Apr 22, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
There aren’t too many “bogey tracks” on the Verizon IndyCar Series for Justin Wilson, but Barber Motorsports Park has been one of them.
Wilson hasn’t yet been at the front of the field at this circuit, and is yet to improve on his best finish set in the first Barber race of seventh in 2010. Contact took him out in 2011; in his first time at the track with Dale Coyne Racing in 2012, the team struggled on setup and started and finished 19th; a year ago, Wilson started and finished eighth.
In total, four starts have netted an average start of 10.8 and average finish of 13.3.
Armed with better pace from testing – Wilson ended second in the series’ official preseason test, only 0.0038 of a second off pace setter Will Power – and the motivation of wanting to bounce back from getting hit like a piñata at Long Beach (he was hit by both Graham Rahal and Scott Dixon), Wilson should be considered a podium contender this weekend in the No. 19 Boy Scouts of America Honda.
“I’m looking forward to Barber, we had a very good test there,” Wilson said in a pre-race release. “The car is working well and I’m looking forward to going back. Barber is always a fantastic race. It seems like it’s impossible to overtake there, but in the race as the tires start to wear out – we abuse them because of the high G-forces – there is a lot of movement and usually makes for an exciting and interesting race.”
Wilson’s last podium finish came on the series’ most recent road course event, Sonoma last August, where he finished a 2013 season-best second.
NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra will have coverage of Sunday’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama starting at 1:30 p.m. ET.
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0