In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Rain postpones Bristol Trucks race to Thursday morning

Aug 20, 2014, 10:11 PM EDT

bristol rain Getty Images

Wednesday’s UNOH 200 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Bristol Motor Speedway has been postponed due to heavy rain and lightning. The race has been rescheduled to 10 am ET on Thursday morning, weather permitting.

2. Start of Trucks race at Bristol under rain delay

Aug 20, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT

Bristol motor speedway logo

Heavy rain showers coupled with occasional lightning are delaying Wednesday’s UNOH 200 at Bristol Motor Speedway.

3. NASCAR America video: Jimmie Johnson needs to turn things around

Aug 20, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

Camping World RV Sales 301 - Practice Getty Images

On Wednesday’s edition of NASCAR America, we looked at the struggles Jimmie Johnson and his team have had over much of the last six weeks.

4. NASCAR America video: Jeff Burton to replace Tony Stewart at Bristol

Aug 20, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT

Burton Michigan 2 2014 AP

On Wednesday’s edition of NASCAR America, in the continuing absence of Tony Stewart this weekend at Bristol, it was announced that Jeff Burton will drive in his place for the second week in a row.

5. Kyle Busch earns pole for tonight’s Trucks race at Bristol

Aug 20, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT

kyle busch truck ky Getty Images

Kyle Busch (who else) earned the No. 1 qualifying position Wednesday afternoon for this evening’s UNOH 200 at Bristol Motor Speedway.

6. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 6:30 p.m. ET — Stewart won’t race at Bristol, talk with Jeff Burton, JJ and Harvick

Aug 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT

140820-nascar-america

We have a huge show for today’s edition of NASCAR America, including the latest on Tony Stewart not racing at Bristol, Jeff Burton back in the No. 14 to replace Stewart, Kevin Harvick’s GoKart race, Jimmie Johnson’s recent struggles. And those are just for starters. Make sure you tune in.

7. It’s official: Tony Stewart to miss Bristol race, Jeff Burton to once again drive No. 14

Aug 20, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT

Jeff Burton AP

Tony Stewart will miss this weekend’s Sprint Cup race at Bristol Motor Speedway, the third consecutive race Stewart has skipped in the aftermath of the tragic racing incident with sprint car driver Kevin Ward Jr. nearly two weeks ago.

8. When — or will — Tony Stewart ever race again?

Aug 20, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT

tony stewart watkins glen 2014 a Getty Images

Amidst news that a grassroots campaign is building support for Tony Stewart, including plans to stand up and cheer during Lap 14 (Stewart’s race car number) of Saturday night’s race at Bristol, one question still remains: When will Stewart race again

9. STP to once again grace legendary No. 43 RPM machine

Aug 20, 2014, 2:53 PM EDT

(Photo: Chris Graythen/Getty Images) Getty Images

The famed STP logo will once again grace the legendary No. 43 of Richard Petty Motorsports in Saturday night’s race at Bristol Motor Speedway.

10. Kyle Busch seeks trifecta in Bristol tripleheader

Aug 20, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT

(AP Photo/Terry Renna) AP

Kyle Busch will attempt to win all three NASCAR races at Bristol Motor Speedway this weekend.

11. IndyCar: Penske looks for fifth straight Sonoma win this weekend

Aug 20, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

Sonoma Pack - IndyCar AP

Will Power and Team Penske have been dominant over the last several years at Sonoma, and if they are again, the IndyCar championship could be put out of reach.

12. Conway looks to sign off his 2014 IndyCar campaign with third win in Sonoma

Aug 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

ConwayLB2 AP

If Mike Conway wins Sonoma this weekend, he’ll have his third win of 2014, and tie Will Power and Ryan Hunter-Reay with the most in the IndyCar field.

13. Indy Lights: Ryan Phinny, Casamigos switch to Belardi for Sonoma

Aug 20, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Photo: Indy Lights Photo: Indy Lights

Gabby Chaves to get new teammate in form of Ryan Phinny for Sonoma, at Indy Lights weekend finale.

14. NBA legend Dominique Wilkins made it to Milwaukee last weekend with Kimball’s crew

Aug 20, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

KimballMKE Getty Images

NBA legend Dominique Wilkins tours Charlie Kimball’s No. 83 team during the Milwaukee IndyCar weekend.

15. Andre Lotterer confirmed for Caterham debut at Spa

Aug 20, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

LottererDebut Getty Images

Le Mans champion Andre Lotterer confirmed for surprise Formula One debut with Caterham at this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix.

16. NASCAR: Toyota working to find more horsepower for engines

Aug 19, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT

Pure Michigan 400 Getty Images

Last year, reliability was the problem for Toyota’s engines, not power. This year, the situation has been reversed, and Toyota Racing Development’s president says they’re hunting for more performance ahead of the Chase.

17. NASCAR AMERICA: Crew chief Gustafson key to Jeff Gordon’s renaissance (VIDEO)

Aug 19, 2014, 8:07 PM EDT

Sprint All-Star Race - Practice Getty Images

Alan Gustafson may not be as well-known as other crew chiefs, but it’s clear that he’s played a big role in Jeff Gordon’s success this season. The NASCAR AMERICA crew breaks down what’s made them such a good pair together.

18. NASCAR AMERICA: New home, new sponsor for Edwards and Suarez (VIDEO)

Aug 19, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT

Daniel Suarez AP

NASCAR AMERICA talks about Carl Edwards and Daniel Suarez’s move to Joe Gibbs Racing – and the impact of their new sponsor, telecommunications equipment company ARRIS.

19. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA follows JGR’s big day at 6:30 p.m. ET

Aug 19, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT

Daniel Suarez, Carl Edwards AP

Coming up today: Reaction from 2015 JGR drivers Carl Edwards and Daniel Suarez, and current JGR Cup drivers Denny Hamlin and Kyle Busch; No. 24 crew chief Alan Gustafson on the team’s win at Michigan; the Michigan edition of “Scan All 43.”

20. NASCAR: Truck Series preparing for Bristol on short week

Aug 19, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

UNOH 200 Getty Images

Four days after racing in Michigan, the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series faces the high banks of Bristol Motor Speedway in Wednesday night’s UNOH 200.

Video from NASCAR America