Apr 20, 2014, 5:10 PM EST
Trophies and big paychecks are no longer the only things a NASCAR Sprint Cup driver and team get when they win a race.
Now they get a free big breakfast, too.
According to Statesville.com, the Boxcar Grille in Statesville, N.C., has begun serving breakfast to winning teams in the Charlotte area after they return from capturing a Cup race.
Last Wednesday, just before breaking for the Easter holiday, an estimated 250 hungry employees of Stewart-Haas Racing were served breakfast in celebration of Kevin Harvick‘s win at Darlington on April 12.
“It’s cool for us because you sit there and watch a national sport on TV, and it affects what you do that week,” Boxcar Grille catering manager Kevin Crouse told Statesville.com.
“And now that the teams are getting to know us, they’re watching their teams race and looking forward to us coming for breakfast. That’s what was said to me at Penske Racing last week.”
If you think this is just some simple continental breakfast, think again. Boxcar Grille lays out a huge spread including eggs, bacon, hash browns, biscuits and gravy.
Teams are even beginning to use the celebratory breakfasts, which are furnished by series sponsor Sprint, as an added incentive to give their all to reach victory lane each week.
“We used to get bagels and muffins, and it was good for what it was, but it was the same thing all the time,” SHR employee Joe Dimillo said. “Now we get a variety and it’s all hot food, so we try to win every week.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 3
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3