In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Here to stay: Keselowski vows that he won’t be run out of the sport

Oct 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

Geico 500 Getty Images

The championship contender talks about his reputation during a Monday night appearance at Texas Motor Speedway.

2. NASCAR AMERICA: Pressure mounts with four races to go in Chase (VIDEO)

Oct 21, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

(Streeter Lecka/Getty Images) Getty Images

As NASCAR AMERICA’s Kyle Petty explains, the new Chase format has created something that NASCAR hasn’t seen before.

3. NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO)

Oct 21, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

GEICO 500 - Practice Getty Images

A ninth Martinsville win on Sunday would put Gordon into the Championship Race at Homestead. Check out his interview with NASCAR AMERICA’s Jason Weigandt about his success at M’Ville and more.

4. Joey Logano says he’s made peace with Danica Patrick over Charlotte wreck

Oct 21, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT

GEICO 500 - Qualifying Getty Images

Logano admits he should’ve given Patrick more space on the race track two weekends ago.

5. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA talks with “Eliminator 8″ at 5 p.m. ET

Oct 21, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT

Credit: NASCAR Credit: NASCAR

Extended interviews with Kevin Harvick, Jeff Gordon, Brad Keselowski, and Carl Edwards also coming up on today’s episode of NASCAR AMERICA.

6. Company that builds Caterham’s F1 cars put into administration

Oct 21, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Great Britain - Practice Getty Images

A source tells Reuters that the legal action is not expected to impact the racing activities of the team, which is owned by a separate entity.

7. Martinsville is first chance for Chase’s “lesser names” to punch ticket to Homestead

Oct 21, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT

GEICO 500 - Practice Getty Images

Denny Hamlin, Ryan Newman, Matt Kenseth, and Carl Edwards can launch themselves into the Championship at Homestead with a win this weekend.

8. Kyle Fowler to make Sprint Cup debut this weekend with GO FAS Racing

Oct 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

32carMville Getty Images

Kyle Fowler joins the Sprint Cup grid at Martinsville.

9. NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction

Oct 21, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT

(Photo: Sean Gardner/Getty Images) Getty Images

NASCAR says damage sustained during Sunday’s GEICO 500 was the cause of his car being too low in post-race inspection.

10. Flurry of orders placed for new 2015 Indy Lights car

Oct 21, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT

IndyLightsLogo

The Indy Lights grid is beginning to take shape for 2015.

11. Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash

Oct 21, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT

TotalCEO AP

Total’s CEO dies in plane crash; this could have motorsports impact.

12. Five up-and-coming drivers participate in Porsche Academy

Oct 21, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

Urry, Skeer, Thompson, Cindric, Hargrove. Photo: IMSA Urry, Skeer, Thompson, Cindric, Hargrove. Photo: IMSA

Porsche provides five young drivers shot to learn and further integrate themselves with the brand.

13. Cool story: Blind 16-year-old gets to drive, once, and live his dream (VIDEO)

Oct 21, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Screen-Shot-2014-10-21-at-8.56

A blind 16-year-old gets to live his dream and have a brief chance behind the wheel.

14. Kurt Busch, Susie Wolff added to Race of Champions field

Oct 21, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

BuschSusie Getty Images

Kurt Busch, Susie Wolff join Race of Champions lineup.

15. Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA

Oct 21, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

GERMANY-AUTOMOBILE-ECONOMY-FAIR-IAA Getty Images

Andretti Sports Marketing explains some of the tricks to the trade in promoting new race events, with Miami and NOLA set for 2015.

16. “What’Cha Got” Episode 1: Chandler Hoffman sets the bar (VIDEO)

Oct 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

HoffmanLAWCG Getty Images

LA Galaxy’s Chandler Hoffman first up in “What’Cha Got” presented by Continental Tire show to drive a Lamborghini.

17. NASCAR AMERICA: Parity among Chase teams in Eliminator Round (VIDEO)

Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Geico 500 Getty Images

Six different teams are represented among the eight remaining Chasers, and NASCAR’s post-season is starting to resemble another familiar tournament. NASCAR AMERICA’s Kyle Petty and Jeff Burton discuss.

18. NASCAR AMERICA: Is Ryan Newman’s Chase status up in the air? (VIDEO)

Oct 20, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT

Hollywood Casino 400 - Practice Getty Images

Newman, one of the “Eliminator 8,” may be penalized tomorrow by NASCAR after his car was found to be too low following Sunday’s race at Talladega. Nate Ryan has more on the situation.

19. Everything you need to know about the 2014 Chasers at Martinsville

Oct 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT

Goody's Headache Relief Shot 500 Powered By Kroger Getty Images

Notes and numbers to keep in mind as the 8 remaining Chasers prepare to begin the Eliminator Round.

20. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega

Oct 20, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT

nascar america

Recapping Talladega on NASCAR AMERICA.

Video from NASCAR America