In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Manor thrilled as Roberto Merhi finishes Malaysian GP

Mar 29, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Malaysia - Practice Getty Images

Simply finishing the race must go down as an incredible achievement for Manor.

2. Confusion and strategy error costs Hamilton shot at race win (VIDEO)

Mar 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Hamilton 293d Getty Images

Did a mistake in Q1 on Saturday cost Lewis Hamilton a chance to win the Malaysian Grand Prix?

3. Verstappen becomes youngest points scorer in F1 history

Mar 29, 2015, 7:15 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Malaysia Getty Images

Breaking the record by over two years, Max Verstappen cemented his place in the F1 history books in Malaysia on Sunday.

4. Arrivabene: Ferrari is back, but must keep focused (VIDEO)

Mar 29, 2015, 6:30 AM EDT

Sebastian Vettel AP

Ferrari team principal oversees his first victory since taking the helm at Maranello.

5. Rosberg tells Ferrari “game on!” after Vettel’s Malaysia win (VIDEO)

Mar 29, 2015, 5:56 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Malaysia Getty Images

German driver didn’t expect his challenge to Ferrari in Australia to be taken up so quickly.

6. Hamilton: Ferrari simply too fast for Mercedes in Malaysia

Mar 29, 2015, 5:36 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-MAS-F1 Getty Images

British driver humble in defeat after losing out to Vettel and Ferrari in Malaysia.

7. Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari

Mar 29, 2015, 5:19 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-MAS-F1-PODIUM Getty Images

German driver claims a superb win in Malaysia in just his second race for Ferrari.

8. Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake

Mar 29, 2015, 4:46 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-MAS-F1 Getty Images

Ferrari claims its first win since the 2013 Spanish Grand Prix as Vettel perfects his strategy to win at Sepang.

9. Will Stevens unable to start Malaysian Grand Prix

Mar 29, 2015, 2:34 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Malaysia - Practice Getty Images

Fuel system problem sidelines the Briton on Sunday for Manor.

10. WATCH LIVE: Malaysian GP live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 2:30a ET

Mar 29, 2015, 2:15 AM EDT

Malaysia 293 Getty Images

Join us on NBCSN and Live Extra for all of the action from Malaysia as Lewis Hamilton goes in search of another race win.

11. Starting grid for the 2015 Malaysian Grand Prix

Mar 29, 2015, 2:00 AM EDT

Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel, Nico Rosberg AP

Lewis Hamilton will lead the grid away at Sepang on Sunday.

12. NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations

Mar 28, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT

Courtney Force qualified No. 1 Saturday at the 4-Wide Nationals. (Harold Hinson Photo) Courtney Force qualified No. 1 Saturday at the 4-Wide Nationals. (Harold Hinson Photo)

It was a double dose of Force in Saturday’s final rounds of qualifying for the sixth-annual NHRA 4-Wide Nationals at zMAX Dragway in Concord, N.C.

13. St. Petersburg notes: PWC, MRTI triple-dips heading into Sunday

Mar 28, 2015, 7:46 PM EDT

Photo: Pro Mazda Photo: Pro Mazda

Roundup of the rest of Saturday’s action from St. Petersburg.

14. Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT

MexicoOTGteaser Getty Images

NBC Sports Group’s “Off the Grid” digital series hits Mexico City, set to premiere on March 31.

15. De Silvestro 11th in her first IndyCar qualifying in more than a year

Mar 28, 2015, 7:11 PM EDT

SimAndrettiQuals AP

Simona de Silvestro happy to be somewhat disappointed with 11th in IndyCar qualifying at St. Petersburg.

16. Sato saves Honda’s day with another St. Pete Fast Six appearance

Mar 28, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT

TSstpquals AP

Takuma Sato puts together a successful qualifying effort for A.J. Foyt Enterprises, ending in fifth and best Honda.

17. Penske’s quartet pushes each other en route to qualifying dominance

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

PenskeTop4Quals AP

After top-four qualifying sweep, the Team Penske teammates are praising each other rather than trading shots.

18. Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying

Mar 28, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT

PowerSTPpole AP

Power on pole as Team Penske goes 1-2-3-4 in St. Petersburg qualifying.

19. Indy Lights: Carlin’s Ed Jones on top in opening race at St. Pete

Mar 28, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT

Photo: Indy Lights Photo: Indy Lights

Indy Lights’ new era kicks off at St. Petersburg with a new driver and team on top in the series’ new car.

20. Power on top as Penske 1-2-3 in second straight St. Pete practice

Mar 28, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT

WPstpP3 AP

More Will Power on top of IndyCar practice at St. Petersburg.