Apr 26, 2014, 5:23 PM EST
Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III appears to be enjoying himself at Richmond International Raceway ahead of tonight’s Toyota Owners 400 for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
RGIII will serve as the honorary pace car driver for tonight’s 400-lap event at the 3/4-mile oval. His good friend, Sprint Cup superstar Dale Earnhardt Jr., had lobbied for Griffin to be named to the post earlier this month.
In a press conference this afternoon at RIR, Griffin talked about how his friendship with Earnhardt began and noted how they both have to deal with plenty of pressure as famous athletes.
“We kind of understand where each other is coming from,” Griffin said. “I’m a younger guy. I’m 24. I have a lot to learn in this process.
“The more guys you can link up with and talk to about these kinds of experiences, the ups and downs, the highs and lows and the great success — that is a true benefit to anybody.”
In addition to speaking with the press, Griffin also took a pre-race tour of the Cup garage and met up with several major NASCAR personalities.
Video from NASCAR America
- Track executive arrested, charged with lewdness with 19-year-old 0
- Why Hendrick won’t retire the No. 24 6
- Brasilia IndyCar race is canceled 3
- Rick Hendrick: No pressure on Jeff Gordon in final season, he just has to win 14 races and championship 4
- Column: Chase Elliott’s promotion perfectly timed for NASCAR 11
- Chase Elliott will replace Jeff Gordon as No. 24 driver next season 5
- Truex’s girlfriend passes milestone in cancer recovery 0