Apr 27, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
The Chip Ganassi Racing garage at Barber Motorsports Park is likely a very busy place at the moment after Charlie Kimball’s crash halfway through this morning’s warmup for the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama.
The Chip Ganassi Racing driver, who qualified 17th for today’s 90-lap Verizon IndyCar Series race (2:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra), lost control of the No. 83 Novo Nordisk Chevrolet in the Turn 12-13 complex and backed hard into the nearby tire barriers.
INDYCAR has confirmed that Kimball was checked at the infield care center and then cleared to drive.
The impact not only left significant damage to Kimball’s car, but also brought the 30-minute session to an end under red flag conditions with Josef Newgarden’s time of 1:09.2469 (119.572 mph) serving as the fastest.
“I feel badly for the guys, because they’ve worked hard all weekend trying to get me a good car,” Kimball told the IMS Radio Network. “We didn’t quite get there in qualifying – we’re still figuring that out – but I think we have a good race car. I have complete faith in those guys, they’ll get it back together.
“Unfortunately, it’s not the mentality we want to be having going into [today], getting ready for the race. But I think we’ll be in good shape.”
Helio Castroneves was second-quickest in warmup with a time of 1:09.3458, followed by defending Barber race champion Ryan Hunter-Reay in third (1:09.3464).
Rain is in the forecast for today’s race, with a 60 percent chance of the wet stuff this afternoon in the Birmingham region.
Video from NASCAR America
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 18
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6