Apr 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Juan Pablo Montoya had his best Friday yet upon his return to the Verizon IndyCar Series, ending eighth on the combined timesheets from the two 45-minute practice sessions at Barber Motorsports Park.
Montoya, who’s traded his usual red and white Verizon livery for a blue and white PPG one adorning his No. 2 Team Penske Chevrolet, comes into the weekend with extended track testing under his belt over the winter.
The Colombian was just 0.1649 off teammate Will Power and 0.1301 off fellow teammate Helio Castroneves. Thing was Power was fourth and Castroneves sixth; such is the tight nature of the entire field. He was 0.3559 off overall leader Ryan Hunter-Reay.
“The PPG Chevy was really good in the first session. I was able to push it a little harder than I did at Long Beach and it looked like it we were making big gains,” Montoya said.
But like seven other drivers, Montoya failed to improve in the hotter afternoon session. He was fifth in the morning but just 17th later on Friday.
“For some reason the speed fell off in the afternoon. Not sure why that was but we’ll figure it out before qualifying tomorrow. Qualifying continues to be very important for us and tomorrow will be no different.”
Montoya has starts of 18th and 16th in two races this year. He seeks his first top-12 effort tomorrow and potentially his first Firestone Fast Six appearance if he continues to advance.
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 4
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 15