In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken

Apr 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

keselowski

Even though much of NASCAR is on its annual Easter break, a re-released interview with 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski is definitely going to have tongues once again wagging over the next few days.

Since last season, when he failed to defend his 2012 title, Keselowski has become reflective in several interviews, talking about a variety of subjects including his upbringing, his early-career feud with Carl Edwards and other topics.

A segment of an episode of  the syndicated “In Depth With Graham Bensinger” from late 2012 that featured an interview with Keselowski shortly after he won the Cup crown was re-released three days ago as part of a new program including an interview with defending and six-time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson.

Bensinger’s syndicated show can be seen on various TV outlets and web sites, including Yahoo Sports.

Keselowski – looking perhaps as somber as we’ve ever seen him, at times seemingly ready to break into tears – discusses how heartbroken, if not potentially betrayed he felt in 2009 when team owner Rick Hendrick picked Mark Martin to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet instead of giving Keselowski the opportunity, even though Bad Brad insists Hendrick had previously promised him that ride in 2010.

Keselowski also talks prominently about how Roger Penske approached him back in 2008, inquiring if the young talent would be interested in joining Team Penske.

“He called me and wanted to know what my situation was essentially,” Keselowski said. “I knew I wanted to do the Hendrick opportunity and go for that. But this is Roger Penske. How can I say no to at least a chance to meet him, so I met him. I sat in that office and he talked to me and I just wanted to hear him talk. I never met the guy, I just wanted to hear him talk. I didn’t know what he had to say.”

Keselowski appreciated Penske’s outreach, but elected to remain with JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, believing that he was the heir apparent for the Hendrick-owned No. 5 in 2010.

“I knew what (Penske) meant to the sport, I knew what he meant to Detroit (Keselowski is a native of suburban Detroit),” Keselowski said. “… At the end (of their conversation), he asked me a very simple question, ‘Are you interested?’ I told him I’m a loyal guy, I’ve already made another commitment, but I have a feeling I’ll be back.”

Keselowski’s loyalty to Hendrick didn’t exactly work out the way he thought it would, and as he predicted, Keselowski eventually took Penske up on his offer.

Keselowski recalls it all with crystal clarity as if it happened yesterday.

“As soon as Mark Martin won that race (Phoenix, spring 2009), I knew what that meant, I knew what when he won meant. As soon as he won that race, I knew I wasn’t going to get the ride at Hendrick Motorsports in 2010, the one essentially we’d talked about and I’d been promised. … As soon as (Martin) won Phoenix, he walked up to Mr. Hendrick and said he wanted to drive the car for the next year or two, which essentially there was no spot for me.”

When Bensinger asked Keselowski if he feels Hendrick betrayed him, Keselowski demurred somewhat.

“I never really thought of it as betrayal, I guess,” Keselowski said. “Maybe I did, I don’t know. It was more heartbroken, more chippy. Maybe that’s something that comes from a sense of betrayal, but that’s a strong word. I would say it definitely added fuel to the fire of who I am and my desire to be the best.”

Click on the link below. Some of Keselowski’s comments are definitely eye-opening.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Chase Elliott keeps winning, but he’s not finished capturing checkered flags this season by any stretch

Jul 22, 2014, 1:38 AM EDT

Chase Elliott after Saturday's win at Chicagoland Speedway. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh) AP

With the third win of his rookie Nationwide Series career, Chase Elliott continued to make it look easy in this past Saturday night’s EnjoyIllinois.com 300 at Chicagoland Speedway.

2. NASCAR: Bubba Wallace prepares for Eldora’s “Mudsummer Classic” (VIDEO)

Jul 21, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT

(Photo: Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images) Getty Images

For Wallace and his Truck Series rivals, racing on dirt presents a different set of challenges – and thus requires a different way to train.

3. NASCAR’s Brian France on RTA’s formation: “We didn’t think it was necessary”

Jul 21, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT

Brian France AP

In a satellite radio interview, France shared his thoughts on the consortium of NASCAR’s most powerful teams.

4. IMSA: IndyCar rookie Hawksworth to make sports car debut in Brickyard GP

Jul 21, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT

Jack Hawksworth AP

Jack Hawksworth will co-drive the No. 08 Prototype Challenge car for RSR Racing in Friday’s IMSA event on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course.

5. Eldora and Indy putting a lot on Tony Stewart’s plate

Jul 21, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT

Will the 16th time be the charm for Tony Stewart in Sunday's Daytona 500? Getty Images

Between his Eldora Speedway hosting the Truck Series and then competing at Indianapolis this weekend in Sprint Cup, Stewart’s in the middle of a busy week.

