Apr 20, 2014, 5:30 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has spoken of his delight after winning today’s Chinese Grand Prix with a peerless lights-to-flag victory that marked his third straight win.
The British driver led every lap of the race after starting from pole position, and ultimately finished over 18 seconds ahead of teammate Nico Rosberg. This hat-trick of wins is the first in Hamilton’s Formula 1 career, and he made no secret of his happiness on the podium after the race.
“I really couldn’t do all this without the hard work of the team, I mean it’s incredible,” Hamilton said. “Honestly I can’t believe how amazing the car is, and how hard everyone has worked.
“The results we’re getting is a real true showing of all the hard work we’ve done.”
However, Hamilton has not had it all his own way this weekend. After free practice two on Friday, his team had to make a number of changes to the car after he felt uncomfortable driving it, but it soon came together as he dominated proceedings today.
“Surprisingly, after P2 I had to make a lot of changes in anticipation for today even though yesterday was wet,” he said. “It worked perfectly and I was able to look after the tires, and after that it was just really racing myself.I did lose a lot of time after the first stop, but it was great.”
With Rosberg in second, the result marks Mercedes’ third straight one-two finish, and Hamilton was pleased for his teammate despite there being some signs of tension between the two sides of the garage this weekend.
“I’m really happy Nico is up here with us, it’s great points for the team, and they really deserve it,” he said.
Hamilton still trails Rosberg by four points in the drivers’ championship, but with three wins on the bounce, he undoubtedly has the momentum heading to the start of the European season in Spain.
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52