Apr 25, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
The next chapter of now-retired IndyCar driver Dario Franchitti’s life will be spent in part in front of a television camera.
Officials of the new Formula E race series, which begins in September with its debut race in Beijing, China, announced Friday that Franchitti will be part of the broadcast team on the series’ 10 races in the inaugural 2014-15 season.
The four-time IndyCar Series champion and three-time Indianapolis 500 winner will be part of a broadcast team that includes fellow announcers Jack Nicholls, Nicki Shields and Robert Llewellyn, according to AutoSport.com.
“It is no secret that I have a passion for the history and evolution of motorsports,” Franchitti told FiaFormulaE.com. “To be on the team that will now cover an exciting new racing category is a great honor and I can’t wait to see how the Formula E cars perform when the lights go out in Beijing.”
Formula E cars are electric powered and the series is overseen by FIA.
“We get to see some great racing with the totally new twist of an electric car,” Franchitti said. “It’s going to be fascinating to see how that works – and from a driver’s standpoint, the intricacies of driving it with that instant torque delivery.
“Some of the drivers that are coming on board look amazing. I’m really looking forward to it.”
Franchitti will also continue as a consultant to Chip Ganassi Racing, as well. Franchitti was forced to retire from racing after suffering serious injuries in a wreck late last season in a race in Houston.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- DiZinno: Mid-Ohio a dream weekend for Rahal, IndyCar, fans 0
- Dates for 2016 IndyCar schedule starting to come together 3
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 5
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 1
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 4
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 13
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 4