In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EST

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega

Nov 27, 2014, 5:57 PM EST

Theresa Benn (Photo courtesy Lincoln, Ala. Police Department) Theresa Benn (Photo courtesy Lincoln, Ala. Police Department)

Police continue to investigate the cause of death of Theresa Benn, who had been missing more than a month before her body was found last week near Talladega Superspeedway.

2. MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy

Nov 27, 2014, 3:23 PM EST

(Photo courtesy Anthony Marlowe/Twitter) (Photo courtesy Anthony Marlowe/Twitter)

BK Racing minority owner Anthony Marlowe offers a public apology to MotorSportsTalk on his inadvertent tweet of Cole Whitt replacing David Ragan in the No. 34 car for 2015.

3. Give thanks: NASCAR announcer Steve Byrnes shows ‘progress’ in cancer battle

Nov 27, 2014, 2:16 PM EST

Steve Byrnes Steve Byrnes

Steve Byrnes of Fox Sports gave friends and family a promising Thanksgiving update about his battle with Stage 4 head-and-neck cancer.

4. Hulkenberg confirmed for Porsche LMP1 at Spa and Le Mans

Nov 27, 2014, 10:45 AM EST

Canadian F1 Grand Prix - Previews Getty Images

Hulkenberg gets an LMP1 opportunity with Porsche at Spa and Le Mans next season.

5. What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014

Nov 27, 2014, 9:00 AM EST

Irwin Tools Night Race Getty Images

What we’re thankful across the wide spectrum of motorsports in 2014.

6. Spend Black Friday doing a few laps on Charlotte Motor Speedway

Nov 26, 2014, 11:01 PM EST

(AP Photo/Terry Renna) AP

If you’re in the Charlotte area and want to have a great Black Friday experience, head on over to Charlotte Motor Speedway, where for a donation, you can drive on the actual racetrack.

7. Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports

Nov 26, 2014, 8:56 PM EST

(AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall) AP

Sam Hornish Jr. has a lot to give thanks for this Thanksgiving, most notably a new ride and a new lease on his Sprint Cup driving life with Richard Petty Motorsports.

8. NBCSN presents 14-hour ‘MECUM MARATHON’ on Thanksgiving Day

Nov 26, 2014, 4:40 PM EST

mecum dealmakers

NBCSN will present a 14-hour ‘Mecum Marathon’ starting Thursday, Thanksgiving Day.

9. Simon Pagenaud’s Ayrton Senna tribute helmet to be auctioned off

Nov 26, 2014, 2:30 PM EST

98th Indianapolis 500 Mile Race Getty Images

Simon Pagenaud’s Indy 500 Senna tribute helmet to be auctioned for Ayrton Senna Foundation.

10. Report of Cole Whitt in for David Ragan at Front Row Motorsports ‘not true’

Nov 26, 2014, 2:29 PM EST

David Ragan (Todd Warshaw/Getty Images) Getty Images

Front Row Motorsports officials on Wednesday denied rumors of Cole Whitt replacing David Ragan in the No. 34 Ford for 2015.

11. F1 notes and quotes: Abu Dhabi Test Day 2

Nov 26, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

ADwrap Getty Images

A rundown through the field after the final day of on-track running for F1 2014.

12. Several NASCAR AMERICA specials to run over next month

Nov 26, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

nascar america

Some NASCAR AMERICA specials are on tap before the end of the year.

13. “Dream come true” for Italian Raffaele Marciello in Ferrari test

Nov 26, 2014, 12:00 PM EST

MarcielloAD1 Getty Images

Marciello gracious for opportunity, and was thinking of Jules Bianchi throughout the day.

14. A.J. Foyt still hospitalized but recovering after triple bypass

Nov 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EST

Foyt112614 AP

A.J. Foyt with post-operative complication, but resolved.

15. Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014

Nov 26, 2014, 11:13 AM EST

WehrleinAD1 Getty Images

New Mercedes driver, same place on the charts to close out 2014 F1 season.

16. Life after Red Bull now beckons for JEV, where a new world awaits

Nov 26, 2014, 10:31 AM EST

Vergne 17-11 AP

What’s next for Jean-Eric Vergne? An analysis of his time in F1, and where to from here.

17. Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit

Nov 26, 2014, 9:28 AM EST

Canadian F1 Grand Prix - Practice Getty Images

JEV out, and likely another rookie in at Toro Rosso for 2015.

18. NASCAR: Reddit users provide snapshot of fan reaction to this year’s Chase

Nov 25, 2014, 8:07 PM EST

O'Reilly Auto Parts Challenge Getty Images

A post-season exit survey provides some very interesting fan data on NASCAR’s latest version of its post-season format.

19. Steve Letarte: Greg Ives’ familiarity with Hendrick will help Dale Jr., 88 team prosper (VIDEO)

Nov 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EST

Iowa Speedway - Day 1 Getty Images

The outgoing crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr. also talks about his successor needing to make his own mark.

Video from NASCAR America