Apr 26, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III appears to be enjoying himself at Richmond International Raceway ahead of tonight’s Toyota Owners 400 for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
RGIII will serve as the honorary pace car driver for tonight’s 400-lap event at the 3/4-mile oval. His good friend, Sprint Cup superstar Dale Earnhardt Jr., had lobbied for Griffin to be named to the post earlier this month.
In a press conference this afternoon at RIR, Griffin talked about how his friendship with Earnhardt began and noted how they both have to deal with plenty of pressure as famous athletes.
“We kind of understand where each other is coming from,” Griffin said. “I’m a younger guy. I’m 24. I have a lot to learn in this process.
“The more guys you can link up with and talk to about these kinds of experiences, the ups and downs, the highs and lows and the great success — that is a true benefit to anybody.”
In addition to speaking with the press, Griffin also took a pre-race tour of the Cup garage and met up with several major NASCAR personalities.
Video from NASCAR America
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 3
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1