Apr 20, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton is chasing his third straight win in China today, and after claiming pole position in the wet qualifying session, he has given himself every chance of doing so. However, with Daniel Ricciardo, Sebastian Vettel and teammate Nico Rosberg all waiting in the wings, we could be set for a Shanghai surprise on Sunday.
You can watch the Chinese Grand Prix live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 2:30am ET. CLICK HERE to watch via live stream.
When the skies darkened and the heavens opened over the Shanghai International Circuit on Saturday afternoon, it appeared to threaten Mercedes’ dominance as Red Bull and Ferrari sought to end the Silver Arrows’ streak of poles. Instead, the gap remained just as great as it always was as Hamilton beat Ricciardo into second place by six-tenths of a second.
However, in the sister Mercedes, Rosberg was less fortunate as he made two uncharacteristic errors and ended up in fourth place. He will need to make a good start to avenge his Bahrain defeat.
Although it remains dry at the moment, rain could strike during the race and spark a strategic fight for supremacy. Whatever the weather, the Mercedes turf war is set to rumble on, but a number of sub-plots will unfold during the race today.
Remember, you can watch the race live from 2:30am ET. CLICK HERE to watch via live stream.
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 1
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3