In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. WATCH LIVE: Malaysian GP qualifying at 5a ET on NBCSN and Live Extra

Mar 28, 2015, 4:45 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Malaysia - Practice Getty Images

Could a thunderstorm rain on Mercedes parade? Join us for qualifying from 5a ET today.

2. Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest

Mar 28, 2015, 3:06 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-MAS-F1 Getty Images

German driver edges out Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton in final practice at Sepang.

3. WATCH LIVE: Malaysian GP FP3 at 2a ET on Live Extra

Mar 28, 2015, 1:30 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-MAS-F1 Getty Images

FP3 for the Malaysian Grand Prix rolls off at 2 a.m. ET on NBC Sports Live Extra.

4. NHRA: Rain washes out Friday’s first two rounds of qualifying four 4-Wide Nationals

Mar 27, 2015, 7:08 PM EDT

nhra four-wide nationals

Rain washed out Friday’s first two rounds of qualifying for this weekend’s 6th annual NHRA Four-Wide Nationals at zMAX Dragway in Concord, N.C.

5. IndyCar: St. Pete practice two scrubbed due to rain, and other notes

Mar 27, 2015, 6:03 PM EDT

IndyCar Testing Getty Images

No IndyCar second practice, and other notes from St. Petersburg.

6. Pro Mazda: Michael Johnson hospitalized after practice accident

Mar 27, 2015, 5:50 PM EDT

Photo: Pro Mazda Photo: Pro Mazda

Michael Johnson in ICU after practice accident at St. Petersburg.

7. The Equalization Conundrum: Should F1 put sport to one side in favor of ‘the show’?

Mar 27, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-MAS-F1 Getty Images

Are Red Bull’s recent quibbles about Mercedes’ dominance well-reasoned, or is it simply a case of sour grapes?

8. Marciello enjoys confident first outing for Sauber

Mar 27, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT

Raffaele Marciello AP

Marciello becomes the first Italian driver in four years to take part in an F1 weekend session.

9. Palmer to take part in Chinese Grand Prix practice

Mar 27, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Jolyon Palmer AP

2014 GP2 champion will take part in his first F1 grand prix weekend session in Shanghai.

10. Power leads Penske 1-2-3 in IndyCar’s first practice at St. Petersburg (VIDEO)

Mar 27, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT

Photo: INDYCAR Photo: INDYCAR

Will Power leads IndyCar’s opening practice session of 2015.

11. Tost excited by prospect of Renault buying Toro Rosso

Mar 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Malaysia - Practice Getty Images

However, Renault could pull out of F1 altogether in the near future should it decide that its involvement is no longer viable.

12. Vettel unsure where Ferrari stands compared to Mercedes

Mar 27, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Sebastian Vettel AP

Hot conditions make for difficult running during practice on Friday.

13. Practice setbacks leave Hamilton “quite a bit off” in Malaysia (VIDEO)

Mar 27, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT

Malaysia F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Defending world champion sidelined by engine issues in FP1 on Friday.

14. Alonso enjoys F1 return, but admits he is not 100% fit yet

Mar 27, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-MAS-F1 Getty Images

Spaniard completes 45 laps in Friday practice as he gets back behind the wheel of an F1 car for the first time in a month.

15. Verizon IndyCar Series 2015 preseason content roundup

Mar 27, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT

Indypreseasonroundup AP

Roundup of all the Verizon IndyCar Series preseason posts for the 2015 season, heading into this weekend’s Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.

16. Speed, Duval back for Long Beach Formula E race

Mar 27, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT

SpeedP2Miami AP

Scott Speed, Loic Duval set for further Formula E starts in Long Beach.

17. Manor makes breakthrough with first 2015 on-track running in Malaysia

Mar 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Manor 273 Getty Images

Team should qualify for Sunday’s Malaysian Grand Prix, thus completing its comeback.

18. Hamilton prevented from using special Malaysian GP helmet

Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-AUS-F1 Getty Images

British driver planned to use a blue helmet to pay homage to Mercedes title sponsor Petronas in Malaysia.