In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EST

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. F1 cars to be fitted with high-speed cameras from 2016 to aid accident analysis and investigations

Feb 27, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

AUTO-PRIX-BRA-F1-RACE Getty Images

F1 Commission agrees on changes for 2016 season in a bid to help aid investigations into accidents.

2. Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering

Feb 27, 2015, 9:32 AM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Practice Getty Images

American driver secures a seat in GP2 after a turbulent 2014 campaign.

3. FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia”

Feb 27, 2015, 9:17 AM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Previews Getty Images

FIA confirms that Manor Marussia does have a place on the grid in 2015, relying it complies with the new technical regulations.

4. Force India VJM08 breaks cover in Barcelona

Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EST

© Force India © Force India

26 days after the rest of the F1 field, Force India gets its 2015 car out on track for the first time.

5. Fernando Alonso thanks fans for support following crash

Feb 27, 2015, 7:41 AM EST

AUTO-F1-ESP-TEST-MCLAREN Getty Images

Spaniard posts a video on YouTube giving an update on his condition.

6. Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Thursday

Feb 26, 2015, 4:00 PM EST

Kvyat 262 Getty Images

Massa flourishes, McLaren and Mercedes flounder, and Ferrari goes all 50 Shades of Rosso Corsa…

7. Massa: Williams improving, but still trailing Mercedes

Feb 26, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

AUTO-F1-ESP-TEST-WILLIAMS Getty Images

Brazilian driver still believes that Mercedes has the best car in F1 this year.

8. Hamilton loses afternoon running due to MGU-K failure

Feb 26, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Hamilton 262a Getty Images

Briton still manages to finish third on Thursday, but is limited to just 48 laps following the power unit issue.

9. Sainz Jr. pleased with Toro Rosso upgrades in final test

Feb 26, 2015, 1:45 PM EST

AUTO-PRIX-F1-ESP-TEST Getty Images

F1 rookie happy with the final raft of updates on the STR10 ahead of the first race of the year in Australia.

10. Carmen Jorda joins Lotus F1 Team as development driver

Feb 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EST

© Lotus F1 Team © Lotus F1 Team

Spanish racer will get a chance to test the E23 Hybrid out on track at least once in 2015.

11. Massa fastest for Williams as final F1 pre-season test begins

Feb 26, 2015, 12:01 PM EST

Massa 262 Getty Images

Brazilian driver posts the fastest time of testing so far; underpins pace with mighty haul of laps.

12. Gutierrez excited by possibility of Mexican GP practice run-out

Feb 26, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

Ferrari Filming Day Getty Images

Ferrari reserve driver speaks after completing his first running in the new SF15-T at a filming day in Barcelona.

13. Hydraulic leak sidelines Button and McLaren once again in Barcelona

Feb 26, 2015, 10:00 AM EST

F1 Testing In Barcelona - Day One Getty Images

More woe for McLaren on day one of the final F1 pre-season test in Barcelona.

14. Webber: Vettel needed fresh motivation in F1

Feb 26, 2015, 9:00 AM EST

Ferrari Filming Day Getty Images

Ex-Red Bull driver believes that Vettel will be rejuvenated following his move to Ferrari for 2015.

15. Hulkenberg to debut new Force India on Friday afternoon

Feb 26, 2015, 8:15 AM EST

Hulkenberg 262 Getty Images

The VJM08 will finally make its on-track debut with three days to go in winter testing.

16. Ron Dennis clears up Alonso crash rumors; confirms he was briefly knocked unconscious but was not concussed

Feb 26, 2015, 7:27 AM EST

Alonso 262 Getty Images

McLaren CEO meets with the media to quash incorrect reports surrounding Alonso’s accident in testing.

17. DiZinno: The dilemma for Justin Wilson and others, is teams as much as budget

Feb 25, 2015, 5:13 PM EST

Shell And Pennzoil Grand Prix Of Houston Getty Images

Justin Wilson’s offseason plight isn’t only budget-related, but due to a reduced number of available opportunities in IndyCar.

18. American Brad Hollinger increases stake in Williams up to 10 percent

Feb 25, 2015, 2:45 PM EST

Felipe Massa, Valtteri Bottas AP

Brad Hollinger’s investment in Williams’ ownership moves from 5 to 10 percent.

19. F1: Lineups thus far for final Barcelona test

Feb 25, 2015, 2:21 PM EST

F1 Testing In Barcelona - Day Two Getty Images

Lineups and running order ahead of this week’s Barcelona test.

20. Szafnauer: First test focused on tires, Wehrlein evaluation

Feb 25, 2015, 11:27 AM EST

PascalFI Getty Images

What Force India couldn’t gain in car evaluation it could gain in 2015 tire and different driver evaluation last week in Barcelona.