Apr 26, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Last night’s NASCAR Nationwide Series race was contested after several hours’ worth of rain had washed away all of the rubber from the track.
After the ToyotaCare 250 finally got underway, several drivers ran into problems with high rates of tire wear on the green surface.
With that in mind, tire management could wind up playing a major role in who walks away with the trophy in tonight’s Toyota Owners 400 for the Sprint Cup Series.
The Sprint Cup Series is running Goodyear’s multi-zone tread tires on the right side and a softer compound tire on the left side. It marks the first use by Goodyear of the multi-zone technology on a short track.
NASCAR has confirmed that a competition caution will take place at AfLap 40 of tonight’s race for teams to check their tire wear rates.
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 5
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 9
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 1
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 2