In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Red Bull GRC: Nelson Piquet Jr. goes wakeboarding (VIDEO)

Jul 30, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

PiquetWakeboard

Nelson Piquet Jr. shows Kristen Kenney how to wakeboard, on the day after Piquet bagged a podium finish in Red Bull Global Rallycross at Charlotte.

2. WATCH LIVE: Denny Hamlin reacts to Indy penalties on NASCAR AMERICA

Jul 30, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

NASCAR America

Coming up today: Full coverage of Brickyard penalties against Joe Gibbs Racing, including reaction from driver Denny Hamlin; interview with Eldora Truck Series winner Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr.

3. How will Greg Ives handle the spotlight as Dale Jr.’s crew chief?

Jul 30, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

History 300 - Practice Getty Images

Next year, Ives will have deal with an amount of fan and media attention that dwarfs anything he’s ever encountered in the sport.

4. IndyCar: Mid-Ohio Livery Notes

Jul 30, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT

JPMHawk Getty Images

The livery notes going into this weekend’s Honda Indy 200 at Toronto.

5. Greg Ives to become crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr. next season

Jul 30, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT

GregIvesCrop Getty Images

Ives currently serves as crew chief for Nationwide Series points leader Chase Elliott and also worked as a race engineer for Jimmie Johnson during his run of five Sprint Cup titles from 2006-2010.

6. Gordon’s crew chief: 24 team more confident after Brickyard win

Jul 30, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT

Sprint All-Star Race - Practice Getty Images

In addition to talking about the meaning of Sunday’s win at Indy, Alan Gustafson touches on the penalties against fellow crew chief Darian Grubb and Joe Gibbs Racing.

7. Columbus Blue Jackets’ James Wisniewski, Jared Boll named Mid-Ohio grand marshals

Jul 30, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

BlueJacketsGMs Getty Images

Pair of Blue Jackets players to give the command for Honda Indy 200 this weekend.

8. Better mindset, form for Briscoe, CGR heading into final month of 2014

Jul 30, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Briscoe072914 Getty Images

Perhaps you haven’t noticed the uptick in form of Ryan Briscoe and the NTT Data Chip Ganassi Racing team over the last couple months. Here’s a recap…

9. MRTI: Jam-packed weekend for all three ladder series on tap at Mid-Ohio

Jul 30, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

MazdaRoadToIndy

Seven races on tap for Indy Lights (2), Pro Mazda (2) and USF2000 (3) in critical Mid-Ohio weekend.

10. Ten with Townsend: Toronto debrief

Jul 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

TorontoLeadPts Getty Images

Insights and observations from NBCSN’s Townsend Bell after the pair of Toronto races, heading into Mid-Ohio.

11. NASCAR AMERICA: Tuesday Round-Up (VIDEO)

Jul 29, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

NASCAR America

The impact of the Jeff Gordon Era; a family affair at Indy for the Dillons; thoughts on the Homestead tire test in August.

12. JGR’s Brickyard penalties in line with similar ’08 penalty for Edwards, Roush

Jul 29, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT

Denny Hamlin AP

Carl Edwards, Jack Roush and crew chief Bob Osborne were severely penalized for a missing oil tank container lid after Edwards’ win at Las Vegas six years ago.

13. Denny Hamlin’s team hit with big penalties after Brickyard infraction

Jul 29, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT

Pocono 400 - Practice Getty Images

No. 11 crew chief Darian Grubb suspended for six races, fined $125,000; No. 11 car chief Wesley Sherrill suspended for six races; Denny Hamlin loses 75 championship points, but still in position to make the Chase.

14. High 5: Chip Ganassi Racing’s win streak at Mid-Ohio (VIDEO)

Jul 29, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

Honda Indy 200 Getty Images

A look back at Ganassi’s half-decade of dominance at the old-school road course in the Ohio countryside.

15. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET

Jul 29, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

NASCAR America

Coming up today: The Top 5 wins of Jeff Gordon’s career; “Scan All 43″ for the Brickyard 400; reaction to Ty Dillon’s Nationwide win at Indianapolis.

16. NASCAR AMERICA Minute: Where is Jeff Gordon among NASCAR’s greats? (VIDEO)

Jul 29, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Crown Royal Presents The John Wayne Walding 400 Getty Images

Richard Petty and David Pearson were joined on Sunday by Jeff Gordon as the only Sprint Cup drivers to win at least 90 races at NASCAR’s top level.

17. Susan G. Komen honors Pippa Mann as its rookie-of-the-year; Mann also auctions helmet

Jul 29, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

PippaKomenAward

Between a few days in Texas and auctioning off her race worn Indianapolis 500 helmet, it’s been a busy couple of weeks for Pippa Mann and the Susan G. Komen organization.

18. Chase-eligible teams – but not drivers – allowed at Homestead tire test

Jul 29, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT

Advocare 500 - Practice Getty Images

Chase-eligible teams will have to send a driver not qualified for the post-season to an Aug. 26 tire test at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

19. IndyCar flashback: Looking at telemetry from Robby Gordon at Mid-Ohio, 1994 (VIDEO)

Jul 29, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

RobbyDakar AP

IndyCar heads to Mid-Ohio this week. Here’s how telemetry readings from the track looked 20 years ago.

20. Caterham, ex-employees to pursue legal action against each other

Jul 29, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Qualifying Getty Images

After a group of laid-off employees from Caterham announced their intent to pursue legal action against the team’s new owners, Caterham has said they’ll push for a lawsuit against the ex-employees over “gross misrepresentation of the facts.”

Today on NASCAR AMERICA