamilton completes his clean sweep in Hungary FP3

Jul 26, 2014, 6:02 AM EDT

Lewis Hamilton AP

Clean sweep of practices for Hamilton, but Rosberg is still hanging onto his teammate’s coattails.

11. WATCH LIVE: FP3 for the Hungarian Grand Prix

Jul 26, 2014, 4:45 AM EDT

Hungary F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Lewis Hamilton looks to continue his clean sweep of practice in Hungary.

12. Kyle Busch sweeps past John Hunter Nemechek on final turn to win ARCA CRA late-model event

Jul 26, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT

kyle busch nh Getty Images

BROWNSBURG, Ind. – In an exciting finish that featured plenty of beating and banging, Kyle Busch waited until the final turn of the final lap to get by John Hunter Nemechek and win Friday night’s ARCA CRA Super Series Circle City 100 late-model event at Lucas Oil Raceway.

13. IMSA: Action Express dominates Indy; Hawksworth wins on debut

Jul 25, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

AxIMSWin Getty Images

Action Express wins Indy; RSR, Viper and Ferrari the other TUDOR Championship class winners.

14. Red Bull GRC enters heart of stock car country for season’s 5th event

Jul 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

GRCLogo

After Tanner Foust emerged as the victor of a riotous final in New York, the beat goes on for Red Bull GRC this weekend with a trip to The Dirt Track at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

15. NASCAR America: Jimmie Johnson easy pick for Brickyard

Jul 25, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT

2014 brickyard 400 logo

On Friday’s edition, the NASCAR America crew discussed the favorites for Sunday’s Brickyard 400. And not surprisingly, Jimmie Johnson is the easy pick — but there are a few other drivers who could contend.

16. NASCAR America: Jimmie Johnson looking for fifth Brickyard win

Jul 25, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT

AAA 400 - Qualifying Getty Images

On Friday’s edition of NASCAR America, Sam Hornish Jr. joined Leigh Diffey to discuss Jimmie Johnson’s quest for his fifth Brickyard 400 win. Hornish noted that Johnson’s first win at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was a positive turning point for his team.

17. NASCAR America: Clint Bowyer talks keys to winning Chase

Jul 25, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT

(Photo: Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images) Getty Images

On Friday’s NASCAR America, Clint Bowyer talked about handling Indianapolis Motor Speedway, site of Sunday’s 21st annual Brickyard 400, as well as his teams’ improvement and his hopes of getting into and winning the Chase for the Sprint Cup.

18. Juan Pablo Montoya, Will Power go looking for fun, wind up with ‘Sex Tape’

Jul 25, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT

sex tape

After a long day of testing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Penske Racing teammates Juan Pablo Montoya and Will Power went to see a movie Wednesday in Mansfield, Ohio. Check out Montoya’s hilarious tale about what they saw.

19. Kurt Busch: No talks yet on a second Indy-Charlotte double

Jul 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Kurt Busch AP

“Every day I wake up and I’m like, ‘Yes, let’s do it again.’ Then there are thoughts of ‘I finished sixth, that’s pretty special.’ I don’t know if I could achieve that result again.” – Outlaw

20. Brickyard owes Juan Pablo Montoya one, but will it pay off Sunday?

Jul 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

(AP Photo/Darron Cummings) AP

INDIANAPOLIS – Juan Pablo Montoya has twice come close to winning the Brickyard 400, only to suffer maladies that kept him from kissing the finish line bricks at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in celebration.

Today on NASCAR AMERICA