Patrick Carpentier returns to race Quebec’s famed Circuit Trois-Rivieres for first time in nearly 20 years
Apr 24, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
It has taken him nearly 20 years, but Patrick Carpentier is going back home to race.
A veteran of several race series in his career including CART (5 wins), GP3R (2 wins), IndyCar and NASCAR, the Quebec, Canada native will return to the Circuit Trois-Rivieres street course for his first-ever FIA World Championship Rallycross race August 7-8.
Carpentier will drive a VW Polo Supercar for Marklund Motorsport.
The Trois-Rivieres rallycross circuit is unique in that the layout includes both asphalt and dirt racing surfaces. But Carpentier has raced before on dirt in motocross, something many race fans may not be aware of, thinking he’s solely a four-wheel racer.
“When I heard that Le Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières would host a round of the FIA World Rallycross Championship, I immediately wanted to be a part of it,” Carpentier said in a WRC media release. “I always loved dirt racing, powerful cars and excitement. This series has it all. I have been working on a deal for some time and it finally just materialized.”
It will be Carpentier’s first significant race since a one-off deal in NASCAR’s Nationwide Series in 2012. He’s been semi-retired since.
It will also be the first time that Carpentier has raced at the Trois-Rivieres circuit in nearly 20 years, having won both rounds of the Formula Atlantic Championship there in 1996.
“Last time I raced in Trois-Rivières, we had a doubleheader and we won both events on the same weekend,” Carpentier said. “This will be my first event in this form of racing but through some help and support from Marley’s Mellow Mood, I’m very excited to be driving for Jan Marklund’s race team.
“Most of all, we want to enjoy the ride and this will be a great event this summer. This is a new kind of racing that fans will embrace.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 1
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 6
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 23
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3