In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win

Aug 3, 2015, 12:24 AM EDT

(Photo courtesy NHRA) (Photo courtesy NHRA)

NHRA Funny Car driver “Fast Jack” Beckman may want to consider changing his nickname to “Faster Jack” because it doesn’t appear he’ll be slowing down anytime soon.

2. After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore

Aug 2, 2015, 9:47 PM EDT

Graham Rahal Graham Rahal

Sunday’s win fulfilled a lifelong dream for Ohio-native Graham Rahal.

3. Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings

Aug 2, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT

Juan Pablo Montoya Juan Pablo Montoya

Montoyas 42-point lead over Rahal all but disappears in one race.

4. Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock

Aug 2, 2015, 5:56 PM EDT

Photo: INDYCAR Photo: INDYCAR

Sage Karam in the crosshairs again after controversial Lap 66 spin at Mid-Ohio.

5. Justin Wilson finishes second at Mid-Ohio, best result in two years

Aug 2, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT

Photo: INDYCAR Photo: INDYCAR

Wilson earns first podium finish since Houston in 2013.

6. Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio

Aug 2, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT

© INDYCAR © INDYCAR

Quick thinking from Rahal’s strategists allows the Ohio native to storm to his second win of the 2015 season and slice the gap to Montoya in the championship race.

7. Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio

Aug 2, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT

Castroneves

Castroneves led at halfway due to off-setting pit strategy.

8. Lynn hopes GP2 win has put him in running for F1 seat

Aug 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT

© GP2 Series © GP2 Series

Alex Lynn has made an impression during his rookie GP2 season, but can he make the step up to F1 in 2016?

9. Dennis frustrated by lack of in-season testing in F1

Aug 2, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT

MONTREAL, QC - JUNE 06:  Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of McLaren Group Ron Dennis is seen during qualifying for the Canadian Formula One Grand Prix at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve on June 6, 2015 in Montreal, Canada.  (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images) Getty Images

McLaren’s CEO feels the reasons behind limiting in-season testing offer a “false economy”.

10. WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy 200 at 1:30 p.m. ET on CNBC, Live Extra

Aug 2, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

Ryan Hunter-Reay AP

Watch live from Mid-Ohio ahead of the 14th round of the Verizon IndyCar Series season.

11. WRC: Latvala claims record-breaking win at Rally Finland

Aug 2, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Finnish Volkswagen Polo R WRC driver Jari-Matti Latvala and co-pilot Miikka Anttila drive during the Ouninpohja special stage of the  2015 FIA World Rally Championship WRC Rally Finland in Jyvaeskylae, Finland on July 31, 2015.  AFP PHOTO / LEHTIKUVA / Vesa Moilanen +++ FINLAND OUT        (Photo credit should read VESA MOILANEN/AFP/Getty Images) Getty Images

Latvala wins on home soil for the second time in the WRC with a record-breaking display.

12. What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra)

Aug 2, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio - Day 3 Getty Images

What to watch for ahead of Round 14 of the Verizon IndyCar Series season, the Honda Indy 200 from the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

13. Hunter-Reay fastest in final Mid-Ohio warm up despite spinning out

Aug 2, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT

© INDYCAR © INDYCAR

Hunter-Reay finishes on top ahead of Helio Castroneves and Jack Hawksworth despite crashing his car.

14. Reports: Monza closing in on new F1 contract

Aug 2, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT

MONZA, ITALY - SEPTEMBER 07:  Fan leave the circuit following the F1 Grand Prix of Italy at Autodromo di Monza on September 7, 2014 in Monza, Italy.  (Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images) Getty Images

The Italian Grand Prix looks set to remain at Monza beyond 2016 thanks to a tax-free investment from the Italian government.

15. MRTI, PWC at Mid-Ohio: Several different winners emerge

Aug 1, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT

Photo: @ Indianapolis Motor Speedway, LLC Photography Photo: @ Indianapolis Motor Speedway, LLC Photography

Mazda Road to Indy and Pirelli World Challenge race updates from Mid-Ohio as they happen on one of the busiest road racing days of the year.

16. Wehrlein takes lead of DTM championship in Austria

Aug 1, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

HOCKENHEIM, GERMANY - MAY 03:  Pascal Wehrlein of Germany and Mercedes HWA looks on prior to the second race of the DTM 2015 German Touring Car Championship at Hockenheimring on May 3, 2015 in Hockenheim, Germany.  (Photo by Alex Grimm/Bongarts/Getty Images) Getty Images

Mercedes F1 reserve driver finishes second at the Red Bull Ring to move into the lead of the DTM championship.

17. Cole Custer sails to first career ARCA win at Pocono, 9th first-time winner in series in 2015

Aug 1, 2015, 4:46 PM EDT

cole custer Getty Images

In his third career start in the ARCA Racing Series, Cole Custer breezed to victory in Saturday’s ModSpace 125 at Pocono Raceway.

18. Dixon crushes lap record to score pole in Mid-Ohio (VIDEO)

Aug 1, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT

© INDYCAR © INDYCAR

Dixon blisters previous mark for the track record at Mid-Ohio.