Apr 23, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III is used to beatin’ and bangin’ on a football field.
There certainly will be a lot of that in Saturday night’s Toyota Owners 400 NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Richmond International Raceway.
And RG III will have a front row seat to all the action as the track announced Wednesday that the ‘Skins’ QB will serve as honorary pace car driver for the race.
Griffin has buddy – and diehard Redskins fan – Dale Earnhardt Jr. to thank for putting him together with track officials to bring about the pace car opportunity.
Earnhardt, who began using Twitter (@DaleJr) just two months ago, right after his season-opening win in the Daytona 500, tweeted Griffin (@RGIII) a few weeks ago, inviting him to hang out together at the race.
Junior extrapolated things further by asking Griffin, as well as track officials, if the signal-caller could drive the pace car for Saturday’s race.
Griffin will go through an abbreviated training camp of sorts before the race, with official pace car training. He’ll also hang out with Earnhardt and then have a personally guided garage tour by none other than former Redskins coach and NASCAR team owner Joe Gibbs.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Rosberg beats rain, red flags and Vettel for Hungary pole 0
- VIDEO: Hamilton’s qualifying goes up in flames after engine fire 0
- Sebastian Vettel “absolutely committed” to Red Bull 0
- Hamilton completes his clean sweep in Hungary FP3 0
- Juan Pablo Montoya, Will Power go looking for fun, wind up with ‘Sex Tape’ 1