In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Fernando Alonso denies rumors of leaving Ferrari

Sep 2, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Belgium - Practice Getty Images

Alonso to Britain’s Sky Sports: “I want to win here and finish the job that we started some years ago, and we will see what the future [holds]“

2. MRTI: Hargrove (Porsche GT3 Canada) and Burkett (Atlantic) capture other titles

Sep 2, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT

Green, Hargrove, Pigot. Photo: IMSA Green, Hargrove, Pigot. Photo: IMSA

Mazda Road to Indy regulars Scott Hargrove and Daniel Burkett secure titles in Porsche GT3 Canada and Atlantic, respectively.

3. Caterham GP2 team brings in Red Bull Junior Pierre Gasly for rest of 2014

Sep 2, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Photo via @RedBullMotors Photo via @RedBullMotors

Pierre Gasly, a Red Bull Junior, will join Caterham’s GP2 team for the rest of 2014.

4. Your Chase clinch scenarios for Saturday’s regular season finale

Sep 2, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

Irwin Tools Night Race - Practice Getty Images

Ryan Newman is the only Chase hopeful that controls his destiny going into Saturday’s Federated Auto Parts 400.

5. Mikhail Aleshin updates social media for first time since Fontana accident

Sep 2, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT

AleshinSunIMS Getty Images

Mikhail Aleshin updates his social media pages for first time since scary Fontana accident on Friday night.

6. Gene Haas’ F1 team changes team name, launches new pages

Sep 2, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

Gene Haas Formula One Press Conference Getty Images

What was Haas Formula is now Haas F1 Team as part of a new brand rollout.

7. United Fiber & Data announces IndyCar return; capacity, driver TBD

Sep 2, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Photo: INDYCAR Photo: INDYCAR

United Fiber & Data looks set to return to IndyCar for 2015 and the foreseeable future.

8. Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015

Sep 2, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

WillNumber AP

Team Penske president Tim Cindric all but confirms Will Power will run the No. 1 in 2015.

9. MAVTV announces two-year IndyCar extension at Fontana; date TBD

Sep 2, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

MAVTV 500 Getty Images

MAVTV announces IndyCar’s return to Fontana for two more years through 2016, although official confirmation from the sanctioning body and a date remains to be revealed.

10. NASCAR AMERICA: Kahne’s in Chase, but knows he and No. 5 team must improve (VIDEO)

Sep 1, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 Getty Images

Kahne to NBCSN contributor Nate Ryan: “We need to build off of this…As a team, we need to be stronger together.”

11. NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO)

Sep 1, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 Getty Images

NASCAR AMERICA’S Kyle Petty and Parker Kligerman believe that the three-time Sprint Cup champion handled himself well throughout a difficult weekend.

12. F1: Sochi grandstand to be named for Toro Rosso rookie Kvyat

Sep 1, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Qualifying Getty Images

Organizers of the Russian Grand Prix appear to be getting behind their countryman as F1’s first visit to Sochi draws closer.

13. NHRA: Four first-time U.S. Nationals winners crowned in Indianapolis

Sep 1, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT

DeJoriaWin AP

Richie Crampton, Alexis DeJoria, Shane Gray and Eddie Krawiec captured U.S. Nationals wins on Monday.

14. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA recaps how Kahne was able at 5 p.m. ET

Sep 1, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 Getty Images

Coming up today: Highlights from Kasey Kahne’s clutch Atlanta win; assessing Tony Stewart’s comeback; the Chase outlook with one regular season race left; more problems in pits for Kevin Harvick.

15. 2014 TORC champions crowned in Crandon (SPOILER)

Sep 1, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT

TORCLogo

Writer’s Note: The following is a recap of this weekend’s TORC: The Off-Road Championship season finale at Crandon, Wisconsin. NBCSN will air the races this Saturday, Sept. 6, at 3:30 p.m. ET. If you don’t want to know who won until then, we suggest you find another post to read here on MotorSportsTalk…

16. NASCAR: Late-season stumbles put Bowyer, Larson on ropes heading to Richmond

Sep 1, 2014, 3:11 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 - Practice Getty Images

For Clint Bowyer and Kyle Larson, winning on Saturday night will be all that matters if they want a spot in the Chase.

17. Carpenter, SFHR top single-car teams in year before fusion into CFH

Sep 1, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

CarpenterCap Getty Images

Ed Carpenter Racing and Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing end as the top single-car teams in 2014, before merging in 2015.

18. Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power

Sep 1, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 Getty Images

Kasey Kahne saves his season in Atlanta, while Will Power changes his career in Fontana.

19. Carlos Munoz Sunoco Rookie of the Year in a deep IndyCar freshman class

Sep 1, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

MunozROY Getty Images

Carlos Munoz takes home the top rookie honors after a successful first full season in the Verizon IndyCar Series.

20. Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes

Sep 1, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT

Remember the Honda MP4-4 that won five consecutive Formula 1 championships from 1987-1991? Here's one of the cars the late Ayrton Senna drove to one of three Honda-powered titles. AP

Honda’s motorsport chief provides an update on the company’s F1 engine progress.

Video from NASCAR America

Tony Stewart does well in return
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches