In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Ever wonder what Dale Jr., Danica, and others would look like as Boris Said?

Sep 18, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT

(Image courtesy FoxSports.com's Shake and Bake) (Image courtesy FoxSports.com's Shake and Bake)

While Boris Said was getting ready for this weekend’s IMSA Tudor Championship event at Circuit of the America’s in Austin, Texas, it’s noteworthy to mention that Thursday was his 52nd birthday.

2. Michael Waltrip challenges Dale Jr. to go Dancing With The Stars

Sep 18, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT

(Courtesy Dancing With The Stars) (Courtesy Dancing With The Stars)

Michael Waltrip took a big step when he agreed to compete on Season 19 of “Dancing With the Stars.” Now, Waltrip has gone and put his foot in his mouth by trying to kick Dale Earnhardt Jr. in the behind, so to speak.

3. Phoenix track bringing in more muscle for Chase race: UFC legend Chuck Liddell

Sep 18, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT

Chuck Liddell (Photo courtesy UFC) Chuck Liddell (Photo courtesy UFC)

Given how important – and potentially how wild – the ninth and next-to-last race of the Chase for the Sprint Cup will be, Phoenix International Raceway is calling in some extra muscle for drivers who may potentially get out of hand.

4. Report: NASCAR’s top 9 richest teams worth a collective $1.25 billion

Sep 18, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT

(Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images) Getty Images

Owning a NASCAR team is like being a contestant on Wheel of Fortune, they both answer to “Big money, big money.”

5. NASCAR America video: How New England is helping NASCAR grow

Sep 18, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT

nhms logo 2014

New Hampshire is one of four New England states to host a NASCAR event and is huge to the racing community in the area. Having four tracks that far North allowed the sport to grow from its southern roots.

6. NASCAR America video: Roush Fenway Racing not competing up to team standards in Chase?

Sep 18, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT

((AP Photo/The Charlotte Observer, Jeff Siner) AP

On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR America, analysts Parker Kligerman and Frank Stoddard are split when it comes to the Roush Fenway Racing team. Looking to the Chase, Frank predicts a top 10 finish for Greg Biffle or Carl Edwards, but Parker is less confident.

7. NASCAR America video: What Chase driver outside the top 12 can still advance?

Sep 18, 2014, 6:12 PM EDT

(Photo: Sean Gardner/Getty Images) Getty Images

On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR America, analysts Frank Stoddard and Parker Kligerman both agreed that Ryan Newman is the driver just below the cutoff line with the best chance of moving on in the Chase.

8. Report: Why Mark Martin wasn’t able to serve as driving coach for Danica Patrick this season

Sep 18, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT

(Photo: Robert Laberge/Getty Images) Getty Images

NASCAR legend Mark Martin was slated to be a driving coach for Danica Patrick in 2014. Now, in an interview with NASCAR Illustrated, we learn what happened.

9. Flagman struck, killed by race truck at Florida short track

Sep 18, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT

(Image courtesy Bronson Speedway) (Image courtesy Bronson Speedway)

A flagman officiating a race at Bronson Speedway in Archer, Fla., was killed in a racing accident at the track this past Sunday.

10. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR America at 5 pm ET — Harvick, Biffle, Edwards, New Hampshire racing history

Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT

140918-NASCAR-AMERICA

Today’s NASCAR America includes two teams in different directions as we prepare for the second race of the Chase for the Sprint Cup. Things are looking up for Kevin Harvick’s team, while there’s concern that Carl Edwards and Greg Biffle may not get past the first round of eliminations.

11. NASCAR legend Mark Martin to serve as grand marshal for unique St. Patrick’s Day parade

Sep 18, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT

(Photo: Todd Warshaw/Getty Images) Getty Images

Mark Martin has received numerous honors in his racing career, but this one could be one of the most unique that will ever be bestowed upon him. Martin will return to his native Arkansas next March to serve as grand marshal for the “2015 World’s Shortest St. Patrick’s Day Parade.”

12. IndyCar: Brasilia, Brazil race confirmed for March 8, 2015

Sep 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Sao Paulo Indy 300 - Day 3 Getty Images

IndyCar confirms return to Brazil as first 2015 international race.

13. Jeff Gordon to set significant milestone Sunday at New Hampshire

Sep 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

jeff gordon 2014 atlanta1 Getty Images

Jeff Gordon will set a significant milestone in this Sunday’s second race of the Chase for the Sprint Cup at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.

14. 8Star closing on Indy Lights confirmation with Sean Rayhall as one driver

Sep 18, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT

Photo: Getty Images Getty Images

8Star Motorsports’ intentions of joining the Indy Lights grid for 2015 are close to becoming a reality.

15. Ecclestone: Drivers wanted radio ban

Sep 18, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Germany Getty Images

FIA could be forced to backtrack on plans for this weekend, though.

16. F1’s Modern Wonder: Under the lights, Singapore shines brightly

Sep 18, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Singapore - Previews Getty Images

F1 is renowned for being exuberant and exotic. No event screams it more than the Singapore Grand Prix.

17. Sochi Autodrom gears up for Russian GP in three weeks’ time (VIDEO)

Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Sochi Olympics AP

Everything is in place for the first Russian Grand Prix in 100 years to take place on October 12th.

18. 12 MAXSpeed/Rotax finalists named for USF2000 test

Sep 18, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

MazdaRoadToIndy

Twelve finalists named in USF2000 seat shootout.

19. Massa not giving up on runner-up spot in constructors’ championship

Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Italy F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Massa believes that Williams should be aiming to beat Red Bull despite trailing by almost 100 points in the constructors’ championship.

20. Red Bull GRC: Andretti Autosport premieres Beetle in LA

Sep 18, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT

Photo: Andretti Autosport Photo: Andretti Autosport

The Volkswagen Beetle makes its debut at the LA doubleheader round this weekend.

Video from NASCAR America