Apr 25, 2014, 4:31 PM EDT
Just after the end of Nationwide Series qualifying this afternoon, rain hit the Richmond International Raceway and caused NASCAR to scratch Sprint Cup Series qualifying.
That means Cup rookie Kyle Larson will be on pole for tomorrow’s Toyota Owners 400 after he posted the fastest time in today’s first practice session.
Larson turned a lap of 21.280 seconds at 126.880 miles per hour in that session for top honors. He’ll be joined on the front row by Brad Keselowski, who was P2 in Practice 1 with his lap of 21.396 seconds at 126.192 mph.
Clint Bowyer and Kasey Kahne will start from Row 2 on Saturday after going third and fourth in Practice 1. Kevin Harvick and Brian Vickers will start in Row 3, followed by Jamie McMurray and rookie Ryan Truex in Row 4, and Paul Menard and Jimmie Johnson in Row 5.
Other notables include Dale Earnhardt Jr. in 13th, Fall 2013 Richmond winner Carl Edwards in 16th, Sprint Cup points leader Jeff Gordon in 25th, and Danica Patrick in 35th. A full grid can be found here.
At this time, fans at RIR have been advised to take shelter in the event of severe weather. Tonight’s Nationwide Series race is scheduled for a 7 p.m. ET start time, but that may be pushed back to some degree. When there are updates, we’ll pass them along to you.
Tomorrow’s forecast looks clear fortunately, as NBC 12 in Richmond is predicting temperatures around 80 with a minimal chance of rain.
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1