Apr 27, 2014, 5:40 PM EST
One day after he and Marcos Ambrose were caught fighting after the conclusion of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Richmond International Raceway, Casey Mears talked about the incident at a charity 5K run in North Carolina for the Jimmie Johnson Foundation.
Mears and Ambrose argued in the garage before Mears grabbed Ambrose and tried to shove him along. Ambrose would have none of that and managed to punch Mears in the temple before crews broke them up.
According to Alan Cavanna of NASCAR.com, Mears is now sporting a bruise and a swollen left eye, both of which were hidden by sunglasses for much of today’s run.
Mears later admitted to Cavanna that Ambrose “got me pretty good with that shot.” As for the matter of potential payback, he mentioned that such a fracas was not “something you just forget.”
However, he also appeared to commend Ambrose – somewhat.
“One thing I can say is that out of all the NASCAR fights, when you see people swing it’s usually a lot of fly-swatting,” Mears said. “He actually connected, so that was pretty good.”
Ambrose and Mears finished 18th and 19th in last night race, which was won by Joey Logano.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Thursday 0
- Massa fastest for Williams as final F1 pre-season test begins 4
- Ron Dennis clears up Alonso crash rumors; confirms he was briefly knocked unconscious but was not concussed 3
- McLaren confirms Alonso leaves hospital, and is out for final test 0
- Manor targets Melbourne appearance; announces Will Stevens as first driver 2
- Iconic F1 designer Gerard Ducarouge dies at 73 1
- F1: Barcelona 2015 first test cumulative times, lap counts, analysis 0