Apr 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Juan Pablo Montoya had his best Friday yet upon his return to the Verizon IndyCar Series, ending eighth on the combined timesheets from the two 45-minute practice sessions at Barber Motorsports Park.
Montoya, who’s traded his usual red and white Verizon livery for a blue and white PPG one adorning his No. 2 Team Penske Chevrolet, comes into the weekend with extended track testing under his belt over the winter.
The Colombian was just 0.1649 off teammate Will Power and 0.1301 off fellow teammate Helio Castroneves. Thing was Power was fourth and Castroneves sixth; such is the tight nature of the entire field. He was 0.3559 off overall leader Ryan Hunter-Reay.
“The PPG Chevy was really good in the first session. I was able to push it a little harder than I did at Long Beach and it looked like it we were making big gains,” Montoya said.
But like seven other drivers, Montoya failed to improve in the hotter afternoon session. He was fifth in the morning but just 17th later on Friday.
“For some reason the speed fell off in the afternoon. Not sure why that was but we’ll figure it out before qualifying tomorrow. Qualifying continues to be very important for us and tomorrow will be no different.”
Montoya has starts of 18th and 16th in two races this year. He seeks his first top-12 effort tomorrow and potentially his first Firestone Fast Six appearance if he continues to advance.
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 2
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0
- NHRA: New president Peter Clifford full of ideas to get drag racing back on-track 9
- Ryan Briscoe making most of filling in for James Hinchcliffe 1