Patrick Carpentier returns to race Quebec’s famed Circuit Trois-Rivieres for first time in nearly 20 years
Apr 24, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
It has taken him nearly 20 years, but Patrick Carpentier is going back home to race.
A veteran of several race series in his career including CART (5 wins), GP3R (2 wins), IndyCar and NASCAR, the Quebec, Canada native will return to the Circuit Trois-Rivieres street course for his first-ever FIA World Championship Rallycross race August 7-8.
Carpentier will drive a VW Polo Supercar for Marklund Motorsport.
The Trois-Rivieres rallycross circuit is unique in that the layout includes both asphalt and dirt racing surfaces. But Carpentier has raced before on dirt in motocross, something many race fans may not be aware of, thinking he’s solely a four-wheel racer.
“When I heard that Le Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières would host a round of the FIA World Rallycross Championship, I immediately wanted to be a part of it,” Carpentier said in a WRC media release. “I always loved dirt racing, powerful cars and excitement. This series has it all. I have been working on a deal for some time and it finally just materialized.”
It will be Carpentier’s first significant race since a one-off deal in NASCAR’s Nationwide Series in 2012. He’s been semi-retired since.
It will also be the first time that Carpentier has raced at the Trois-Rivieres circuit in nearly 20 years, having won both rounds of the Formula Atlantic Championship there in 1996.
“Last time I raced in Trois-Rivières, we had a doubleheader and we won both events on the same weekend,” Carpentier said. “This will be my first event in this form of racing but through some help and support from Marley’s Mellow Mood, I’m very excited to be driving for Jan Marklund’s race team.
“Most of all, we want to enjoy the ride and this will be a great event this summer. This is a new kind of racing that fans will embrace.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 2
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 1
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1