Apr 19, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
With the possibility of rain for tomorrow’s World Endurance Championship season opener at Silverstone, Mark Webber is expecting a six-hour race filled with challenges.
The former F1 competitor, now driving for Porsche’s factory team, will start sixth on the grid in the No. 20 919 Hybrid that he co-drives with Timo Bernhard and Brendon Hartley.
The Aussie figures that the result was solid considering the lack of preparation going into today’s qualifying.
“One hour of free practice wasn’t a lot to get two guys and the car ready for qualifying and to practice the qualifying procedures,” Webber said in a release.
“Nevertheless, we had an eye on race preparation and kept doing set-up changes. In qualifying, we might have left a bit of performance out there, but the team did a very good job.
“A possible wet race would give us an extra challenge on the operational side as well as on track. Despite the temporary four-wheel drive, any race car on the limit in the wet needs the maximum respect.”
Porsche’s sister car, the No. 14, ended up third on the grid behind the No. 7 Toyota and No. 1 Audi. Altogether, the team was pleased with how the day went.
“Positions three and six are more than satisfactory for our new team,” said Porsche LMP1 vice president Fritz Enzinger. “We have tough months of preparation work behind us. We used to say, ‘Who takes time to breath has lost the battle.’ I feel very happy for every single team member.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 1
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 5