Apr 26, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Former IndyCar driver Simona de Silvestro has completed her first Formula 1 test with Sauber in Italy ahead of her planned debut next season.
The Swiss driver was confirmed as an affiliate driver at Sauber earlier this year after spending four years in IndyCar. The team stated that the plan was for her to complete enough testing in 2014 to gain an FIA superlicense – mandatory for all F1 drivers – that would allow her to line up on the grid for the team in 2015.
Today, she had her first test at Ferrari’s Fiorano test circuit in Italy using Sauber’s 2012 car, the C31. Sergio Perez and Kamui Kobayashi scored four podium finishes using the car across the course of that season.
The plan is for de Silvestro to sample the team’s 2014 car at a later date this year, most probably during a practice session or in one of the post-race tests. She will then look to complete the necessary mileage to obtain a superlicense and secure a seat with the team in 2015.
de Silvestro is battling with Sergey Sirotkin, Giedo van der Garde, Esteban Gutierrez and Adrian Sutil for just two seats with the Swiss team next season. However, the effort that the team is clearly putting into her suggests that the odds are stacked in her favor.
Below is a video of Simona talking about her preparation for the test. It is in German, but English subtitles are available by activating captions.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 1
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 5