6. Everything you need to know for Sunday’s Brickyard 400 at Indy

Jul 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT

Juan Pablo Montoya AP

All the notes and numbers to keep in mind for NASCAR’s visit to Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

7. Hamlin best among NASCAR trio in American Century Champ. golf tourney (PHOTOS)

Jul 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Pocono 400 - Practice Getty Images

One last bit of fun for Hamlin, Ricky Stenhouse Jr., and Michael Waltrip before the Sprint Cup Series returns to action at Indianapolis.

8. Brickyard 400 ad promises “roundhouse of awesome, square in your facehole” (VIDEO)

Jul 21, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT

Ryan Newman AP

Indianapolis Motor Speedway delivers a bizarre take on the classic “Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!” ads.

9. Back to Bark River: TORC returns to Michigan’s U.P. (SPOILER)

Jul 21, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

TORCLogo

Writer’s Note: The following is a recap of this weekend’s TORC: The Off-Road Championship races from Bark River, Michigan. NBCSN will air the races on Sun., Aug. 3, at 1:30 p.m. ET. If you don’t want to know who won until then, we suggest you find another post to read here on MotorSportsTalk…

10. IndyCar: Chevy captures doubleheader podium sweep in Toronto

Jul 21, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

ChevyTOR Getty Images

Chevrolet dominates the results sheet for IndyCar in Toronto.

11. Pirelli World Challenge’s GT classes double up in Canada (SPOILER)

Jul 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

WC

Writer’s Note: The following is a recap of this weekend’s Pirelli World Challenge races from the streets of Toronto. NBCSN will broadcast the Toronto races on Sunday, Aug. 10, at 1:30 p.m. ET. If you don’t want to know who won until then, we suggest you find another post to read here on MotorSportsTalk…

12. IndyCar: Coyne, SFHR, RLL tire gambles come up snake eyes in Toronto

Jul 21, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

WilsonTORlead Getty Images

Quartet of Hondas could have stolen the second of the Honda Indy Toronto races if not for the final red flag.

13. IndyCar: Penske pair edge ahead in points at end of Toronto weekend

Jul 21, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

PenskeTOR AP

Podiums and successful damage limitation pay dividends for Team Penske teammates Will Power and Helio Castroneves in Toronto.

14. Conway: I had to be calm and seize my moment

Jul 21, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

ConwayTOR3 AP

Opportunistic Mike Conway and Ed Carpenter Racing delivered on their opportunity to succeed once again in Toronto.

15. Bourdais conquers the seven-year road back to an IndyCar race win

Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

BourdaisTOR12 AP

Sebastien Bourdais is back to winning form in the Verizon IndyCar Series – and that’s a good thing for him and the series.

16. Button: I overreacted to Hamilton’s overtake

Jul 21, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Germany - Qualifying Getty Images

JB and Lewis went toe-to-toe in Germany, and although Button wasn’t pleased at first, he soon realised he overreacted.

17. Massa points the finger at Magnussen for first corner crash

Jul 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Germany - Race Getty Images

Stewards deem it to be a racing incident, but Massa is less than impressed by Magnussen’s move.

18. Nico Hulkenberg satisfied to continue points streak

Jul 21, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Germany - Qualifying Getty Images

German driver continues his points scoring streak on home soil.

19. NHRA finals at Bandimere: Robert Hight over John Force in Funny Car, J.R. Todd wins first Top Fuel race since 2008

Jul 21, 2014, 12:32 AM EDT

Robert Hight, foreground, defeated father-in-law and boss John Force in the finals of Sunday's NHRA Mopar Mile-High Nationals at Bandimere Speedway. (Photo courtesy NHRA) Robert Hight, foreground, defeated father-in-law and boss John Force in the finals of Sunday's NHRA Mopar Mile-High Nationals at Bandimere Speedway. (Photo courtesy NHRA)

If you’re an NHRA Funny Car fan and weren’t able to attend in person, suffice to say it was a heck of a battle in Sunday’s finals of the Mopar Mile-High Nationals at Bandimere Speedway in suburban Denver.

20. Todd Gilliland, 14, outdistances father David, grandfather Butch in first time they’ve all raced together

Jul 20, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT

Butch, David and Todd (from left) Gilliland raced together for the first time ever at Irwindale Speedway in Southern California. (Photo courtesy the Gilliland family) Butch, David and Todd (from left) Gilliland raced together for the first time ever at Irwindale Speedway in Southern California. (Photo courtesy the Gilliland family)

Todd Gilliland has learned virtually everything he knows about racing from his father, Sprint Cup driver David Gilliland, and grandfather and dominating former west coast racer Butch Gilliland.