Apr 25, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
After suffering an embarrassing double retirement in the first round of the 2014 FIA World Endurance Championship season at Silverstone last weekend, defending world champions Audi are looking to hit back at the 6 Hours of Spa on May 3.
In addition to the #1 and #2 cars that will take part at every round on the WEC calendar this year, Audi will also field a third car for the race at Spa-Francorchamps as well as the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June. This will be driven by WEC debutant Felipe Albuquerque and Marco Bonanomi, with third driver Oliver Jarvis missing the race in Belgium due to other commitments.
“Following all the tests, I’m now excited about my first race in the Audi R18 e-tron quattro,” Albuquerque said. “We prepared step by step and are hoping for a good race. The car is great fun. I can hardly wait for my stint.”
Bonanomi is also keen on repeating his podium finish at last year’s race, which was won by the #1 car of Marcel Fassler, Andre Lotterer and Benoit Treluyer.
“I’m very happy about being able to race for Audi again,” the Italian said. “We’ll be driving a car with different aerodynamics than the two sister race cars.
“We do this to prepare for our Le Mans commitment. After our tests with this body version, I’m confident. And within the squad of Audi Sport, Audi Sport Team Joest and among the drivers the atmosphere is good, too.”
Audi will also debut the ‘long tail’ R18 eTron Quattro at Spa, and all at Ingolstadt will be keen on bouncing back after such a disappointing result at Silverstone.
- Sam Schmidt’s inspirational lap in SAM Project, Arrow Corvette on NBC Nightly News (VIDEO, PHOTOS) 0
- Hamilton may have won again, but it was Raikkonen and Rosberg who stood out in Bahrain 9
- Scott Dixon breaks through for elusive Long Beach win 3
- Hamilton pleased to fend off Ferrari in Bahrain despite last lap brake scare 1
- Hamilton puts on a show under the lights to win Bahrain GP 6
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1